IGNORED

Help with my Windows Shell

Guest Sprigg

Guest Sprigg

So I downloaded Litestep and installed for the hell of it. Default theme worked fine. I downloaded this:

http://www.ls-themes.org/themes/popsicle.2

and this:

http://www.ls-themes.org/themes/black-velvet-2-dorb-remake

and one of them fucked up somehow. I got some kind of error message like 'could not find hoteky r+ recycle' or some shit, and then everything but my background image disappeared.

The only hotkey that works is the Windows taskmanager one.

Am I fucked? I have no install disk, haven't backed up anything in weeks... I just want my old Windows shell back at this point.

Do I just kill all the Litestep processes? Reboot?

So I downloaded Litestep and installed for the hell of it. Default theme worked fine. I downloaded this:

http://www.ls-themes.org/themes/popsicle.2

and this:

http://www.ls-themes.org/themes/black-velvet-2-dorb-remake

and one of them fucked up somehow. I got some kind of error message like 'could not find hoteky r+ recycle' or some shit, and then everything but my background image disappeared.

The only hotkey that works is the Windows taskmanager one.

Am I fucked? I have no install disk, haven't backed up anything in weeks... I just want my old Windows shell back at this point.

Do I just kill all the Litestep processes? Reboot?

when you installed Litestep there should have been some shortcuts created in your start menu to change the shell over. just use Taskmanager to open up a Windows Explorer window and browse to your start menu folder, double click the shortcut and reboot.

To get back to the normal windows shell, if you can get into regedit (in task manager go to File -> New Task (Run) and type: regedit) go to the following registry folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and make sure the value of 'shell' is explorer.exe

Guest Sprigg

sounds like your fast ram cache might have some corrupted fragments. you could try reinstalling the GPU folders.

uhh...... in n00b terms, please?

I managed to get back to the default theme for Litestep... is it normal to be unable to move the desktop icons around?

I managed to get back to the default theme for Litestep... is it normal to be unable to move the desktop icons around?

yes it is normal - Litestep comes from a UNIX/Posix/Linux background of Window Managers, and generally they didn't have desktop icons back then.

the majority of Litestep users tend to prefer to make their own "clickable" interfaces with their own home-made graphics. others tend to go for a more minimal approach and use keyboard shortcuts to launch apps, or use the LS menu to drill down through folders.

sounds like your fast ram cache might have some corrupted fragments. you could try reinstalling the GPU folders.

uhh...... in n00b terms, please?

Did you reflash your icon cache server to the latest kernal level? Litestep requires kernal level 2.306.01 unless you are using Windows RevertCache 7.0... just FYI

You should be able to solve this problem through the task manager. What version of windows? You should be able to launch explorer.exe from there and be back to the default windows shell more or less.

EDIT: mcbpete has is right, i don't know how exactly litestep roots itself in the system but doing what he says should fix the default shell is explorer. Or if you want to keep lightstep, just launch something from the task manager that can edit files and change the config for what theme is running.

Guest Sprigg

Thanks guys, got it fixed, I think. I somehow reverted to the original, then it worked fine... downloaded a different theme, and it works quite nicely! Not sure if I'll stick with it or not quite yet, but it is extremely aesthetically pleasing.

Pic:

41125_419259588963_590053963_4819917_7726394_n.jpg

Guest Sprigg

Haha, the pointer is from my attempt at steampunking my desktop a year or so ago... I like it, fuck the haters. :trashbear:

It's also the only theme that hasn't crashed on me for some reason, even when all the modules have installed properly.

Guest Sprigg

I enjoy trying out new things, what can I say?

Now that I've had my play with it, I can go back to what I'm used to.. rocketdock > Litestep.

But I DO hate the way the Start Menu looks.

Now that I've had my play with it, I can go back to what I'm used to.. rocketdock > Litestep.

Well, nothing wrong with trying NEW things... :emotawesomepm9:

Guest Sprigg

Okay, I had my fun trying out an OLD thing. Better? :emotawesomepm9:

EDIT: dick

:cisfor:

Okay, I had my fun trying out an OLD thing. Better? :emotawesomepm9:

EDIT: dick

:cisfor:

*fondly remembers the time I installed WindowBlinds* :closedeyes:

Just giving you a hard time...

Archived