IGNORED

The New iPod Touch

beariksson

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the new touch is a bargain. you can get a contractless iphone for $229 (8gb). It has a fucking retina display! RETINA!!! FM radio should have happened.

$49 for a new shuffle is huge. I'll probably get one just to make things easier at the gym.

does it have a mic? if so you can use it as a iphone using skype

Or googlemail phone (at leats in the US and Canada)

yes. you can get a iphone 3gs 8GB for $99 and you can get a ipod touch for like $200. no sense.

99 with a contract (even free), how much does that contract set you back every month?

I might give my old touch to my kid :)

Guest pulsewarrior

the new touch is a bargain. you can get a contractless iphone for $229 (8gb). It has a fucking retina display! RETINA!!! FM radio should have happened.

$49 for a new shuffle is huge. I'll probably get one just to make things easier at the gym.

wwah6.png

yes. you can get a iphone 3gs 8GB for $99 and you can get a ipod touch for like $200. no sense.

sense = $99 with a contract

i am personally really happy with the improvements on the ipod touch, but i've been meaning to get an iphone for awhile now so i'm holding out.

well i got mine free with a contract.

You will evently pay all for your iphone with the data plan over the years.

Goddamn, I really thought I was finally going to be able to get an iPod of my own (my wife and kids have Nanos and Touches, respectively), but since I listen to National Public Radio on my way to work on the bus, I've held off getting one because only with the last gen of Nanos did they put in a FM radio. I was really hoping the Touch would finally get one on the next hardware refresh, but alas, it was not to be (yet).

in theory the iphone chip would be able to receive radio but they simply do not enable the feature (for what ever reason is beyond me) still you can buy some FM transmitter hardware

does it have a mic? if so you can use it as a iphone using skype

You can do iTouch to iPhone calls using Facetime, apparently (over WiFi)

Goddamn, I really thought I was finally going to be able to get an iPod of my own (my wife and kids have Nanos and Touches, respectively), but since I listen to National Public Radio on my way to work on the bus, I've held off getting one because only with the last gen of Nanos did they put in a FM radio. I was really hoping the Touch would finally get one on the next hardware refresh, but alas, it was not to be (yet).

in theory the iphone chip would be able to receive radio but they simply do not enable the feature (for what ever reason is beyond me) still you can buy some FM transmitter hardware

No, I want it as part of the UI, and not some damn thing loosely connected through the charging port on the bottom.

You and the other old farts in the peanut gallery. lol

I'll get off your lawn now.

I listen to National Public Radio on my way to work on the bus, I've held off getting one because only with the last gen of Nanos did they put in a FM radio.

NPR does have a 24 hour stream. Quite good (quality) and useful.

http://www.npr.org/audiohelp/progstream.html

I assume ipod can stream .pls format yes?

I've never owned one. I love using my droid as my mp3 player these days, it is well organized and I just have never gotten into apple stuff, so it's a nice alternative.

I suppose I understand the reasons to have both an iphone/droid and an ipod. I got a nano first, and just recently got a droid. I use both since I have them, but I think I could be happy using just a droid with a larger SD card. Incoming call interruptions and incompatibility with xbox 360 would be the few drawbacks.

i am personally really happy with the improvements on the ipod touch, but i've been meaning to get an iphone for awhile now so i'm holding out.

£35 a month free everything (calls, texts, internet). no complaints.

x's2 on the Cowon. DO IT.

I really think the iPhone is pure sex, but it's one of those luxury items I can't justify the expense. Don't know if things are different overseas, but there are no longer "unlimited" data plans for the iPhone - if you add up all the individual things you need to buy (calls/messaging/data) the cost starts to balloon into something that's (imhop) totally unreasonable. Pretty sure it's more like $90 U.S. or something outlandish like that.

£35 a month free everything (calls, texts, internet). no complaints.

35 quid a month for 2 years = 840 pounds. Yer definitely paying for the iPhone.

I listen to National Public Radio on my way to work on the bus, I've held off getting one because only with the last gen of Nanos did they put in a FM radio.

NPR does have a 24 hour stream. Quite good (quality) and useful.

http://www.npr.org/audiohelp/progstream.html

I assume ipod can stream .pls format yes?

I've never owned one. I love using my droid as my mp3 player these days, it is well organized and I just have never gotten into apple stuff, so it's a nice alternative.

Yes, but unless I have an iPhone with 3G access, I won't be able to use that, since I am on the bus while I listen to NPR. If our METRO buses had free WiFi on them, then that's another matter.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, so it my question may be answered, but is there any word on the audio quality?

I'd like to get one of these, but my Sony mp3 player has damn fine audio, and I wouldn't want to jump if it means a compromise in music quality.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, so it my question may be answered, but is there any word on the audio quality?

I'd like to get one of these, but my Sony mp3 player has damn fine audio, and I wouldn't want to jump if it means a compromise in music quality.

Erm, audio quality would depend on:

A) The quality of the rips of your music

B) The quality of your headphones

Yes, the decoding software on the device matters too, but to my knowledge there's never been complaints about that with any generation of iPods. I think audio from them sounds superb, myself.

supposedly the audio quality on regular ipods (i dont know about touch) has deteriorated each generation.

supposedly the audio quality on regular ipods (i dont know about touch) has deteriorated each generation.

And where'd you hear/read/see/imagine that?

And where'd you hear/read/see/imagine that?

on the internet. It was one of the factors that lead me to buy a zune instead. I remember reading that the audio chips in 2nd or 3rd generation ipods had the best audio chips out of any of their successors, and ipod has been using lower quality audio chips for subsequent generations, with the 6th generation being the "worst". I'm not saying they have bad audio quality, just that they don't make them like they used to.

http://www.wired.com/listening_post/2007/09/ipod-classics-s/

Archived