IGNORED

America: The Thread

vamos scorcho

soooo.... what are we gonna do about the state of things, bro?

i was thinking about moving to Canada for a while, sort of half jokingly. i dunno tho... i'm starting to more seriously want out... so i started considering it... what if they detain me at the airport when i refuse the scan and i can never leave!!!!!

I've seriously thought about moving out. Up until now I've always had faith that the American people wouldn't let themselves be tempted to give up their freedoms for safety, but I'm losing a lot of that faith right now.

I know it seems like such a small, insignificant issue [body scanners], but it's giving the government an inch, when they're sure to take a fucking mile.

Guest Al Hounos

yeah, i have a lot bigger concerns about the US that body scanners. the fact that US corporations just had their most profitable quarter on record while the unemplyment sits at almost 10%. That 1% of the top income earners take home 24% of the total income. That that top 1% pays a tax rate of less than 30%, compared to 91% in the 1950s...

This country sucks. Once I don't have a reason to stay, I'm gonna take advantage of my dual citizenship and move up to Canada. Cold weather is cold, but generally less screwed up country is also generally less screwed up.

i think the tipping point will be when sarah palin gets elected president.

I'd like to think she'd be assassinated before she gets the chance to run. *BAM* Democracy has spoken.

^Lots of dogs in Canada though.

I'll have devise some diabolical plan to deal with this matter...

I've got it!

not live with one :cisfor:

That's actually in my plan no matter where I move next. Never again. I'll live happier and make fewer stupid threads. :happy:

I would agree that there are more important things to worry about.

But I believe that the scanner issue is at the heart of these more important things!

You should note several interesting aspects of the TSA issue though:

1. Everybody basically agrees that it is a problem. That means there is no split in opinion between parties on this issue. Yes, some take advantage or are ignorant or out of the loop of truth and say, "It's the Republicans!" or "It's the Democrats!" But most with a true understanding can see that this has the same effect on everybody.

2. It is THE example of whether or not the people can actually make a difference in those "more important issues" in the first place. If there is a strong, unified movement of the people against the government on this issue, and nothing is done, than the truth of our democracy is successfully revealed. I would hope that an actual change is made. If it is not - then the people know that it really is Us V. Them.

So this is the truth, as I see it, and many others: if we aren't able to fix this issue, we won't be able to fix any single other issue - even if our lives depend on it.

when people do bad things the innocent are the ones who pay. Speed bumps for instance. We all get to fuck our cars up cause a few wiggers like to hang out in parking lots on a friday night. Im guessing they got some intelligence and are doing what they can to prevent something. Cause if something happens you know who will be bitching about it. Terrorists probably want a republican pres. It's good for business and if there is an attack im sure it would help the Palin for president campaign.

when people do bad things the innocent are the ones who pay. Speed bumps for instance. We all get to fuck our cars up cause a few wiggers like to hang out in parking lots on a friday night. Im guessing they got some intelligence and are doing what they can to prevent something. Cause if something happens you know who will be bitching about it. Terrorists probably want a republican pres. It's good for business and if there is an attack im sure it would help the Palin for president campaign.

Speed bumps are there for cars that are pulling out of spaces as well as pedestrians. They are also a bad example because they should definitely be there IMO. Too many fuckwads want to haul ass out of a parking lot, and I don't want to get hit by one of them.

ANALogy

Cant really talk to people that think its all a conspiracy maaan

I don't think it's a conspiracy.

If you look at American politics, American issues, being an American...which is what this thread is about, camaraderie...

you notice that nothing is simple.

As an individual...for instance..."me"...

I have to read through large amounts of news from different sources, often randomly selected and almost always biased, and try to formulate an opinion. Then there is all the history leading up to this point in time and all the examples we can see throughout that history. With all this I can try to figure out what exactly is "going on" so to speak... what the truth is.

On every issue.

Then I have to understand every single aspect of "how things work" politically. How the law works. Terms for things I don't understand. Economy. How things run, so to speak. It helps to know what the hell is going on all around the world too.

Then you have to figure out... what are other people like me thinking/feeling? Like you, marf, on a normal day, what do you do? What do you care about? Do the happenings in your country on a larger scale affect you - does any of it truly matter to you? Do you care?

With the TSA thing... I'm not at the airport. If I was, I would probably just go through the damn scanner so I could get to my destination without trouble.

I am however quite worried about something and I would definitely rather be worried than not, because without question, there is something to be worried about. You dig?

Is the information I've seen actually factual? Am I basing my opinions on nothing? Does anybody agree with me? Who do I go to for truly logical, agreeable discussion? Where do I go? How do I become more knowledgeable on these important issues America is facing? And what can I do to actually change things - beyond writing to congressmen and working to better see reality as it is - not how my own psychology might want me to see it.

MY POINT IS THAT THESE THINGS ARE EXTREMELY COMPLICATED AND TRULY, LOGICALLY GETTING TO THE BOTTOM OF IT IS A GROUP EFFORT SO FORGIVE ME FOR YOUR OWN IRRITABILITY

it sounds like you are complaining more about growing up and being socially aware then you are about this country.

I don't want to seem to be complaining. But you're right. I am facing that. However I'm probably facing it mostly because I feel the pressure coming down hard on me, on America as a whole.

I mainly just wanted to draw attention for a moment to the fact that most everyone is clueless in the face of the moment, and that everyone who takes part in these sort of discussions should seriously put aside some of the more childish/humorous/demeaning elements of socialization in place of logical, respectful discourse.

I do mean it, it's going to be important for people to "evolve" out of the older ways of communicating online.

For example, I'll admit I've said some fucking absurdly ridiculous, terrible, disgusting, horrific, idiotic, moronic, fucking miserably totally and pathetically stupid things here - but even with all that and the constant reminders and knowledge of the differences between one another as internet users and people - often vast differences - we should be respectful when talking about these serious things.

I did just get on a high horse, and there will always be people who are clever, which is mostly acceptable, but still... I really just know deep down that we're all capable of taking things seriously for a moment when it comes to these things.

And a large part of me is embarrassed to post that but what are you gonna do?

Anyway, America.

This past weekend I woke up extremely hungover at my friend's apartment. Well anyway later that morning I randomly brought up the famous "Star Spangled Banner." We slowly began trying to remember the words... singing through it... it turned into this huge event, we were screaming it and getting dramatic. It was like something out of a really good American chick-flick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa-q-ztyZZw

Archived