IGNORED

Game of Thrones

data

u guys shouldnt hate on joffry so much for killing the guy. (but hate on him of some other reasons... :shrug: ) to him, what he knew, he really was the kings son, and ned stark really did plot on him cuz thats what his mom told him. so maybe he throught like ned in the 1st episode where he kills the guy for running away he should kill ned for being an other breaker and the law is the law

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but if the situations were reversed, nedd certainly wouldn't have made joffrey look at his dad's head on a pike. nope, joffrey is a cunt, and i hope that he ends his days burnt to a cinder at the hands of daenerys whilst simultaneously being assraped by hodor.

My friend is so obsessed with this and has been telling me to watch it. He got my mom and cuz watching it. Whats so great about it?

read the thread (or don't, if you dislike spoilers).

i have an aversion to most fantasy, but this is more like the sopranos meets LotR. to some degree, the writers actually manage to make you give a shit about the characters. there's some excellent dialogue (particularly tyrion/littlefinger/varys). and personally i find daenerys to be a very compelling character and i would fuck the living shit out of her.

there have been two very good articles in the last week by salon and ars technica, both of which basically called it the best thing on telly and explaining why, but they're both very spoiler-heavy so i wouldn't read them if you're planning on watching it.

read the thread (or don't, if you dislike spoilers).

i have an aversion to most fantasy, but this is more like the sopranos meets LotR. to some degree, the writers actually manage to make you give a shit about the characters. there's some excellent dialogue (particularly tyrion/littlefinger/varys). and personally i find daenerys to be a very compelling character and i would fuck the living shit out of her.

there have been two very good articles in the last week by salon and ars technica, both of which basically called it the best thing on telly and explaining why, but they're both very spoiler-heavy so i wouldn't read them if you're planning on watching it.

Quick google of Daenery and I relize thats the chick I saw on this one show I was watching at work. We have these TV's at work at the bar and I saw this one chick (who I now know is Daenery) with a see through shirt (so you could see the tits) and was like wtf is this shit... Shows these days. The only reason I was watching is cause of her. I wanted to see them tits jiggle.

I hate to be this guy, as I've obviously read the books and not everyone in this thread has, but..

I think everyone is giving the "writers" of this show too much credit. Theses episodes are more or less verbatim, dialogue and all, from the books. George R.R Martin should be the one getting an Emmy (if that is even possible). I know this isn't top tier literature or anything, but the books are written very well, and aside from a few changes in location etc, I haven't seen any deviation from the book what so ever (minus lengthy descriptive portions of course). The writers and set designers had this shit planned out for them well before there was even a thought of making a tv show. It is illustrated perfectly in the series.

I think the second season (given that they follow the books so well) should be one of the best/even darker than the first. Looking forward to it.

Quick google of Daenery and I relize thats the chick I saw on this one show I was watching at work. We have these TV's at work at the bar and I saw this one chick (who I now know is Daenery) with a see through shirt (so you could see the tits) and was like wtf is this shit... Shows these days. The only reason I was watching is cause of her. I wanted to see them tits jiggle.

i'm from damned romania and i still type better english

I hate to be this guy, as I've obviously read the books and not everyone in this thread has, but..

I think everyone is giving the "writers" of this show too much credit. Theses episodes are more or less verbatim, dialogue and all, from the books. George R.R Martin should be the one getting an Emmy (if that is even possible). I know this isn't top tier literature or anything, but the books are written very well, and aside from a few changes in location etc, I haven't seen any deviation from the book what so ever (minus lengthy descriptive portions of course). The writers and set designers had this shit planned out for them well before there was even a thought of making a tv show. It is illustrated perfectly in the series.

I think the second season (given that they follow the books so well) should be one of the best/even darker than the first. Looking forward to it.

i agree, even without reading the books. but how many examples of awesome books translated to horrible tv are there out there? fucking plenty. the walking dead kinda fizzled near the end of s1. i think moreso the key is that GRRM is so intimately involved in the production. he wrote one episode this season, and is supposed to do another one next season.

if that fucker dies before he finishes the series imma try and reincarnate him just so i can kick the shit out of him and kill him again.

As far as I know, A Dance with Dragons is in the publishers hands. I haven't kept up in Not A Blog recently though, not sure where it stands. That dude talks too much about football and not enough about the shit I want to hear about. Get it together, George. Please me.

As much of a cunt joffrey is the kid who plays him is brilliant and perfect, not hated a character as much since who knows when, not for killing ned but for generally being a spoilt little shit and having a face I long to put my fist through. Sansa is fucking naive, she should blame only herself.

Guest Mirezzi

not for killing ned but for generally being a spoilt little shit and having a face I long to put my fist through.

yeah, this

Guest analogue wings

this isn't top tier literature or anything

I hate to be this other guy but let's keep this part in mind. Any fantasy or sci fi book that has BOOK FIVE OF AN EPIC TWELVE BOOK SAGA on its cover is trash. Simple as that. This shit is a guilty pleasure. The plotlines are basically Dallas or Young and the Restless only there's dragons and tits. Forget about Emmy this or HBO quality novel (lol wtf) that. It's just fun dumb shit.

I hate to be this other guy but let's keep this part in mind. Any fantasy or sci fi book that has BOOK FIVE OF AN EPIC TWELVE BOOK SAGA on its cover is trash. Simple as that. This shit is a guilty pleasure. The plotlines are basically Dallas or Young and the Restless only there's dragons and tits. Forget about Emmy this or HBO quality novel (lol wtf) that. It's just fun dumb shit.

see, now, this (and this, as someone who has a problem with a huge majority of fantasy literature) is actually something i rail against and have a problem with. even LoTR is somewhat looked down on by 'proper' literary critics (granted LotR is totally fucking overrated).

what exactly is beowulf? what exactly is norse mythology, wellspring of a fucking shitload of the oldest texts in the english language. fuck it, what it the odyssey or the iliad? to a lesser degree, what is magic realist literature like gabriel garcia marquez or some paolo coelho? what is yann martel's 'life of pi'? what is ben okri's 'the famished road'? they are all fantasy to a degree. define fantasy.

fantasy is a much-maligned genre. sure, 99% of it is fucking garbage, but there are whole shelves full of thrillers in every airport bookshop in the world that are also fucking garbage. it doesn't matter what the genre is, there's good stuff to be found in there.

mankind has been telling stories about magic and dragons and all that shit for as long as it's existed, we just tend to call the older stuff 'mythology' and the newer, better written stuff something other than 'fantasy'.

Guest analogue wings

thats a nice rebuttal to a diss of fantasy as a genre.

which is not what my post was.

Guest Mirezzi

:aphexsign:

Please, stick around. I'm all alone in here!

thats a nice rebuttal to a diss of fantasy as a genre.

which is not what my post was.

ok;

charles dickens' (hack) stuff was published serially. the bonfire of the vanities was originally published serially. dostoyevsyky's 'the brothers karamazov' and 'crime and punishment' were originally published serially. if your post was a dis against serial novels, i actually don't understand that.

and regarding plotlines; there are only really about twelve of em in the world, with a few variations :duckhunt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetype

please don't misconstrue this post as a defense against GRRM's stuff, which i haven't read - moreso as the fact you're complaining about stuff that holds true for most literature.

Guest analogue wings

dont be so literal. it's a diss of people of mediocre talent who just grind out words to make money. and serialising one novel in a magazine (cf all your examples) is hardly the same thing as grinding out twelve whole novels.

meh, what can i say; an epic, sprawling storyline requires a lot of words. i can't imagine LotR having as much impact if it was written in a stark (pun intended :emotawesomepm9:), beckett-esque manner.

edit: and afaik, it's seven novels?

hey, i get what you're saying. and the show and no doubt the books are to a degree catering to a lowest common denominator, otherwise there wouldn't be as many tits in it. i just think it's nice to see something that gives me the same "doesn't treat the audience like they're morons" feeling that the sopranos did.

Guest analogue wings

I have to admit I'm a bit shocked how close to "good tv" they get just by taking an average fantasy book and filming it with a decent budget. I think it might say more about the level of writing in most tv shows than it does about Mr Martin's oeuvre though. Makes me wonder what would happen if somebody adapted a China Mieville book for TV

Archived