IGNORED

Star Trek Into Darkness

Rubin Farr

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't mean to be a downer, but my interest in seeing this movie has now shrunk down to zero. I guess JJ Abraham's 'secrecy' methods backfired on him this time, because the bad guy is Khan it turns out and the movie is essentially a remake and homage to Wrath of Khan (the first japanese trailer let out a lot o these clues, including a scene from Kirk and Spock touching through glass). Seems pretty lame to me, I'll wait till it comes out on video this time around.

Just seems to almost defeat the purpose of having an alternate timeline if you're just going to remake one of the old movies.

I'd love to see a studio with balls tackle the original Harlan Ellison script for Star Trek the Motion Picture that involves a massive time travel plot where the crew goes back to the prehistoric era, fights dinosaurs and ends up in the 1960s with Spock pulling the trigger to kill JFK.

edit: just my 2 cents, Generations I enjoy because it feels more like a weird episode than a typical star trek action film. I think it stands up in retrospect as probably the best TNG movie that follows the show's tone the closest.

and that's how you use a spoiler tag.

thanks.

III was really good but not as epic as II

IV was comedy cheese fest and I don't know why folk think its so ace

still not convinced with JJ Abrams, although he did a good job injecting a new slant on the franchise his style is a little too busy and upfront which as mentioned doesn't give much replay value which is why I fear the new Star Wars will just be better than average cut and shut churn out

that is really lame they went with that story. I was absolutely loathing the possibility of Khan returning. Hopefully Abrams will leave to do Star Wars and we can get some original stories.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. There's definitely a couple of holes here and there, but it's the most fun I've had at the cinema this year and I'm even more optimistic for the next SW movie.

Guest zaphod

I'd love to see a studio with balls tackle the original Harlan Ellison script for Star Trek the Motion Picture that involves a massive time travel plot where the crew goes back to the prehistoric era, fights dinosaurs and ends up in the 1960s with Spock pulling the trigger to kill JFK.

is this actually real or are you joking? that sounds like something ellison would write, but i've never heard of it. anywhere to see it online?

damn with wikipedia and all the movie tabloid blogs on the net these days it's hard to find those good ole fashioned fan boy websites filled with anecdotal stories. I know I read it somewhere, it might be in one of the gossip star trek books, the one where the angry ex star trek writer relays several stories about Gene Roddenberry being a stoner exhibitionist sex addict. Who used to fuck Uhura in his office on the paramount lot with his window open. It's said that she often would walk into his office wearing nothing but a sweater, which was usually a cue for whoever was visiting him at the time to leave and let them get on with their business.

this is all I could find for now, wikipedia entry for TMP

Ellison's story had a snake-like alien race tampering with Earth's history to create a kindred race; Kirk reunites with his old crew, but they are faced with the dilemma of killing off the reptilian race in Earth's prehistory just to maintain humanity's dominance

a google search for Harlan Ellison Star Trek Dinosaur only gives me like 6 pages, including this thread. The internet is now just a feedback loop of crap

the story was basically Ellison wrote a treatment, i don't think it was a full script. He basically took over and in a manic and borderline psychotic fashion described his plot in extreme detail to paramount executives. I think Gene Roddenberry was totally down to do it, but the studio decided his idea would be the most expensive movie ever made. At the time they were trying to compete with the special effects in star wars, so doing something dinosaur themed would immediately make it seem outdated in comparison within the budget they had.

So I apparently conflated 2 different original Motion Picture ideas together. I guess Gene Roddenberry himself wanted to do the 'enterprise crew saves JFK' plot every time a star trek movie was proposed until he died. The twist was going to be that Spock had some foreknowledge of the consequences of saving JFK that would make the future even worse off (similar to Ellison's City on the Edge of Forever TOS plot). They stop Oswald before he shoots but Spock unbeknownst to the crew is on the grassy knoll and fires the fatal head shot. I think the Ellison dinosaur story involved other time travel elements as well like present day America, which eventually leads them to the prehistoric era to stop the reptilian race from altering earth's timeline.

Guest bitroast

I thoroughly enjoyed it. There's definitely a couple of holes here and there, but it's the most fun I've had at the cinema this year and I'm even more optimistic for the next SW movie.

Agreed. I'm actually surprised at how some of the posts in this thread aren't having any spoiler tags.

What is wrong with some of you?? Spending time researching a movie instead of just watching it / enjoying it fresh (and then posting and spoiling it for others) :-|

maybe I'm an asshole for thinking this, but the stuff I posted earlier if true doesn't really amount to a spoiler since it sounds entirely lifted from the most popular star trek film. What's wrong with me? Well I'm a huge star trek fan and I actually believed for a little while that JJ's 'secret box' marketing plan for the movie had something deeper and more interesting in store than a homage to a previous movie which they denied left and right leading up to the movie's release.

Yeah, that was a pretty massive spoiler, just came back from the film and I must say, it kind of ruined the moment. I'm not a big star trek fan, thought the film was decent, I've only seent the first star trek film, free willy and the odd episode though.

Agreed. I'm actually surprised at how some of the posts in this thread aren't having any spoiler tags.

What is wrong with some of you?? Spending time researching a movie instead of just watching it / enjoying it fresh (and then posting and spoiling it for others) :-|

Gotta agree. I avoided more recent postings in this thread before seeing the film, but having since read some of the posts above the one quoted here, there was some appalling spoilerage going on. Very surprised mods didn't edit the posts at the least.

and still haven't edited them. or at least edit the topic title to warn of spoilers. i mean, the movie isn't even out for nationwide release yet.

i was more than a little miffed. i've been purposefully avoiding the big reveal (it's been online for a couple weeks). wasn't expecting to dance in here and have it spoiled for me. in my experience most folks are pretty cool about that on WATMM, i guess not always though.

Guest zaphod

i mean it was pretty fucking obvious from the trailers where they were headed with this. not to mention that abrams is just a gigantic douche without an original idea in his head who likes to cocktease gullible nerds with his retarded marketing ploys disguised as movies.

whether any or all of that is true, it doesn't excuse the necessity for hiding spoilers at least until release. it's just common watmm community respect for others.

Guest zaphod

honestly, it's the internet, the thread is about the movie, it will most definitely contain spoilers. don't go in the thread. it also says a lot about the quality of films if a spoiler can "ruin" the movie. maybe we shouldn't be watching stuff that relies on a narrative bait and switch to function.

just re-read my original post, and besides me saying that Khan is the 'surprise' villain, I don't see what I spoiled, unless as I feared it is just a beat for beat ripoff of Wrath of Khan? If it is I'm sorry, I had no idea it would be that unoriginal. The spock and kirk Wrath of khan homage wasn't a spoiler since it was in the trailer, and i didn't spoil the significance of that scene unless you'd already seen the Wrath of Khan, and if you had you would instantly recognize the homage from the trailer anyways, so not really a spoiler either.

i don't understand how anyone could think that the reveal of the villain's true identity isn't a spoiler. they've gone through literally hundreds of interviews hiding that.

just re-read my original post, and besides me saying that Khan is the 'surprise' villain, I don't see what I spoiled, unless as I feared it is just a beat for beat ripoff of Wrath of Khan? If it is I'm sorry, I had no idea it would be that unoriginal. The spock and kirk Wrath of khan homage wasn't a spoiler since it was in the trailer, and i didn't spoil the significance of that scene unless you'd already seen the Wrath of Khan, and if you had you would instantly recognize the homage from the trailer anyways, so not really a spoiler either.

the original posts (yours and Philip Glass's) are presented as 'okay this is a confirmed fact' not as just speculation.

I guess JJ Abraham's 'secrecy' methods backfired on him this time, because the bad guy is Khan it turns out and the movie is essentially a remake and homage to Wrath of Khan

doesn't come across as a guess or a discussion, it sounds to me like you read about this somewhere and are telling us...without spoiler tags. Philip Glass takes it further even, quoting and essentially giving away a scene.

they are still officially not discussing it, at least in the mainstream: i saw Benedict Cumberbatch on Letterman a couple nights ago and he wouldn't give away any information more than John Harrison.

none of this is going to make the movie suck. if it sucks, it'll suck no matter. it would've been fun to go in not knowing, but it's the internet, it happens. just trying to make a point so the mods will do something about the thread title at least, and perhaps people will think twice in the future. promoting watmm loveys. :nacmat:

The first Abrams' film restored my faith in the Hollywood 'blockbuster', for want of a better word.

I just thought that it was superlative Spielbergian film-making myself, wasn't expecting an intellectual journey, just lots of PEW-PEW-PEW and lens flare action. I was not disappointed. The characters stuck to the basic tenets of the original crew without going into parody, and made the roles their own. Quinto in particular is just amazing as Spock.

As for Into Darkness, I purposely avoided all reviews and threads about it...much like buying an LP on the day of release, rather than downloading a leak, I still love seeing/hearing things in the (albeit now) old-fashioned way of actually waiting on shit to come out as the makers intended.

This was my considered review of Into Darkness: The new Star Trek is well explosiony, with lots of punchy-fighty bits. Some words and talking and acting too. Fantastic out of ten.

Archived