includes prerecorded music and lasts more than three and one-half

hours is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of ten thousand

dollars ($10,000) or twice the actual or estimated gross receipts

for the event, whichever is greater.

(b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to a public event on private

property if the entity that conducts the public event has a business

license to operate a bar, club, theater, entertainment venue, or

other similar business, or to conduct sporting events, and conducting

the public event is consistent with the business license.

© For purposes of this section, "night" means that period

between sunset and sunrise.

SEC. 3. No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to

Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution because

the only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or school

district will be incurred because this act creates a new crime or

infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penalty

for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of the

Government Code, or changes the definition of a crime within the

meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution.

notice how this means any public event that includes music and takes place on private property is illegal. like, say, regular old parties that you throw with your friends and post as a facebook event to make it "public." yup, illegal.

i don't live in california and i have heard that this legislation isn't super popular, but it still pisses me off that it's being proposed at all. the law will do nothing if passed (we can see how well legislation like this worked in the uk with the criminal justice bill). the real raves will be underground, like usual, and this will only give police an even better excuse to bust up private parties. for example, look at what i found on the wiki page for the criminal justice bill:

In 2009, Section 63 of the Act was used by police to shut down a birthday barbecue held on legal property for 15 people. Link.

REALLY EFFECTIVE GUYS :facepalm:

goddamn these people having fun!

it's just old people jealous they can't rave as hard as they used to. no one likes to be reminded of their own mortality

the last rave i've ever been to was the "circa 96 (97?)" one... everyone was dropping around me from doing some concoction of GHB and something else... it got broken up before 11pm and a riot ensued. we just went to my car and waited a few hours for everything to calm down... i've never been to a rave since.

it only says you'll need a license if you're making a public event at night?

It says you need a business license - I can't imagine many people would want to get a business license simply to have a party.

Also when you get a business license you become responsible for a whole host of issues - such as if drugs are consumed/sold on the property, ensuring that people aren't too intoxicated to drive home, that sort of thing.

Proposed by a San Francisco Democrat no less.

This legislation would affect us up here, since most of the raves around here are on the California side of the Oregon border and fit all of the criteria they've listed.

Funny - I have a n old friend who was (is?) into raving who was just elected to the California State Assembly.

It says you need a business license - I can't imagine many people would want to get a business license simply to have a party.

Also when you get a business license you become responsible for a whole host of issues - such as if drugs are consumed/sold on the property, ensuring that people aren't too intoxicated to drive home, that sort of thing.

raves/public parties usually charge an entrance fee correct?

and why is california of all states making proposals like this?

There was a shitty rave in LA last summer and some kid or kids died and now California is OMG THINK OF TEH CHILLUNS

finally! so sick of social events..

they should ban private use of subwoofers whilst they're at it. Maybe stop people from having stereos that let noise move beyond their property boundaries, by having db meters scattered around the perimeter which are wired to actively change the volume.

ahhh peace and quiet ...

edit - i'm not being ironic, i mean this.

Proposed by a San Francisco Democrat no less

does he own a bar, club or restaurant and seen his sales slipping cause of the recession, or is this all related to the music industry being annoyed that they're not getting licence fees from that music getting played. Or maybe both.

and why is california of all states making proposals like this?

There was a shitty rave in LA last summer and some kid or kids died and now California is OMG THINK OF TEH CHILLUNS

yeah, some 13 yr old girl went to a rave, took e, and died from overheating or something. obviously not the fault of the parents. LOL.

raves/public parties usually charge an entrance fee correct?

often yes, other times no - so what?

Archived