IGNORED

New Wagon Christ album 'Tomorrow' march 14, ninja tune.

mattlone

Just arrived, no poster but I've got a sticker despite getting both vinyl & CD versions. Shame I can't use that download code yet, Ninja Tune don't seem to have upped the files! Gonna have to do it old school and get a vinyl rip of the extra track. Now, time for a listen...

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just arrived, no poster but I've got a sticker despite getting both vinyl & CD versions. Shame I can't use that download code yet, Ninja Tune don't seem to have upped the files! Gonna have to do it old school and get a vinyl rip of the extra track. Now, time for a listen...

I could download the files from Ninja Tune more than a week before I got the vinyl! Got the vinyl + the stickers yesterday btw, great album!

you should be able to download... I ordered from Ninja, and was able to get the mp3 last week... still waiting on my wax though.

you should be able to download... I ordered from Ninja, and was able to get the mp3 last week... still waiting on my wax though.

Yeah, I didnt need a code just log in. I got my mp3s last week. Hopefully get the wax toomorrow (gettit)

I bought the vinyl (as well as CD) for the extra track, the vinyl has a mp3 download code and so I figured I could bypass doing a vinyl rip because I'd be able to download it instead. I logged in as per the instructions with the vinyl however it seems they haven't upped the files yet. There were various other releases on there just not this one. Anyway ripping, 1 track from a brand new record's no bother really, I didn't have to edit out any pops and clicks etc and the volume seems on par with the rest of the CD now I've added it into the same folder as the rest of my files.

Anyway, I wasn't mad on the album on my first listen through, I felt like I knew it all already (possibly no thanks to the mix that was posted prior to the albums release) and also some of the similarities to various albums by Luke, particularly 'Rhythm'. I'm really enjoying it now though, I just needed to step beyond the surface of the familiar samples and tried and tested formulas. 'Wake Up' seems to stand out so far, and despite Luke's dismissal of 'Manalyze This' I really dig it!

Really looking forward to seeing him at the gig toomorrow night, not just because he's playing and the line up's superb, but also cos he played such a tiny stage at BLOC that I couldn't get in!

This record will definitely soundtrack some of my highlights of the summer...

I think the use of vocal samples in his older releases were so much more inspired. Big Soup, Tally Ho! and Drum n Bass for Papa all have really well used vocal samples that are memorable, but with his more recent stuff they just sound thrown together and therefore are not quite as memorable. He also re uses them across releases too much. Just what I think....

Guest Calx Sherbet

i only noticed like....3 or so. damn, and i thought i knew this shit backwards and forwards

all i know is that new context can give them new life

Guest Portionate

I was a bit more pleased when it was obvious what music was meant for which handle. Rhythm, We Hear You, and now Toomorrow sound like they could've been released together without much disagreement. I feel they're all somewhat lacking too. Throw C,D,R and Benefist in there and really the only ones I relisten to regularly since the last Wagon Christ are Here it Comes and Amen Andrews vs Spac Hand Luke. All this sample rehash just seems really uninspired. If a lot of the music itself wasn't so nice, I'd have trouble differing Luke from some pretender just mixing/ripping his style.

As far as this new one goes, I'm finding myself agreeing more with the peoples on here who shutter at the vocal samples. Mr Mukatsuku is a prime example. Save for the vox, the track is probably one of the best. It reminds me a bit of Musipal. All in all the album's okay. My ears didn't start really perking consistently until right about Wake Up. From then, it's pretty convincing. But overall, it doesn't seem like the whole is saying much. Maybe it'll grow on me more like We Hear You did.

I kinda wish Luke would focus more on atmosphere again. I miss the Atari age.

I kinda wish Luke would focus more on atmosphere again.

While I think I have a slightly more favorable view of the album, I can't agree with this point enough. It almost seems to me that with the introduction of Reason in his setup he started focusing a lot more on the chords and melodies, due to the way Reason is set up. So the amelodicness of Big Soup was lost (a good thing) but the focus on the atmosphere of the samples gelling longform was also lost (a bad thing).

Guest bitroast

the album is like a nice big brother version of Rhythm. i like rhythm, but some of the tracks fall a bit flat and repetitive really quickly (not all the tracks tho!).

among the brilliant tracks on rhythm, and now toomorrow, i'm happy to say vibert's still got it : )

Archived