IGNORED

Trent Reznor Wins Golden Globe

J3FF3R00

Girl with the dragon tattoo for Fincher's next project makes me very sad. :sad: Will he ever do a scifi or horror again? and no Zodiac is not a horror movie

lol, who would ever consider zodiac a horror movie?

i think he might bring something to girl with the dragon tattoo. the books are badly written page turners but i'm interested to see what he does with it. he seems to be working relatively fast now, so i'm sure we'll see a variety of projects from him. with his unerring attention to detail, a real hard science fiction work would probably bankrupt a studio, but i'd love to see it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

curious if anyone who was a NIN fan pre-fragile likes the fragile. because that miserable 5 year wait full of anticipation and expectation took its toll, and ultimately the fragile seemed like a let-down. havent had a good relationship with that album ever since. some good tracks on it for sure though.

curious if anyone who was a NIN fan pre-fragile likes the fragile. because that miserable 5 year wait full of anticipation and expectation took its toll, and ultimately the fragile seemed like a let-down. havent had a good relationship with that album ever since. some good tracks on it for sure though.

i think about 25% of it is really solid. Songs like 'the great below' 'la mer' 'the day the world went away' 'into the void' i also admit 'we're in this together now' is a guilty pleasure for me even though a part of the chorus soudns identical to the Filter song 'hey man nice shot'

i haven't really found anything worthwhile from The Slip, With Teeth or Year Zero in comparison to these tracks. He hasn't written a pop song as catchy as any of those in quite a long time.

I can agree that the henley regatta scene is superfluous, but it does make some sort of sense though: it's an analogy for the whole film. Here the Harvard team loses to some nobodies from Holland. Just as the Winklevoss brothers lose to some nobody undergrad. Sure they win 60 million or whatever in the lawsuit, but that's fucking peanuts when you look at how much Goldman Sachs is about to throw into facebook. The race is the same - fantastically close, the closest Prince Albert has seen in however many years of going to the Henley regatta, but at the end of the day, they still lost.

The thing that threw it for me was the brightness of it compared to how dark the rest of the movie is. The cinematography for it was pretty neat, and I understand that they filmed it during the actual regatta.

Guest Greg Reason

Yeah I got into NIN on The Downward Spiral, was well obsessed with Broken and Further Down but never clicked with PHM.

To me, The Fragile wasn't a letdown when it arrived but at the time I didn't realize how incredible it was. That sunk in maybe a year or two after I bought it, and now I can't see how he'll ever make anything anywhere near as good. I did like Ghosts and moments on Year Zero but TDS and TF are high points that he's unlikely to ever approach again.

i thought the hall of the mountain king scene was weird as well, although i can see where it was a kind of misguided attempt to inject some energy into the film going into the third act.

I took it as an allegory for how the "old guard"--that is to say, old money, influence, politics and lawyers that those twins represented is useless in the face of "rogue" fortunes like Zuckerberg and Fanning. They almost win--but not quite, just like the race. 62 million payout was like $0.62 for the FB empire in a comparative sense so it's what they call foreshadowing in the business of storytelling.

I thought it was quite interesting that Shawn Fanning was portrayed as "Shawn Parker" because he could have driven the book and the movie into the ground with a libel/slander case. All of that paranoia/drugs/women/etc. stuff I never knew about and I think Fanning probably wouldn't have wanted us to know about it either. It's almost like Cookie Beast--a bluish, poorly spoken creature who loves cookies and allegedly looks like this :cerious:

sean parker is a real person. fanning is the guy most people know as founding napster, which is what's odd, but parker was the one involved with facebook.

i don't really agree that the henley regatta thing is foreshadowing, but that's an interesting take.

i think about 25% of it is really solid. Songs like 'the great below' 'la mer' 'the day the world went away' 'into the void' i also admit 'we're in this together now' is a guilty pleasure for me even though a part of the chorus soudns identical to the Filter song 'hey man nice shot"

yea I still dig the fragile and wasn't too let down when it came out. i think if you condensed it to 1 disc it would be my favorite album of his.

i think about 25% of it is really solid. Songs like 'the great below' 'la mer' 'the day the world went away' 'into the void' i also admit 'we're in this together now' is a guilty pleasure for me even though a part of the chorus soudns identical to the Filter song 'hey man nice shot"

yea I still dig the fragile and wasn't too let down when it came out. i think if you condensed it to 1 disc it would be my favorite album of his.

it's been a while since i listened to the Fragile to be honest. I think I agree with the sentiment that if it was condensed to a single disk it would be much stronger (i often feel that about double albums). however, i do recall be massively underwhelmed by it when it finally came out. I got into them when I bought Fixed on cassette after a friend got a copy of PHM from a pen-friend (remember them??) and when TDS came out a couple of years later it was spot on for all the angst of leaving home and such like.

i think the 5 years after that was a massive acceleration in the diversifying of my music tastes and the Fragile just seemed safe in comparison.

I got into NiN a little bit with Pretty Hate but a whole lot with Downward Spiral (and Further Down the Spiral) but have never been compelled to listen to the Fragile, which is a bit odd but at the time I remember thinking it would be just a massive letdown and couldn't be bothered with it. By the time it finally came out I was done with the NIN sound and was listening to pastures new. Apart from the odd couple of tracks like Burn and Survivalisim this soundtrack to The Social Network has made me listen to Reznors work again. Him screaming about the usual NIN'isms of destruction, despair and being close to insanity has to be left behind. I do find his lyrics very repititve in theme, proberbly one of the reasons why I ignored The Fragile.

I think he's been trying to reinvent himself for a long time (as he knows himself, he is guilty of repeating himslf) but struggled to find a direction, working with Fincher perhaps gives him a different way of approaching his music. TSN sounds like Mr Reznor with a new lease of life.

a friend of mine told me Fincher tried to distance himself a little bit from Social Network saying something along the lines of 'i don't think it's THAT good' like trying to downplay the hype its been getting. Can anyone confirm that?

yeah he even kind of does that on the dvd commentary for the film. but he's done that with most of his films, except for zodiac. there was a piece about him that pointed out how contrary he tends to be, to the point of it being pathological. so if the critics actually like something he does, that's what he's going to distance himself from. and then zodiac, which is was basically a failure at the box office, and sort of goes unnoticed by the critical community despite generally good reviews, that gets the most attention from him.

the biggest flaw with the social network is aaron sorkin. guy is the most overrated writer in the world. remove him from the equation and i think you eliminate a lot of the movie's problems.

I can agree that the henley regatta scene is superfluous, but it does make some sort of sense though: it's an analogy for the whole film. Here the Harvard team loses to some nobodies from Holland. Just as the Winklevoss brothers lose to some nobody undergrad. Sure they win 60 million or whatever in the lawsuit, but that's fucking peanuts when you look at how much Goldman Sachs is about to throw into facebook. The race is the same - fantastically close, the closest Prince Albert has seen in however many years of going to the Henley regatta, but at the end of the day, they still lost.

The thing that threw it for me was the brightness of it compared to how dark the rest of the movie is. The cinematography for it was pretty neat, and I understand that they filmed it during the actual regatta.

Seems we had out own race didn't we sir. Paint me Winklevoss, I lost by 6 minutes :spiteful:

In the real world, the 'nobodies' from Holland were the crew that went to the Olympics in Athens a month later and won a silver medal (with a couple of rowers with multiple medals from previous Olympics). I can't remember whether or not the Dutch crew was explicitly mentioned as being a crew of nobodies, but I can see where you're coming from. Maybe this adds some depth to the analogy: in the Winklevoss' minds they lost to nobodies, while actually.... etc.

edit: they didn't won just 60 mls. a huge chunk of it was in stock. so the 60 mls is nowadays potentially well over 100 mls. (not taking the interest rate into account)

@oscilik: have you heard the soundtrack in 96khz wav? it adds a LOT of depth and sounds completely different!!!! =D

yeah he even kind of does that on the dvd commentary for the film. but he's done that with most of his films, except for zodiac. there was a piece about him that pointed out how contrary he tends to be, to the point of it being pathological. so if the critics actually like something he does, that's what he's going to distance himself from. and then zodiac, which is was basically a failure at the box office, and sort of goes unnoticed by the critical community despite generally good reviews, that gets the most attention from him.

the biggest flaw with the social network is aaron sorkin. guy is the most overrated writer in the world. remove him from the equation and i think you eliminate a lot of the movie's problems.

interesting. Well all i know is that Zodiac is very awesome. I just watched it again after falling asleep to it in the theatre the first time, and my opinion on it is a 180. I'd be very surprised if a movie with Michael Cerrogate (aka jesse eisenberg, the man with the most jewish name in hollywood) could be better. Every movie with him is made worse because of him (that ive seen so far)

i was wondering the same thing until i watched it under a different state of mind. It was probably my least favorite Fincher movie besides Button, now it's my 3rd fave right behind Alien 3 and the Game.

I appreciate it for being one of the most naturalistic and non 'hollywood' serial killer/killer thriller movies. To call it a thriller is undercutting it though because it doesn't really have any resolution.

Besides Vertigo & the Game i also havent seen a film like Zodiac that makes the San Francisco bay area look so beautiful and iconic.

Archived