IGNORED

Are Scottish people offended. . . .

Guest El_Chemso

Guest El_Chemso

I like to watch the Dave show "Trawler Men" and its based on Scottish Trawler men based out of Peterhead in Scotland, a few of the crews members who they follow have strong Scottish accents so when the producing team feel its pretty strong they subtitle in what they are saying. I was also watching the nurture room last night on More4 and that followed a Scottish school, and again they subtitled the Scottish people. And again today one of the top BBC watched items was an undercover item about Scottish black market sales of tobacco that ended in a alteration with one guy trying to beat up the camera crew and woman present with what looked like a flag pole, he was threatening them and again this was subtitled.

I'm not Scottish, don't know any Scots with strong accents but don't have any problem understanding what any of these people are saying with out the subtitles, so do Scottish people feel hard done by, offended or insulted by the fact that the BBC and others feel the need to subtitle them when they are talking English like some cheap Mexican workers?? Personally I would, and feel there is probably a good case for implied slander in there somewhere.

Any scots care to weight in?

(Americans, you could compare Scots perhaps to people with a strong Texan accent, are they subtitled on your TV?)

Mid-Edit:

I just did a search for a screen cap of it and found a whole new article about it http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/5244738.stm, but better than that check out this MP's face!

_41964914_stevenson_bbc203.jpg

"My constituents voted me in because I'm the least ugly in the county"

some Scottish accents are fucking impossible to understand.

just like some English ones are.

if someone is talking with an accent that the vast majority of viewers can't understand, then they should be subtitled.

I haven't really run into any Scots with an accent I can't understand. I usually understand them better than the Irish. Of course, I've never been to Europe...

(Americans, you could compare Scots perhaps to people with a strong Texan accent, are they subtitled on your TV?)

Texan is probably the easiest of the southern accents. Anyone from the Appalachian mountains sounds like Pa from the hillbilly bears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ngfIOTgN0M

"mrmrmrmhrhmrhrhmrhmhmhrhmrcatfishmrhrhmrhmhrmhrhrmrhmhrmhri'm gonna eat my hat."

My great grandfather used to sound just like that, actually.

Guest ruiagnelo

this exact same situation happens with people from Azores and Madeira, two Portuguese islands with distinct dialects, sometimes completely unperceptible.

subtitles are used to make people understandable, not offend or humiliate them, in my opinion.

The range of comprehensibility of Scottish accents is fairly astounding. I know a dude who thought Karen Gillan was American and trying to fake some generic Brit accent every fourth word. Personally, was too busy fapping to noti--I mean she's a wonderful actress. What was this thread about again?

'My Name Is Joe' (I think it was) by Ken Loach was subtitled, which I thought was weird when I first started watching it. But I realised that by not reading the subtitles I couldn't figure out the fuck was going on after a while (I love Scottish people, that's not meant to be offensive btw). Not that I can criticise, I'm of scouse descent and a lot of people struggle with that accent (or just plain hate it) sometimes. Since I moved to Norwich I have right trouble understanding some of the Norfolk accents, but I think that's mutual though. Hardest English dialect I've come across is probably Mackem, sometimes that just sounds like people talking backwards with the odd 'fuck' and 'cunt' thrown in.

doesn't bother me at all. in fact the trawlermen are from peterhead north of aberdeen and most scots need subtitles to understand them too. alot of scots programmes don't even make it to national tv cos it's thought they wouldn't be understood anywhere else. i love programs like trawlermen - real men working the most dangerous job.

i see subtitles on similar american programmes shown here like riggers, axe men or the deadliest catch.

and talking of 'my name is joe', i'm looking forward to seeing peter mullans 'neds'.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I often find substitles on people speaking english to be offensive to me, makes me feel like they think I'm an idiot. I saw something about trains in north India the other day and the main guy spoke beautiful english with perfect grammar and a nice accent but he got subtitles the whole way through.

Scots are generally okay although it can take a minute for me to crack it. It's near impossible when a filthy jock just barks a short sentence at you out of the blue; "Wha's yer length pal?" being one of the most memorable ones I've experienced - I had to get him to repeat it about 4 times to be sure it was even english and then once more while I struggled to decide what to say to a pished squaddie asking me how long my penis is.

I can't say that I am offended. I imagine that to a non-Scot, a thick Glaswegian or Fife dialect with all the trimmings is pretty hard to get a grasp of at first. As for Doric, that's anyone's as to what they're saying.

I often find substitles on people speaking english to be offensive to me, makes me feel like they think I'm an idiot. I saw something about trains in north India the other day and the main guy spoke beautiful english with perfect grammar and a nice accent but he got subtitles the whole way through.

yeah that is fucking humiliating if you ask me, they do that on German tv with some German accents sometimes, although they really aren't that hard to understand. Some are, like people from Switzerland, but they usually don't get subtitled. Instead they subtitle some people who immigrated 20+ years ago and sound like native speakers...

About the Scottish accent - I'm a non-native English speaker but I haven't had a problem with it. I quite like it actually. When I first heard it, I couldn't believe it was for real. Some Scots sound more like they're from Eastern Europe or something. But still cool. Irish however is more difficult and less cool sounding.

About the Scottish accent - I'm a non-native English speaker but I haven't had a problem with it. I quite like it actually. When I first heard it, I couldn't believe it was for real. Some Scots sound more like they're from Eastern Europe or something. But still cool. Irish however is more difficult and less cool sounding.

this i do find offensive.

Guest sickboy

they subtitle welsh people especially from the north too

i dont find it offensive if people don't know how to listen to someone speaking properly

I don't find it offensive, just hilarious. You know your nation is brilliant/fucked when half of them on TV genuinely need subtitles for most people to understand

:D:D

Archived