IGNORED

£1 punt: Steinvord is Richard D. James

Guest chunky

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's figured out reverb sweeps pretty well,

what are reverb sweeps?

mid-side and wet/dry automation on reverb sort of sounds, little swells and sweeps of the levels. Not really a technical term, I just made up a word it's not really important.

Guest Calx Sherbet

lol, i didn't know of steinvord until a couple weeks ago. when was he first brought to the aphex board's attention?

lol, i didn't know of steinvord until a couple weeks ago. when was he first brought to the aphex board's attention?

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/34099-tracks

edit: the poster of that also posted this

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/39519-q-chastic/

so my guess is someone who's been trying their hand at afx fakes for a while now, or they have no relation to the person who actually made the Steinvord tracks.

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/34099-tracks edit: the poster of that also posted this http://forum.watmm.com/topic/39519-q-chastic/ so my guess is someone who's been trying their hand at afx fakes for a while now, or they have no relation to the person who actually made the Steinvord tracks.
Probably not the same person.

I've seen threads on Steinvord that go back to march 2008 (when the site was created). I think it was on idmforums.com, or a similar one. A forum regular said he found that myspace looking for IDM genre music, and was amazed at the quality of the tracks. The thread brought a lot of people's attention, had like 14 pages. I would say he got pretty known within the scene from there. I even remember some threads being made by 1-post accounts impersonating themselves as Steinvord. Even some fakes got posted (one even got to last.fm). Not surprisingly, these tracks sucked compared to the real Steinvord ones.

I think even Richard Devine made a twett about it, which did nothing but fuel even more speculation.

It's funny how the general intial reaction to Steinvord was mostly lols or some kind of light-hearted disgust and making fun, now it seems like the general opinion is slightly more serious than before especially after being picked up by rephlex. Still interested to see what he does with this opportunity. I honestly can't really say because the steinvord I have heard(8 tracks or so?) is generally all over the place, some tracks are very technically impressive in so many ways(like the maelstrom track) and some others sound very naive with melody from mars era leads and shitty melodies(see untitled 97). He's figured out reverb sweeps pretty well, as well as mixing and ambient background sounds(although the ambient stuff seems somewhat shallow and overused it's still better than many signed breakcore artists attempts). Untitled 11 is pretty amazing and shows the kind of groove this guy has, fuck that bassline is amazing.

This. That untitled 11 track has an amazing vibe on it after I got my head around it, and it doesn't sound like AFX or Squarepusher to me.

Ultimately I don't really care who did this, all I know is it's quality stuff, and it's kinda sad that we've been stuck with shitty mp3 rips for years now.

Guest hahathhat

maybe steinvord originally wasn't aphex, but now that the rephlex cube has assimilated him, we all think it is. he is effectively part of richard now. and services him

• 2 weeks later...

maybe steinvord originally wasn't aphex, but now that the rephlex cube has assimilated him, we all think it is. he is effectively part of richard now. and services him

much more elquently(sp?) put than my paragraph. this.

No, it´s not him. Clearly not. I bet 1$, I mean Euro, or pound, whatever. I´ll win anyway.

I will take this bet! I think it is. But I don't want to bet a dollar, let's bet a candy bar of your choice from your country of origin.

So, if I lose, I will send you the best American candy bar.

EDIT: Which is obviously Caramello

eeuuuw

Seems whoever people online think is Aphex Twin's myspace gets signed to Rephlex.

that's what i used to think and still do. you copy the boss, you get the job. as simple as that

Perhaps that's what i'd do if i had a label. I like a certain style, and want to hear more of it. The old master's used to delegate projects. Everyone wins.

:sorcerer:

Or wot the hat said, finally caught up to this end of the thread.

I can't really remember what the focus of this thread sounds like, given that i only heard it when it was originally talked about a couple of years back, so i'm not making any specific comment about that artist.

It did need to be polished though, i seem to remember the variability. But if it was a kid with accelerating towards master skills, and he's now getting released. Surely what's coming will be nice then.

Last thing i got from rephlex was monolith, and so far it's stayed that way.

Archived