IGNORED

£1 punt: Steinvord is Richard D. James

Guest chunky

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope this Steinvord release is closer stylistically to Untitled 97 & Untitled 9 than Maelstrom, ontrack v2 and all that other breaky crap. I like some fast breakbeats now and then for sure, but this stuff sounds like a cheap knockoff of Vsnares, Mangle 11, and Go Plastic.

Not at all. The fast tracks on Steinvord actually flow flawlessly, and the programming is really clever, far from the VSnares (and the rest of "idm/breakbeat" acts) approach which consist basically in throwing a lot of un-fitting sounds together on a tracker and pressing play. Anyone who actually works with audio-editing tools, has tried to create something similar and isn't half deaf, will be able to appreciate it. This has been the best amen break usage since Tom himself. No one is able to do it as good as them, and I miss the crazy, quality, jungle-ish stuff. Too much loopy, low bpm acts nowadays, so I hope it's the opposite.

Anyone who actually works with audio-editing tools, has tried to create something similar and isn't half deaf, will be able to appreciate it.

Ouch. Different taste =/= deaf and never touched a breakbeat. I have a lot more experience than you think in that area. I just actually want the music to have soul, instead of sounding rigid and well super produced.

I have no objection to fast beats, just with Steinvord, I find that when he has the beats, I don't get everything else I want from a song as well.

This has been the best amen break usage since Tom himself.

There you go. I can't stand Tom, and besides, saying that he's better with the Amen than anyone else is fucking preposterous. I could name so many people who have technical slicing down better than Tom does, and technical is all he has going for him.

Not at all. The fast tracks on Steinvord actually flow flawlessly, and the programming is really clever, far from the VSnares (and the rest of "idm/breakbeat" acts) approach which consist basically in throwing a lot of un-fitting sounds together on a tracker and pressing play. Anyone who actually works with audio-editing tools, has tried to create something similar and isn't half deaf, will be able to appreciate it. This has been the best amen break usage since Tom himself. No one is able to do it as good as them, and I miss the crazy, quality, jungle-ish stuff. Too much loopy, low bpm acts nowadays, so I hope it's the opposite.

this

Squarepusher has more than just the technical side, there aren't any tracks out there like Boneville Occident, Psultan Squarepusher Mix, Go! Spastic... Steinvord sounds very rookie, for amateur music it isn't bad but his tracks don't have much going on, usually breaks+background noise+ silent breakdowns, one tracks sounds like AFX, the other like VS, the other like Go Plastic, curious to see what Rephlex will put out.

his tracks don't have much going on, usually breaks+background noise+ silent breakdowns, one tracks sounds like AFX, the other like VS, the other like Go Plastic

This is exactly what I was trying to say about it.

And sorry if I offended anyone with my Squarepusher comments... I just don't like his style. His melodies just don't come off as sincere to me, and I am usually bored by his programming. He's a good bassist, and he's had a lot of praise, and I think he lets all it go to his head, and you can hear it in his music.

Guest hahathhat

His melodies just don't come off as sincere to me, and I am usually bored by his programming.

this. very technical, very flawless, and very boring.

nb: i only mean ultravisitor here, not squarepusher in general.

loved port rhombus back in the day. I think it might be his best

Port Rhombus is definitely his best. He way hit his peak in the late '90s.

£100 punt: untitled 97 is by richard d james

£50 punt: untitled 9 is by richard d james

how can they not be??

Most other people: trying to make music. richard d james: makes music.

I can't get enough of untitled 97 recently, but actually, I will be really shocked if solid evidence that it is rdj does show up. I do think that it's possible that these two tracks, and possibly even iyff acid are by someone different from the squarepusher-esque tracks, but I feel like it's a talented (sometimes soulful) amateur musician imitating afx/tuss styles, not the man himself. untitled 97 actually sounds more like Goon than AFX to me until it goes into the analord/tuss detuned part. Not saying that it's him though by any means...

and no, I don't think it is a forum regular. Most everyone in braindance, etc, is familiar with WATMM, so having a reference to "read the rules" proves nothing (and it doesn't even have to be related to WATMM at all, the phrase is common enough.) I've spent a good deal of time going through YLC, and I don't get the kind of feel that I get from Steinvord from anyone else here who's music I've heard.

*shrug*

not that it really matters who it is anyway.

Guest hahathhat

£100 punt: untitled 97 is by richard d james

£50 punt: untitled 9 is by richard d james

how can they not be??

Most other people: trying to make music. richard d james: makes music.

maybe he does, but he doesn't release it. how about some of my music while he's off polishing his tank ??

http://soundcloud.com/nevenen/the-trunk

http://soundcloud.com/nevenen/ariel

Guest cult fiction

I've spent a good deal of time going through YLC, and I don't get the kind of feel that I get from Steinvord from anyone else here who's music I've heard.

There are both signed and unsigned folks on WATMM with high-quality music who don't post on YLC...

I've spent a good deal of time going through YLC, and I don't get the kind of feel that I get from Steinvord from anyone else here who's music I've heard.

There are both signed and unsigned folks on WATMM with high-quality music who don't post on YLC...

Let me rephrase that, I've spent a good deal of time going through YLC and listening to published music by WATMM regulars. I know there are a few people here who don't have their music at all linked to their internet persona, but I think the chances of one of them being Steinvord are very slim, especially with no one having the slightest clue about it. I'm sticking by what I said.

It's funny how the general intial reaction to Steinvord was mostly lols or some kind of light-hearted disgust and making fun, now it seems like the general opinion is slightly more serious than before especially after being picked up by rephlex. Still interested to see what he does with this opportunity. I honestly can't really say because the steinvord I have heard(8 tracks or so?) is generally all over the place, some tracks are very technically impressive in so many ways(like the maelstrom track) and some others sound very naive with melody from mars era leads and shitty melodies(see untitled 97). He's figured out reverb sweeps pretty well, as well as mixing and ambient background sounds(although the ambient stuff seems somewhat shallow and overused it's still better than many signed breakcore artists attempts). Untitled 11 is pretty amazing and shows the kind of groove this guy has, fuck that bassline is amazing.

Guest hahathhat

my reaction is thus: tracks on myspace and shit were good. if a release shows up, great. who cares about rephlex

Archived