IGNORED

Recollections your adolescence

Brandi_B

haha, i've never done any more than two at once. i've always been a bit cautious. even though i think the whole cartoon characters chasing me down the street thing could be kinda interesting.

actually my acid dealer friend frequently (weekly?) takes up to 7 tabs at once and never hesitates to tell me about his experiences turning into a transformer or god or whatever. it's kinda weird though, seeing his personality deteriorate into some kind of egotistical psychonaut obsessed with tripping and prostitutes. dunno if it's the acid or the power he gets from being a dealer and raking in stupid amounts of cash from the 100% markup he adds to his product.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

basically, what it comes down to is that i just don't want to go down that path again simply because i just waste my free time. that said though, some of my most creative moments have been during an acid comedown, deprived of sleep and still feeling mildly tripped out. though i'm trying to replicate that creativity while sober. or something

This "could" be alleviated by going out into the world, and especially nature, especially with someone else, even if it isn't a "close friend". Australia is beautiful from what I've always heard and seen in videos, I'm sure there's tons of nature related experiences calling to you. Going out into the world or "reality" on acid can seem and be quite terrifying, but usually once you're there, it's so fantastic ll that melts away, and on top of that, acid is so much more (at least on >5 hits) noticeable than say alcohol or extacy to other people, they wouldn't know you were tripping unless you said "hi I'm tripping" and even then they'd just be like "okay :|", and that's all.

oh and re: friends, i don't really have any close friends here. my girlfriend is probably my best friend but chances are she'll leave me soon anyway

Don't think negative though, cuz if you do that, you may make that reality true. Also look at meetup.com or craigslist (or AUS equiv.) for "groups" or get togethers of people that have the same interests as you. This has really helped me in my 20's, meet other people that weren't "oh hey that person I was drunk at a bar with" people.

yeah i was thinking of going on okcupid just to meet like minded friends but then i got caught up in it, looking at pretty girls in my area, and then i found one of my friends on there and it all got a bit weird so i disabled my account

my problem is that i just tend to feel satisfied hanging out with my girlfriend's friends (this time around they are all really great people who i'd probably hang out with regardless) but at the same time i feel like a bit of an outsider in their 'group'

anyway bit of a tangent, i could rant for hours, so bored at work fuck

^ Gf's friends count as friends imo.

Anywayz. Back on topic.

Additional thought for discussion:

I was thinking about weird punishments via parents.

Anyone go thru any traumatic or just generally weird punishments during adolesnce?

My parents, I suppose, couldn't find anything else. So they uncovered my Achilles tendon and threatened to cut my hair any time I seriously misbehaved (and they actually did a few times, in a very ugly fashion). I think it's left me with this really odd complex that I won't go into here. But nonetheless, it was insanely traumatic to experience, despite my behavior (and I really wasn't *that* bad).

i'm a late bloomer

my highschool years mostly consisted of not giving a fuck about anything other than music, and wondering why no girls would pay me any attention when all of my 'friends' had girlfriends.

i never really touched alcohol or drugs until i was 17, when i got drunk and stoned with od++ and vik, lol.

basically i spent my teenage years bored and lonely, passing time and making myself happy by writing and listening to idm.

In that exact same boat. Still had good times with friends. Mainly played games, still do...

rock

rebellion

raves

and drugs

I was listening to The Chemical Brothers, Aphex and all that junk back when I was 14. I didn't go to parties because I hated all the people from my class and they thought I was a weird jerk.

Then when I was 16 I started getting more and more interested in talking to girls. Having real conversations with them. I liked it because you could talk to them about all sorts of weird junk. I still didn't go to parties though because I didn't really drink and I didn't do drugs and I thought it was awkward just sitting at a table along side 20 other people who were pretending to have fun and pretending to be more drunk than they actually were.

^ Gf's friends count as friends imo.

until you have to give them back!

:cerious:

actually a few of my really good friends in perth were made through my first girlfriend, i guess it depends on the awkwardness of the breakup really

still trying to work it out i think. i was really angsty, always ready to quit school and start working and living on my own. my parents took good care of us but i just knew from an early age what i wanted to do. i was sick of fighting with my parents over stuff i didn't care about (school mostly). i got really drunk once when i was 13 and my parents never trusted me after that, though i never was inebriated again until i was out of the house. i was hella nerdy in middle school and was a target for assholes. lots of computer games. nine inch nails. a few makeouts. started learning how to make music/record in high school. fell in love. broke my heart. figured out how to graduate early, started working. went off to a nearby university, tried to start over. then i dropped out and really began the story of my life as i wanted to.

overall i wouldn't go back if you paid me. i'm still trying to work out stuff with my parents from back then. i was their firstborn and i think it's hard to know what to do with a rebellious kid, so i try not to blame them, but sometimes it flares up and i just hate them for no reason.

so,

1) Going thru craziness early, good or bad? (best to just get out the way?)

neither really, you'll probably have to deal with it at some point anyway, it can fuck you up just as badly at either time if you're not prepared.

2) 13 vs 17: My thoughts are 17 you are more likely to listen to advice and step back and evaluate, whereas 13 you're like FUUUUU I AM MASTER OF WORLD!

also idk here. at 13 i was more likely to be like PARENTS R MASTER OF WORLD, and at 17 i was more like 'ok you guys seem smart but actually you're dumb'

3) You are more irrational at 13, but able to be much more reckless at 17

i think i was more rational at 17.

4) Having that excessive conservative/sheltered "home" makes you even more likely to act out and even worse so than normal when doing so.

yeah man, i think kids typically have to rebel somehow or another. the more sheltered you are, the more obvious it is to rebel by doing the craziest shit possible.

Guest Enter a new display name

I was a (bigger) dork who registered to watmm for the subforums and I was way too much into IDM, which ruined my social life back then.

Guest hahathhat

i learned a lot about c++ from 13-17. my parents are socially liberal and open-minded, but at the same time there was that hyper-planned lifestyle forced on kids these days. i couldn't just go down the street and play with eric or something -- my mom had to phone his mom, and we had to know who driving me home and when etc. so i just stayed home. it didn't matter much, as i hated most people at school and they hated me. ~16 i switched to a school with people i got along with (it was great, actually), but this school was downtown, an hour's train ride away. _no one_ was within walking distance, so there was still little opportunity to get in trouble. consequently, my rebelling during that period consisted of staying up until 3am reading, getting in trouble with my computer, or blowing things up in the basement. even that was mildly curtailed, as my grandma set the house on fire many times and my dad is consequently edgy about fire.

i made some real messes once i got out of my parents' clutches. i'd never had the opportunity to fuck up that hard and i took full advantage of it. part of it was just a natural reaction to having that shit suppressed my whole life, but mostly, i just wasn't used to thinking about the long-term consequences of my actions (as my parents had done that for me).

at least they cared. i would have been far worse off if they simply hadn't given a shit!

13 years old, i had aspirations on becoming a baseball player. played highscool baseball, listenend to lots of hip hop and new wave. most my friends consisted of surfers and skaters although i didn't do it myself. Whenever a someone came around that I hung with that did drugs or drank, my reaction was to shun that person away (my dad was an alcoholic and did drugs when i was younger so I never wanted to be part of that growing up). 15 was the only time i ever tried weed, first time i had sex was 17, didn't drink til I was about 19. and did acid once around 20. of all those things i guess the sex is what i got hooked to cuz I didn't become hooked on any drugs or alcohol. So basically I fiend for sex once I got a taste!

So basically, I was late but didn't stick around with drugs... only the sex!

when i was 13 me and about 4 mates who were also 13 were all staying over my friend chris's house in warboys (little town in cambridgeshire). his parents were away and one night we all got horribly drunk and that stoned you get when you only started smoking weed a month or so ago. at about 11pm we stole his dad's transit van with the idea of driving to cambridge. we very nearly crashed pretty much immediately but luckily chris got the hang of the driving thing (he claimed he could drive perfectly before we set off) and we got underway. it's about 25 miles to cambridge from warboys, so it took us quite a while to career down there....we drove right through the centre of cambridge - four 13 year old boys all pissed up, weaving all over the road, leaning out of the windows and shouting obscenities, jumping around in the back of the van and fighting each other etc. unbelievably we didn't get pulled over and eventually got bored so decided to head back. about 10 miles from home we ran out of fuel, luckily near a car park in the town of huntingdon. we only had about 36p between us and no petrol can so we locked up the van and went out in huntingdon attempting to rob A: a petrol can, B: a length of hose, and eventually C: some petrol. after wandering around for what seemed like hours, we ended up on the notorious oxmoor estate (really rough area of huntingdon) and basically searched people's gardens and sheds for what we needed... we ended up getting a bucket and a length of hose and set about siphoning off a bucket full of fuel from a nearby austin allegro. unfortunately we shit ourselves halfway through because we heard a noise and thought it might be the hardest man in oxmoor come to beat us up, so we legged it leaving the bucket and hose attached to the allegro.... after burglarising another shed and making off with a ridiculously long hosepipe, and happily this time a petrol can (minus the spout) we decided to head back to the van. it was only when we got back to the van that we realised we were parked next to a car (which presumably had fuel in it). it was a volvo estate i think.... anyway, we siphoned off a small amount of petrol, split a lot on the ground and managed to get an even smaller quantity into the van, got her started and headed off again...it must have been about 3am by this time, but we didn't go home yet...we stopped off at the old air field just outside warboys (abandoned WW2 airfield) and ended up pretending we were james bond or something by just letting the van coast in 1st gear (at about 10mph) and then proceeding to jump from the van to the ground (including the driver), out of the wide open side doors and back again, fight over the steering wheel to wrest control, climb on the roof and "surf" etc...absolutely crazy. finally we did decide to go home as it was getting light, so all jumped in and drove the short distance back to chris's house. got back totally unscathed, van was largely alright, no arrests, no mishaps whatsoever. unbelievable really...no way i could get away with that now.

Listen to pock/rock till I was 16 or so. IDM and electronic came in about 17 or so. Didnt drink till I was 18. Just kinda hung out with my mates (who may or may not have been drinking, it didnt matter).

Hit 18, got the taste for drink and really liked it. Im pretty straight edge when I need to be but it doesnt call for it that often.

I agree with Margret though, I dont have much memory of young adolescent years or anything before.

Guest Gravity

mostly spent my teen years drunk stoned and depressed, don't really dwell on them much anymore.

Aye, I had a bit of a stressful time as well. Shit sucks but you move on, eh?

Lots of anxiety.

spent my adolescent years oh you know,....wait......shit.......fuck......I still am in my adolescent years......WTHAT THF EUFCK??? I PSNE TMY ADOLESCENT YERS ON WATMM!?!?!?!?? [AIANFIEANFPAEfipaejIJPAI90R90R

hanging out in the treehouse learning to be cool, playing cards, smoking cigarettes, making fun of the fat kid. it was the best summer holidays ever until we hear a rumour of a dead body a few miles up the railway tracks and decide to go on an adventure to find it. we bond tightly as we go through various events such as getting chased by a big dog, nearly being run over by a train and having leeches on our pubeless scrotums. eventually we find the dead body but some older guys come and spoil our fun so i pull a gun on them and scare the shit out of them. then i go on star trek next generation or some shit and waste my potential forever.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I think around 13 was when I first dabbled in being an unruly teenager, after having fully settled in to secondary school I was finding it easy and started acting up. I was always doing well in school then so I think I would be the last one to get in any real trouble. I never did anything bad though really, I wasn't cool enough to be drinking or smoking and I never bunked off school. Just talking back or basically what I suppose was bullying. We all used to make crude sex jokes and I for one didn't know what I was talking about. I also remember shouting at my parents about petty things around that age. I believe I also started obsessively buying drum n bass tape packs and listening to the prodigy.

17 was good for me, I used to adore drinking when it wasn't allowed, part of the thrill of being chucked out of pubs added to it and I couldn't drink so I got hammered for a tenner. I was actively talking to girls and trying to learn how to flirt and that was fun and exciting at the time, and social scene was good at school generally. I went to a few free parties and didn't really know what was going on. Smoking weed was insanely fun then when I was new to it, as BCM said. I can't believe I could just sit in a room with my friends all night smoking for hours and laughing, I couldn't do it now. I learned to drive, I started making shit music, I started reading proper novels and watching intelligent films and feeling really grown up. Most of my friends now were mates from when I was 17.

As far as going through craziness, I didn't really do it my teens. I smoked weed from 16 but never too much as I could feel it zapping my focus and I really wanted to do well and go to university and stuff. I think what kept me on the level was that when I started secondary school it was easy and I was top of the class without trying; towards the end I was having to work really hard to cling on to that and I didn't like the feeling of reaching my limit. I think my parents were quite 'sheltering' but it worked out okay for me.

My crazy period was as soon as I graduated, it felt like I'd just run off the edge of a cliff and I just went into dead end work and cultivated a heavy drinking habit and a spell of self hate, which surprised me. That was 3 years ago and I still drink more than I'd like but like Brandi B said it is sort of a balance; I can't just work and never act stupid but I can't just act stupid and never do any real work. I still need to find the balance that really works.

This has been an enlightening way to waste the last half hour of my work day.

Archived