IGNORED

CBale

halisray

To be honest ever since his rant he has struck me as a colossal asshole. He's also not that good of an actor. He can be quite good - Empire of the Sun, American Psycho - but he can also come up short (Rescue Dawn, Prestige, Machinist) or be even laughable (Batman flicks, Terminator 3). Seems to take himself way too seriously. That said, he seems to be good in the Fighter, which I'm watching right now. Not earth shattering, but good, and better than in the Machinist.

on this rant though, hes completely in the right. its insanely hard to get into that kind of physical shape.

regardless of whether you consider him a good actor, theres no denying the dedication required to do that.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

on this rant though, hes completely in the right. its insanely hard to get into that kind of physical shape.

regardless of whether you consider him a good actor, there's no denying the dedication required to do that.

QFT

Guest AcrossCanyons

To be honest ever since his rant he has struck me as a colossal asshole. He's also not that good of an actor. He can be quite good - Empire of the Sun, American Psycho - but he can also come up short (Rescue Dawn, Prestige, Machinist) or be even laughable (Batman flicks, Terminator 3). Seems to take himself way too seriously. That said, he seems to be good in the Fighter, which I'm watching right now. Not earth shattering, but good, and better than in the Machinist.

I thought he was pretty great in the Machinist. :shrug:

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

No some people are just insecure & get blinded by intimidation from asshole jerk stores.

Just because someone is a jerk store it does not disregard their work.

The Machinist wasn't a great movie by any means, but Bale was certainly admirable in it, innit.

He's obviously a douche IRL and his best acting was when he was 13, and his Batman voice makes me want to barf, and he can only play Bruce Wayne well because Bruce Wayne is a prick, but, yeah.

I am a CBale fan outside of the Dark Night, and Terminator 4.

but I DID like the dark night. HATED T4. HATED. I shut it off as soon as he opened his mouth for the 1st time and it was all "batman gruff". i loled all the way to the stop button.

evertyhing terminator after the 2nd movie was complete garbage and shows u what a cock sucker james cameron is for letting such a great franchise go to shit

im sure he just let the 2 movies and the tv series happen because he needed the money for avatar

bastard

also christian bale is a good actor, but ya stay out of terminators please everyone

I am a CBale fan outside of the Dark Night, and Terminator 4.

but I DID like the dark night. HATED T4. HATED. I shut it off as soon as he opened his mouth for the 1st time and it was all "batman gruff". i loled all the way to the stop button.

let me add, that while I didn't care for him much in DK (at all), in Batman Begins, he was much better. More humble. Well, slightly.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

the critic was in the magazine total film i think. i just read february issue

although this is not much of a story really

i don't see the big deal. he's just saying that he takes his job seriously, and part of his job is to lose weight for roles that require it. i don't think there's anything wrong with that. if he played a fat crackhead he'd get made fun of, so obviously he's gonna lose weight. i just see that as dedication.

to me it comes off as over compensating for not being really that great of an actor, but i think it's pretty awesome. I'm not going to judge him for losing weight to play a role better, i just think that first you should worry about becoming a better actor and then focus on your physical appearance.

to me it comes off as over compensating for not being really that great of an actor, but i think it's pretty awesome. I'm not going to judge him for losing weight to play a role better, i just think that first you should worry about becoming a better actor and then focus on your physical appearance.

This is what he's pissed about though. He played the role very well, period. But cynical people are going to accuse him of being a try-hard for losing weight to add more realism to an already good show of acting.

I haven't seen "the Fighter" so i can't comment on that (although is Wahlberg seriously going to out-act Bale?) but I think Bale is one of the better actors around - sure he's kind of cheesy in the Batman flicks and T4 - but fuck it, those are cheesy films. He was great in "The Prestige", "American Psycho" and "Empire of the Sun", and was certainly the best thing about "the Machinist".

To accuse him of being a tryhard just cause he lost weight for a couple of roles is pretty ridiculous. It's like saying Al Pacino is a try hard for being born to Italian parents and then playing an Italian mobster.

I haven't seen "the Fighter" so i can't comment on that (although is Wahlberg seriously going to out-act Bale?) but I think Bale is one of the better actors around - sure he's kind of cheesy in the Batman flicks and T4 - but fuck it, those are cheesy films. He was great in "The Prestige", "American Psycho" and "Empire of the Sun", and was certainly the best thing about "the Machinist".

To accuse him of being a tryhard just cause he lost weight for a couple of roles is pretty ridiculous. It's like saying Al Pacino is a try hard for being born to Italian parents and then playing an Italian mobster.

qft

I just finished the Fighter, I have to agree that he was pretty damn good the whole way through (though did I detect his accent wobbling a few times?)

I agree with what you said more or less Chen, the prob is when he's bad he's kind of distractingly bad. And I still think he takes himself too seriously. But at least he's vastly preferable to smug and sweaty-faced Dicaprio

This is what he's pissed about though. He played the role very well, period. But cynical people are going to accuse him of being a try-hard for losing weight to add more realism to an already good show of acting.

exactly.

isn't the physicality of acting and reflecting your character just as inherently integral to portraying a character as the words?

i mean christ, i can understand the guy can be a dick, i understand some of you think hes a horrible actor, but being able to fluctuate weight like that to accommodate a role at least deserves some respect. everyone is always sucking DeNiro's balls for what he did in Raging Bull, and no doubt his ability to put on that weight and get it off is incredible. I don't see how Bale doing it suddenly makes it overcompensation.

I watched the Prestige last night, easily my favourite Bale (and Nolan) film. Perhaps it's because he's "half" a selfish and unemotional arsehole... because we all know that Bale is an arsehole and Nolan can't portray emotion.

In fact, I can understand why some women might not like Nolan films. He explicitly uses women to instigate emotional plot-drives. Maybe Trinity from Memento was a strong female character (if dubiously evil) but all his others merely serve to get in the way of the male leads fantasy.

I have a feeling, maybe not commercially, but critically, that Superman may be better than the new Batman.

I find Bale's personality hilarious. Sometimes the world needs others to tell them when they're fucking stupid, and he does that very well.

I've enjoyed his acting in most films I've seen him in. Even in The Dark Knight. It wasn't just his idea to do the voice, so can you fully blame him for how cheesy it was especially considering how well the rest of the movie was done?

Guest bitroast

the quotes in the article don't really come across as that much of a 'rant'. he uses the f word, but i'm not really detecting any douche-ery going on based on the quotes :F

i wish i felt the same way about Bale's acting abilities you guys do, i haven't seen him in a single film besides American Psycho where he did a notably good job. He was not very good in the PRestige, in fact i never thought i would feel Hugh Jackman was a good actor until he clearly overshadows Bale in that movie.

He's an alright kid actor in Empire of the Sun, nothing too impressive. I've seen much mor range and intensity in child acting before.

and the 'trying to too hard' comment doesn't just stem from his ability to loose lots of weight for films that would be completely forgettable if not for Bales weight loss (the machinist) , these revelations about his Mozart like relationship he had with his father made me feel this way

apparently his father would have him ritualistically look in the mirror and ask 'Who's the greatest actor in the world?' SO i can very much understand where this movie reviewer is coming from (in the UK especially it was a big story for a while how nazi like his father was,in getting bale to succeed) if you look at only his acting and weight loss technique in a vacuum i could see how one would want to defend him, but his history as loose cannon and ego maniac is pretty well known, and i feel like i can see these personality traits come through in his acting (mostly his bad roles, i wouldn't be surprised if the gravely batman voice was Bale's idea, and Nolan was just too intimidated by him to stop it). I'm frankly sick of seeing him in so many roles, i guess i'm in the minority here , oh well.

I would be more interested to check out the fighter if i could tolerate Marky Mark, i need a higher tolerance level.

Archived