IGNORED

RoboCop Remake

posture

I tried searching for a topic on this, couldn't find one but I know it's been talked about before.

Brazilian director Jose Padilha is in negotiations with MGM to helm the ROBOCOP reboot. Padilha impressed the suits with his crime drama ELITE SQUAD and its sequel that came out in 2010. Both films were in Portuguese and weren't really big here in the states. But ELITE SQUAD 2: THE ENEMY within grossed $60 million in Brazil last year, surpassing films like AVATAR and ALICE IN WONDERLAND in Padilha's home country.

Darren Aronofsky has been off and on with this project for awhile now. Everyone seemed excited that he might have the chance to direct, but as soon as he took the next WOLVERINE film that tiny glimmer of hope was erased.

SOURCE:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/mgm-eyes-jose-padilha-for-robocop-reboot/

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118033130

http://www.joblo.com/jose-padilha-in-talks-with-mgm-to-direct-the-robocop-reboot

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a robert cop remake would be so much better

robert-cop-3.jpg

yeah, i'd enjoy it. robocop is fucking prime but it is one "classic" sci fi movie i'd be fine to pay to see a remake of, possibly because the first time i saw it was like 2 or 3 years ago. i don't have an emotional connect to it like i would blade runner or something.

just watched robocop like two days ago. kurtwood smith and miguel ferrer are fucking off the hook! awesome movie.

Guest analogue wings

Awesome director - just watched Tropa De Elite 2 the other day - but I'd only watch his Robocop remake if they let him move it to Rio and do fucking BOPE-ocop

Cos unless you do something fucked like that - what the hell would you change about Robocop? Give him a cellphone? Make buy that for a dollar guy a youtube star instead of a TV star?

The studios just want to make money from a new generation who haven't seen the original and they dont seem to get with half of these movies that they could totally just re-release the original with a big marketing campaign and make a huuuuuge margin. It's not like it's in fucking black and white. It's not like any of the shit it comments on has gone away. The ott '80s excess was satirical at the time and you could pass it off as just a weird stylistic depiction of "the future"

I only watched Elite Squad (aka Tropa de Elite) really good movie but I doubt flamboyant libruls would like it. Have to check the second movie to see if it survived the sequel syndrome. Can't believe Aronofsky is doing a Wolverine movie instead, really curious about the outcome.

Remakes... are there not about 1,000,000+ great novels and short stories that, with a tiny bit of actual effort, could be adapted into something we haven't actually seen before.

Nah fuck it make money money our market research tells us

Guest analogue wings

second one is good because it goes in a totally different direction. same guys, same cynical morally relativistic worldview, different shit happening

Guest Mirezzi

Jose Padilha is a wild card, for sure. I've seen two of his docs, Bus 174 and Secrets of the Tribe, both of which were brilliant. Politically, he's pretty cynical and bleak, so it could work out for a Robocop reboot.

Aranofsky doesn't exactly scream perfect fit.

Guest Babar

Remakes make me angry , very angry.

Remakes are part of what is art creation

i think art is an erotic relation between the artist and his subject (Lawrence said Delacroix said he painted with his penis). SO when the subject of art is art itself, you end up in the field of intellectual masturbation.

can someone name me recent hollywoodian heroes (like indiana jones, robocop, han solo) ?

I want Chris Cunningham to direct a RoboCop reboot and Autechre to score it. Then I will gladly die happy.

I want Chris Cunningham to direct a RoboCop reboot and Autechre to score it. Then I will gladly die happy.

I'd rather see the long-fabled Neuromancer by Cunningham. Why haven't they yet made Gibson's Sprawl trilogy to movies?

I'd rather see the long-fabled Neuromancer by Cunningham. Why haven't they yet made Gibson's Sprawl trilogy to movies?

because johnny mnemonic

Archived