IGNORED

Should I start collecting vinyl?

Dragon

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my point being that he wants convenience and low-to-no maintenance. which you are just not going to get with this medium

i have a cheap turntable that hasn't required any maintenance beyond setting it up when i bought it. and it sounds great. the only maintenance i have to perform is cleaning dirty records!

sound quality is a subjective thing. so is maintenance (and your personal tolerance of it).

if doing more than just putting a cd in the drive and hitting play is more maintenance / hassle for Rhombix, then vinyl is definitely a bad medium.

but this is all just my opinion on the situation. i really don't think it is the right listening medium for him. but it's not my money that would be wasted. so i give up trying to help a young guy who gets £30 a week EMA as income (and who won't be getting that pretty soon) from wasting his money.

Oh, c'mon. I always knew it would be more hassle than putting a CD in the drive and hitting play. That would just be ridiculous. What I meant was, I don't want something where I'll have to replace expensive parts every 30 seconds. I just want something that will last. I know it will generally be harder to use than CD or cassette, I'm prepared for that. I just don't want my turntable to get damaged frequently, but I suppose that depends on how well I look after it.

So, what if I got this turntable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002WTD0WC/

...and replaced the needle, and got some studio monitors to go with it. Would that produce a good result? I wouldn't be using the built-in speakers, and I wouldn't be using the needle that came with it.

Guest hahathhat

turntables aren't that complicated. a properly-speeded motor, a belt, a platter, an arm, a cartridge.... you can get great turntables out of a dumpster, if you replace the cartridge.

uhh yeah there is a reason. they sound better than your avarage hi fi speakers

more accurate maybe, but better? Sure, if you want to spend 2 grand! I highly doubt our novice collector needs monitors gimmie a fucking break.

Also, getting studio monitors for your turntable would be a waste of money. Just get a pair of traditional home use speakers. There is no reason that you would need monitors. None.

especially with that piece of crap tt he linked... just trying to be helpful.

Guest Calx Sherbet

it really doesn't sound worth it.

but you'll have to live with knowing that unwillingness = un-appreciative in watmm standards.

• 2 weeks later...

I was gonna talk to oscillik about this, since he's been really helpful about this whole thing, but he hasn't posted in over a week :/

I have my new turntable! Don't worry, I didn't cheap out. I got a Technics SL-BD22. Now I need to know, what is my next move? Do I need new speakers/headphones, different from the ones I have now? Do I need an amplifier, and if so, what kind? Also, what's this about a phono-stage? Do I need one? How do I tell if I already have one?

Guest futuregirlfriend

I got a text from oscillik earlier. He's been lurking in the rafters of Craig Anderson's bus garage waiting for the right time to strike.

Guest hahathhat

I got a text from oscillik earlier. He's been lurking in the rafters of Craig Anderson's bus garage waiting for the right time to strike.

the imagery of this post is intense. i can see the rafters

I have tried to play a record on my new turntable. What I did was use a twin phono lead and a stereo coupler to connect the turntable to a pair of speakers. The result was very quiet, even with the volume on max.

I also tried connecting it to my computer, but even that did not yield an adequate result. The Line In input resulted in an extremely quiet signal, and the Microphone input resulted in a mono signal, which is no good if I want a full stereo experience.

So, what are my options for getting an amplifier? I don't want anything over the top, basically just something that boosts the signal. I've thought about an earphone amplifier, just because it's so cheap. Would that work?

Nope. You need an amp or something capable of eq'ing the signal back to normal, otherwise it will always be quiet.

Could you go into any more detail on why it would not work? Isn't it as simple as making the signal louder?

thats what a amp is

it makes it signal louder

,,,, BUT ....

the RIAA said u should put a EQ on the music when u put it on the vinyls, then when u play it u put another eq on it which does the reverse of the 1st 1 and brings it to normal. in the vinyls the high frequencys are bigger and the low ones are quieter then u boose the low ones and shut up th equiet ones and they did it so u can fit more songs on the vinyls and to make the high noises go away

well thats what wikipedia said at least!!!

?????????

I've heard about that. A phono stage is required to recover the bass frequencies of the signal.

I found a decent headphone amplifier on eBay, which has a bass boost function. Would this be adequate? As far as I know, a phono stage just applies an equalization with heavy bass. Yes, there is an exact, RIAA-standard EQ, but I'm sure the EQ of this bass boost would be very similar.

Guest Calx Sherbet

it's really quite insane you're still organising this endeavor. thank god CD players were invented

Archived