IGNORED

Should I start collecting vinyl?

Dragon

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

vynals are pretty cool i guess but so are cds, various tape kinds and mp3/digital files !!! i like all of the music !!!!! i like to play im the baddest bitch on my vynal player :sup:

if you haven't started by now, don't bother; all the good stuff's gone.

what he said. besides, i don't need more competition scalping the nifty vin*cough* i i mean.. at sports. yes. at sports. like football.

whatchamean? all the good stuff's there. if not buried in your local recordshops somewhere then discogs is a safe bet.

it's best approached as a finders-keepers thing rather than some grand collection extravaganza.

yeah pretty much

most of the stuff i like to buy is non-obscure 70s-80s pop/prog.. which fortunately is pretty cheap and easy to come by if you know where to look. that said though, i am building up quite a nice collection of warp albums! and i'm also a sucker for coloured vinyl, something that hydra head and related labels are particularly awesome for.

Guest disparaissant

Cons:

Moving is a massive pain in the ass. I moved to a fourth floor apartment with no elevator and holy shit vinyl is HEAVY AS HELL, lugging 15 cases up four flights of stairs is pretty much one eagle-eating-your-liver short of Prometheus' fate.

I BET MY DAD I MEAN ME I BET I COULD BEAT YOU UP

Guest yikes

i have been buying and selling records for a long time

i have a collection of about 3000 lps/12s and 2000 45s

electronic/idm/ambient/prog/funk/soul/ethnic/jazz/metal /dub/reggae/soundtracks are my strong points

i make a lot of money flipping lps on bay

i just sold a butcher beatles lp for 350.00

i once sold a bloke in london a rare soul 45 for 3500.00 proving the idiocy of UK northern soul fools

best part time job ever

Guest hahathhat

i imagine that's kind of like synths, where you have to be a walking encyclopedia of what's worth $$ to get anywhere.

I've been thinking hard about this over the last few days, and I think I've made my decision. I'm going to get a turntable. Thanks to everyone in this thread for your advice.

Now, here are a couple of turntables which are in my price range. What does WATMM think? Will these be suitable? I'm looking for a turntable that will require little or no maintenance, and something with good sound quality. Both of these turntables have built-in speakers, but apparently they don't sound very good. I plan to get some speakers to go with them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002XII4JG/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002WTD0WC/

I'm looking for a turntable that will require little or no maintenance, and something with good sound quality.

in my opinion, your requirements do not exist in reality.

you're wanting to listen to a music format that requires you to be very methodical with regards to the listening mechanisms, handling of the media, etc etc etc yet you don't want to be dealing with maintenance?

in my personal opinion, it seems that vinyl is a bad choice for you, and you're only going to regret your investments in this venture.

I'm looking for a turntable that will require little or no maintenance, and something with good sound quality.

you're wanting to listen to a music format that requires you to be very methodical with regards to the listening mechanisms, handling of the media, etc etc etc yet you don't want to be dealing with maintenance?

in my personal opinion, it seems that vinyl is a bad choice for you, and you're only going to regret your investments in this venture.

lol, you're acting like the mere act of listening to a vinyl record requires it to be a full-time ordeal. "handling of the media" LOL yeah that's a real tough one. the listening mechanisms, LOL. imagine someone talking this way about cassettes.

bro it's full time, sometimes the media snaps and you have to handle it methodically by getting out a specialty philips head screwdriver and carefully opening it up so you can put some scotch tape on it, but don't use the cheap brand. ah who am i kidding, it's a lot of work - you'll probably just regret it anyway. keep listening to your stupid digital media for babies and leave the real listening to the champs

lol, you're acting like the mere act of listening to a vinyl record requires it to be a full-time ordeal. "handling of the media" LOL yeah that's a real tough one. the listening mechanisms, LOL. imagine someone talking this way about cassettes.

bro it's full time, sometimes the media snaps and you have to handle it methodically by getting out a specialty philips head screwdriver and carefully opening it up so you can put some scotch tape on it, but don't use the cheap brand. ah who am i kidding, it's a lot of work - you'll probably just regret it anyway. keep listening to your stupid digital media for babies and leave the real listening to the champs

my point being that he wants convenience and low-to-no maintenance. which you are just not going to get with this medium

my point being that he wants convenience and low-to-no maintenance. which you are just not going to get with this medium

i have a cheap turntable that hasn't required any maintenance beyond setting it up when i bought it. and it sounds great. the only maintenance i have to perform is cleaning dirty records!

i have a cheap turntable that hasn't required any maintenance beyond setting it up when i bought it. and it sounds great. the only maintenance i have to perform is cleaning dirty records!

sound quality is a subjective thing. so is maintenance (and your personal tolerance of it).

if doing more than just putting a cd in the drive and hitting play is more maintenance / hassle for Rhombix, then vinyl is definitely a bad medium.

but this is all just my opinion on the situation. i really don't think it is the right listening medium for him. but it's not my money that would be wasted. so i give up trying to help a young guy who gets £30 a week EMA as income (and who won't be getting that pretty soon) from wasting his money.

Archived