IGNORED

Should I start collecting vinyl?

Dragon

I think it's your own choice and nothing anybody else will say will effect it. Just ask yourself - do you love vinyl? I do, therfore I buy it. :cisfor:

quoted for truth

don't listen to cunts like me, or retards like MAXIMUM MISTAKE

do listen to AcrossCanyons, and everyone else in this thread that has suggested the same advice.

do it if you want to do it.

getting vinyl because someone tells you to do it is a bit...wrong.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you really need to ask a message board whether you should start consciously doing anything, you probably just shouldn't do it.

I don't get why this thread exists in the 1st place. It's like asking the watmm collective if he should wipe after dumping, or plant a garden this year, or which bar to go to on your birthday. THE ANSWER IS WITHIN.

I will suggest that you do not collect vinyl unless you are quite fond of it already. I know a few people that collect vinyl and do not own a record player. This fascinates me and puts my palm on my face. They may as well be collecting empty record sleeves, but I'm sure they would scoff at that idea. I urge you to protect yourself from the idea that collecting vinyl somehow makes you able to appreciate the music more. It doesn't. The appreciation is in your head, not the medium.

With that said, I used to buy a decent amount of vinyl, but it's expensive. I averaged about 4-5 records a month and it was always over $100 if they were new, or "collectible" old records. Unfortunately, once I stopped collecting vinyl I stopped listening to my records regularly and now they are just sitting there while I listen to digital files because I can take them with me wherever I go, they're cheaper, and I don't have to worry about destroying them.

Also, I actually have a couple of new vinyl releases that sound worse than the digital files I have - on the same speakers, with a good player! Then again I have a few others that sound quite a bit better - the burial/four tet 12" is a good example. That record sounds smooth as eggs on vinyl and it's sort of forgettable to me in mp3 format. The quality goes both ways IME.

The plural of vinyl is vinyl. You may prefer to use 'records' when referring to the plural. Saying or writing 'vinyls' makes you sound like a lisping simpleton.

when i wear my vinyl trousers i like to say 'vinyls' for short. as in "my vinyls are chafing something awful today!"

i have 3 pairs of vinyls and i think you, rhombix, should start collecting too, it's a very worthwhile passtime.

Not going to read the thread.

I've been buying vinyl lately, because they look pretty. That's the only reason.

I buy a vinyl, and then pirate the music I bought. If I need a CD I'll burn one.

Edited for improper use of the plural form of "Vinyl".

I don't get why this thread exists in the 1st place. It's like asking the watmm collective if he should wipe after dumping, or plant a garden this year, or which bar to go to on your birthday. THE ANSWER IS WITHIN.

80% of what's written on forums is a waste of time. But I'd rather be having a chat about the pro's and con's of vinyl than some fucking dullard going on about John Terry back as the England football captain, how much coke was snorted at the weekend, the pros and cons of a dollop of beans with a fucking fry-up, or how there's not much overtime at work at the moment.

Guest hahathhat

put on come to daddy vinyl while not entirely sober and thought, wow, how much did i take???

turned out the turntable needed a new belt -- it was speeding up and slowing down at random points.

winamp doesn't fuck with me like that....

put on come to daddy vinyl while not entirely sober and thought, wow, how much did i take???

turned out the turntable needed a new belt -- it was speeding up and slowing down at random points.

lol belt driven turntable

Don't do it. Best wishes from a vinyl collector.

Pretty much this.

Pros:

Records are awesome.

You can find really amazing totally obscure stuff for super cheap.

Cool factor. :sup:

Cons:

Can be fairly expensive if you want to get all your favourite rare stuff.

Moving is a massive pain in the ass. I moved to a fourth floor apartment with no elevator and holy shit vinyl is HEAVY AS HELL, lugging 15 cases up four flights of stairs is pretty much one eagle-eating-your-liver short of Prometheus' fate.

IT WILL CONSUME YOUR VERY SOUL

Yeah, when you have to turn down renting property cause there's so much of the bloody stuff its pretty stressful.

I think it's your own choice and nothing anybody else will say will effect it. Just ask yourself - do you love vinyl? I do, therfore I buy it. :cisfor:

quoted for truth

do listen to AcrossCanyons, and everyone else in this thread that has suggested the same advice.

every 2nd post is an attempt to troll me

quoted for truth

shit's tarded, brah

quoted for truth

shit's tarded, brah

you really think its cool to insult one person in almsot every one of your posts?

thats fuckin ridiculous

go back to 4chan

quoted for truth

shit's tarded, brah

you really think its cool to insult one person in almsot every one of your posts?

thats fuckin ridiculous

go back to 4chan

get your facts straight

i don't insult people in almost every one of my posts.

take this one for example.

Watcho talking about Willis, a lot of good turntables are belt driven: Rega Planar and Pro-Ject are just two [well respected] turntable manufactures that use belt-drives for pretty much all (if not all) their range

Watcho talking about Willis, a lot of good turntables are belt driven: Rega Planar and Pro-Ject are just two [well respected] turntable manufactures that use belt-drives for pretty much all (if not all) their range

i know that. but you gots to change the belt when it fucks up.

i don't subscribe to the vinyl audiophile bullshit to be honest.

well, not bullshit...just....LOTS of hassle.

Technics 1210 all the way for me thanks

if you haven't started by now, don't bother; all the good stuff's gone.

what he said. besides, i don't need more competition scalping the nifty vin*cough* i i mean.. at sports. yes. at sports. like football.

Guest Enter a new display name

Cons:

Moving is a massive pain in the ass. I moved to a fourth floor apartment with no elevator and holy shit vinyl is HEAVY AS HELL, lugging 15 cases up four flights of stairs is pretty much one eagle-eating-your-liver short of Prometheus' fate.

Archived