IGNORED

Portal 2

ghOsty

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sprigg

SPAAAAACE WE GOTTA GO TO SPAAAAAAAAAAACE ! ! ! ! !

question for those of you who finished the game: (i don't recommend reading the spoiler if you haven't beaten it yet)

did you fire at the moon randomly, or because you remembered that moonrocks were a good portal conductor?

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: I never actually thought about that till just now

SPAAAAACE WE GOTTA GO TO SPAAAAAAAAAAACE ! ! ! ! !

question for those of you who finished the game: (i don't recommend reading the spoiler if you haven't beaten it yet)

did you fire at the moon randomly, or because you remembered that moonrocks were a good portal conductor?

I remembered. but it's not like there's much choice either.

but it basically puts your gun aiming directly at it and it doesn't allow your aim to sway much away from it. Almost forces your hand. But yes, I remembered that moon-rocks thing soon after I shot the portal. I'm the kind of person that obsessively pays attention to dialogue in(most) movies and games.

but it basically puts your gun aiming directly at it and it doesn't allow your aim to sway much away from it. Almost forces your hand.

this is one of my major gripes with the game. it's one of the biggest signs of the game being 'over-simplified' for a 'wider audience' to the same degree that Crysis 2 was, compared to it's predecessor.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I just fired at it stupidly, I actually didn't quite understand what happened right afterwards until I thought about it, durrr

but it basically puts your gun aiming directly at it and it doesn't allow your aim to sway much away from it. Almost forces your hand.

this is one of my major gripes with the game. it's one of the biggest signs of the game being 'over-simplified' for a 'wider audience' to the same degree that Crysis 2 was, compared to it's predecessor.

yeah and almost every puzzle had subtle hints (not so subtle once you identify how they look), of what to do, made it a bit too easy for me. the hardest parts are where you have to find a small patch of portal-able surface. and they're not really fun to solve.

Valve are a "Big Brother" concept-obsessed company, which has it's ups and downs.

i'm currently starry-eyed for them, though.

Valve are a "Big Brother" concept-obsessed company, which has it's ups and downs.

i'm currently starry-eyed for them, though.

This bothered me more in Half life 2 than Portals.

i'm confused...what does that have to do with them dumbing down Portal 2 compared to the first Portal?

it applies on more than one level, but i was referring to instances where events are out of your control.

ahh right, i see where you were coming from now.

thing is though, Valve have never taken this approach with any of their other games.

If you check the developers' commentary they talk a lot about how they tested their puzzles, and removed anything that would create confusion and stuff.

from a game design perspective i guess it's justified because portal 2 was to be a longer game than portal, and making a longass game about solving hard puzzles to progress the story would get very tedious quick, so they dumbed down the gameplay in exchange to a smooth playthrough. but i think they could've tried something different, like adding more action based sections.

If you check the developers' commentary they talk a lot about how they tested their puzzles, and removed anything that would create confusion and stuff.

yeah i know they did that, and it's blatantly obvious just by playing the game. but i posit the theory that a puzzle game should be...puzzling.

puzzling, yes. infuriating, no. imo valve are the masters of striking that balance.

meh, i think they lost the balance here and tipped the scales just a bit too far into the easy territory. but that's just my opinion, worthless as it is to anyone but me.

don't be so down on yourself. i EXTREEEEME RAGEQUIT HL2:ep1 about halfway through 'lowlife' cos i couldn't get past a puzzle a year ago. i picked it up again this week and finally got past that bit, and holy shit am i glad i did. they're better at it than anyone else but they do occasionally get it wrong.

don't be so down on yourself. i EXTREEEEME RAGEQUIT HL2:ep1 about halfway through 'lowlife' cos i couldn't get past a puzzle a year ago. i picked it up again this week and finally got past that bit, and holy shit am i glad i did. they're better at it than anyone else but they do occasionally get it wrong.

headcrab zombie darkness? scary part of the game. bastards set it up so they'd spawn when the lights went out.

antlion spawners + cars + zombines + darkness. fuck everything about that shit. the elevator bit you're on about isn't so bad once you figure out where the power switch is.

antlion spawners + cars + zombines + darkness. fuck everything about that shit. the elevator bit you're on about isn't so bad once you figure out where the power switch is.

it's still scary :unsure:

Guest Sprigg

I thought Portal 2 was balanced well in terms of difficulty. A few puzzles I figured out by sheer luck, and there was one in particular I needed a walkthrough to get past, but overall it seemed perfect; I could figure them out, but sometimes I had to rack my brain like fuck.

the most annoying bits, as yahtzee completely correctly pointed out, were the bits where you were in those vast rooms searching for the square inch of wall that was portal-able.

Archived