IGNORED

Portal 2

ghOsty

Portal 2 DLC coming and it's apparently free for all platforms, including xbox360 (which is surprising since Microsoft wanted Valve to charge for DLC beforehand)

hopefully this will make up for the levels and content that was cut from the game.

Not free for PC... :emotawesomepm9:

yes it is :facepalm:

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portal 2 DLC coming and it's apparently free for all platforms, including xbox360 (which is surprising since Microsoft wanted Valve to charge for DLC beforehand)

hopefully this will make up for the levels and content that was cut from the game.

yes it is :facepalm:

Ah, sorry! You're right - I misread what 1up.com had said:

It had already been made clear that Portal 2 would be getting substantial downloadable content at some point. Following the controversy over the day one microtransactions that were available (comprised of optional visual flair for use in co-op), many were expecting Valve to charge for future DLC. As it turns out, the first batch will be completely free and sounds pretty good.

DLC #1 will include new test chambers and accompanying leaderboards, as well as a "challenge mode" for both single- and multiplayer. Valve didn't get any more specific than that. Unlikely as it might be, I'm holding out hope for the DLC to feature more of Stephen Merchant or J.K. Simmons, though additional GLaDOS voice work would be plenty fine, too.

The add-on's release is "targeted" for summer on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. Surprisingly enough, it'll be free on all three not platforms -- not just PC.

I read that as "just not PC". Sorry! Long day...

yeah, i too think that portal 3 isn't going to happen, but it might be a part of hl episode 3 plot (aperture, borealis...).

great game btw, but i was expecting something a lot more challenging (and extense).

yeah, Valve (so far) has always had DLC for PC users for free. the big news here is that it's the first time (to my knowledge anyways) that Valve have been able to offer DLC for free for all the platforms it has released a game on.

very good news for gamers in general. hopefully the xbox360 users won't feel as bad about not getting Steam support, if they indeed did feel bad to begin with.

yeah, i too think that portal 3 isn't going to happen, but it might be a part of hl episode 3 plot (aperture, borealis...).

great game btw, but i was expecting something a lot more challenging (and extense).

I gotta admit, so far, I haven't had too much trouble figuring out the puzzles, and have only died once (I missed a launch board and went into the toxic water).

Portal DLC #1 will be free for the PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and PS3.

valve are awesome like that. 99% of valve dlc is free.

Guest Pennywise

I dont know why people get angry about the team fortress hat thing. If there are people stupid enough to want to buy hats for their video game characters then exploit the fuck out of them

Played it through and thought it was a little short, although the levels were fun and well-designed. Wish I had waited a bit for the price to drop. But oh well.

Finished the game over the weekend, and really enjoyed the story, atmosphere, etc. Funny as hell at times too. Working on Co-op (offline) now. I thought it was just the right length - any longer and it would have been too much of a chore.

If I could fault Portal 2 for anything, is it's utter lack of replayability - once you go through the single player, unless you missed a trophy or achievement and need to re-play it, there's absolutely no incentive. The mystery of what's going to happen next is gone, and some of the puzzles were a pain in the ass, so that's put me off playing it again just for fun. Perhaps in six months or so it might become fresh again (I'm sure the DLC will help), but that's it's only fault, really.

Guest Pennywise

Finished the game over the weekend, and really enjoyed the story, atmosphere, etc. Funny as hell at times too. Working on Co-op (offline) now. I thought it was just the right length - any longer and it would have been too much of a chore.

If I could fault Portal 2 for anything, is it's utter lack of replayability - once you go through the single player, unless you missed a trophy or achievement and need to re-play it, there's absolutely no incentive. The mystery of what's going to happen next is gone, and some of the puzzles were a pain in the ass, so that's put me off playing it again just for fun. Perhaps in six months or so it might become fresh again (I'm sure the DLC will help), but that's it's only fault, really.

You must of expected that though. Just the type of game it is. The only way it would be fun to be replayed was if the chambers were randomly created(and still in the form of a puzzle obviously). That would of been awesome actually, It would make the AI characters seem more alive as they can actually just whip up new tests.

Hope the DLC is much much harder. I really want to rack my brains to solve the puzzles. I even did a few of the tests drunk and I didn't realise at the time what I was doing. I think with all the Gizmos in the game, someone should be able to make super challenging puzzles.

You must of expected that though. Just the type of game it is. The only way it would be fun to be replayed was if the chambers were randomly created(and still in the form of a puzzle obviously). That would of been awesome actually, It would make the AI characters seem more alive as they can actually just whip up new tests.

Hope the DLC is much much harder. I really want to rack my brains to solve the puzzles. I even did a few of the tests drunk and I didn't realise at the time what I was doing. I think with all the Gizmos in the game, someone should be able to make super challenging puzzles.

Oh, yes - I fully expected it to be like that - just pointing out that for others who might expect more from it once they beat it.

I liked Co-Op Test Chamber 06 (I think) where you need to have both robots collide in mid-air to drop down to the exit... brilliant stuff.

Best sound design and use of music in any game.

I mean, seriously. So good.

YES - all the ambient sounds going on... it felt like a real place at times (especially with surround sound).

yeah, it was awesome how music elements would fade in and out depending on what parts of the puzzle you were using or turning on and off.

still can't shake a little feeling of dissapointment, expected it to be a lot longer, and the puzzles all felt way easier than what i remember from portal. I understand that solving puzzle after puzzle can get a little tedious and it's an argument for not making it longer, but it could've used some more action parts in it. much like how half-life uses puzzles in between heavy action parts, but in reverse.

Guest AcrossCanyons

played through portal (1) a few nights ago. finished the story in 2 - 2.5 hours... is this much longer?

Co-op is great, I recommend playing it with someone who hasn't played through co-op yet and preferably someone you know. Solving puzzles together is great fun and you need eachother to progress.

Guest El_Chemso

Considering the list of games I last played, Call of Duty black ops, Battlefield, Medal of Honour and Operation Flashpoint. Portal 1 and 2 where like finding a oasis in the desert. I downloaded portal about a week before release as it was on offer on XBL. Soon Gears of War 3 and Deus Ex so hopefully this signals the end to the drought and onslaught of shit games.

Archived