IGNORED

Portal 2

ghOsty

i'd say it's more often that occasionally that they adopt a community created thing. they approved that fan made extra portal campaign, and i believe same was the case for the half-life expansions. usually they help out bing up the good stuff to the forefront.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd say it's more often that occasionally that they adopt a community created thing. they approved that fan made extra portal campaign, and i believe same was the case for the half-life expansions. usually they help out bing up the good stuff to the forefront.

approved fan made extra portal thing?

http://www.portalprelude.com/

There should be an ingame map-browser with some ranking/categorisation etc. Hosting can still be done at third parties. If you want to play a Counter-Strike custom map you can just join a server and it'll download the map. Why does it have to be such a pain in L4D and Portal?

http://www.portalprelude.com/

There should be an ingame map-browser with some ranking/categorisation etc. Hosting can still be done at third parties. If you want to play a Counter-Strike custom map you can just join a server and it'll download the map. Why does it have to be such a pain in L4D and Portal?

Portal Prelude isn't available on Steam :shrug:

as for your comparison to Counterstrike - the maps are hosted by the server that you join. With Portal, there are no servers to join. When you play Co-op, the game is hosted by the person who initiates the invitation to the co-operative player.

i'd be very surprised if Valve do end up making some way for console gamers to get access to community maps.

I don't know about consoles, I guess it's possible Sony & MS have strict policies regarding user generated content, especially if not generated from their system and downloaded from "untrusted" sources. They'll probably try to wall of the garden more. <insert obligatory PSN security fail reference> Ofcourse there are some important technical issues like the memory limits of consoles that are way below those of a PC.

But for the PC, I can't see what's stopping them from creating a map-browser that fetches the map files from third parties. They could add the option for providers to display an ad while downloading the map like the Counter-Strike servers seem to be able to do.

It would add value, and since Newell is always talking about providing value to the customers, that's what he should do. Offering maps on a site that you have to download & install manually in some deeply nested folder is not a good way to lengthen the game's lifespan for a broad audience.

I don't know about consoles, I guess it's possible Sony & MS have strict policies regarding user generated content, especially if not generated from their system and downloaded from "untrusted" sources. They'll probably try to wall of the garden more. <insert obligatory PSN security fail reference> Ofcourse there are some important technical issues like the memory limits of consoles that are way below those of a PC.

But for the PC, I can't see what's stopping them from creating a map-browser that fetches the map files from third parties. They could add the option for providers to display an ad while downloading the map like the Counter-Strike servers seem to be able to do.

It would add value, and since Newell is always talking about providing value to the customers, that's what he should do. Offering maps on a site that you have to download & install manually in some deeply nested folder is not a good way to lengthen the game's lifespan for a broad audience.

i think the problem is with liability. if you end up inadvertently downloading malicious content through such a content browser and you wanted someone to sue, Valve would almost certainly be liable. doesn't matter whether it's PC or console. the way it works at the moment, you're the one that's liable for downloading anything that could potentially have a virus or whatever.

Now that's what I was expecting from this game. Shit's going to get wild.

I still haven't bought it though. It's way too expensive at the moment.

Dunno about in the UK, but Amazon.com has it for 39.99 plus free shipping for 360/PS3.

I don't know about consoles, I guess it's possible Sony & MS have strict policies regarding user generated content, especially if not generated from their system and downloaded from "untrusted" sources. They'll probably try to wall of the garden more. Ofcourse there are some important technical issues like the memory limits of consoles that are way below those of a PC.

Erm, Little Big Planet 1&2 (PS3) - over 3 million+ user-generated levels. You can control what people can and cannot do with the tools you provide. No reason a level editor can't come out for 360/PS3.

Also, the whole point of porting Steam onto PS3 was to provide Valve a way to push updates and additional content and features to their games on PS3 that utilize Steam.

Guest Gary C

Dunno about in the UK, but Amazon.com has it for 39.99 plus free shipping for 360/PS3.

Yeah, it's about £35-40 here too, but from what I read earlier in this thread it's still not quite long enough to warrant that outlay. Two-player and map capabilities make it more handsome, but really, I'll probably pick it up after LA Noire has stolen some of its thunder.

Yeah, it's about £35-40 here too, but from what I read earlier in this thread it's still not quite long enough to warrant that outlay. Two-player and map capabilities make it more handsome, but really, I'll probably pick it up after LA Noire has stolen some of its thunder.

yeah i'd recommend waiting for a sale. luckily Steam summer sales are just around the corner, so maybe there'll be a chunk knocked off there

edit: oh wait, you're talking about consoles. erm, second hand?

Guest bitroast

Flash Portal.

Thought this might be of interest.

good stuff.

when i bought me nintendo ds carts, the dude was telling me how he downloaded a homebrew version of portal someone made for DS. and i asked what "what, the pc version?" and he looked at me like i was an idiot. : F

now that psn is back up I need somebody to play co-op with, anyone down? I don't have any real life friends I know of who have the game. wetpaste is my steam/psn name... I wish there was some sort of auto-matchmaking thing.

EDIT: also does anyone know if you can play with different people for different parts? I don't want to have to rely on one person to do the whole thing, I'd like to just have a big list of friends that I can be like, "hey let's play chapter 2 co-op". I also don't want to piss people off because I want to go get lunch or something.

now that psn is back up I need somebody to play co-op with, anyone down? I don't have any real life friends I know of who have the game. wetpaste is my steam/psn name... I wish there was some sort of auto-matchmaking thing.

EDIT: also does anyone know if you can play with different people for different parts? I don't want to have to rely on one person to do the whole thing, I'd like to just have a big list of friends that I can be like, "hey let's play chapter 2 co-op". I also don't want to piss people off because I want to go get lunch or something.

I'm up for it, as long as you have a mic. no mic, no show!

cool, added. I've got a mic.

sorry, i kinda fell asleep shortly after posting my reply (from my phone from the lazy comfort of bed) - my sleep pattern is still completely fucked

I tried downloading one and it only had 14 tracks, some were repeats, and it was missing a lot of the stuff I posted.

yeah that was the one I got too. If you find a better one -> PM :smile:

Archived