IGNORED

IDM and Family

QBLA

Guest Ranky Redlof

my uncle was making it before i was born, then his son was into acid and new beat. And my younger cousins are going to see ceephax and bochum welt in couple of weeks, but thats more because its 500m from their door then for the artists. PARTY IS PARTY

oh and my dad likes anything with a donk on it and some film music but the commercial dancehits really get him going. My mom likes techno and schlagermusic.

another uncle only listens to bruce springsteen, anything made with a computer is not music!

I have a cousin who only listens to gospel. Paris must be a lonely place for him heh ;-]. I think he says it actually just to kill the conversations turn towards a musical direction, because he probably doesn't like any music. Be nice if i knew him better, i would have fixed him right up.

My brother likes a good bit of AFX, I think "Start as you mean to go on" is his favorite. He's way more into French House though. His favorite bands are probably Daft Punk, Le Knight Club, Danger, and Royksopp.

Eh, might as well say the rest.

Dad likes Arcade Fire and older 60's rock. Also the Beatles, used to have all of their records before they got water damaged.

Mom doesn't have time for music. But she's been getting into Mumford and Sons (some new band). We also split the cost for Medeski Martin & Woods End of The World Party (The first album I ever bought).

My youngest brother is 11. His taste hasn't developed, but growing up with all of us, he should hopefully turn out alright, music-taste-wise.

My parents listen to classical music, and my brother listens to cheesy 80s rock.

My brother and I overlap on brian eno, but that's it.

There is one weird exception though, which is that my dad loves Ultravisitor. He thinks it's clever.

i got my brother way into "old tunes" by BOC(or whatever it is vol. 1 and 2, i don't really know the proper releases or tracklistings names), also listens to rdj album era and windowlicker aphex. he mostly listens to classic rock and hip hop though. he also listens to my music lol.

younger brother likes it all. favorite is squarepusher. he texted me saying he bought 'Glam' by Mouse on Mars recently.

k

my dad used to make fun off all the music i listened to [ even though he's the one who got me into it by playing kraftwerk and chemical brothers throughout my childhood ]

now my dad is more into it. i always would play shit for my family in the car, and they never really complained. i remember once i was playing 'hangable auto bulb' and my dad commented that it sounded like music for drug addicts. 'who else would listen to this?'

i think over a long spread of time my dad warmed to it, from forced listening. once i played some of LP5 for him and he was a bit mystified. 'how did they make this?'

my mom is pretty oblivious but she tends to like almost everything in one way or another.

she doesn't like when it gets 'scary.'

LOL.

my dad said 'Roygbiv' was terrible. it sounded like it was made on a toy synthesizer or something. i don't think he likes Boards of Canada.

my brother [and pretty much everybody worth their weight in cigarettes] loves Boards of Canada. he bought me a sweatshirt 6 or 7 christmases ago. it was an awesome shirt.

who else is there?

my dad commented saying 'is he playing all the instruments?' while listening to Music is Rotted One Nite. 'he's pretty good at the drums.'

man, my brother and i have gotten into several discussions about Squarepusher's post Ultravisitor output. the 'fusion' stage. we're both pretty mystified by the recent direction.

a LONG time ago I was playing Plaid for my dad and he said it sounded like shit. 'Yak' from trainer.

Well I don't have any siblings, but my cousin is into all the exact same stuff I'm into, music, films, food, anything. My mother is way too kindhearted to say anything bad about the music I'm listening to, even if I was listening to Lady Gaga she'd probably still "support" my "taste", but she does get a lot of the good tracks. I'd say about two thirds of all the music I have ever played. Some is over her head like Aphex' Classics, but she won't say it's bad, she'll just not enjoy it very much. And my dad's always been a blues and jazz guy, he'll like some stuff like SAW85-92 or maybe Murcof, but dislike stuff that's too complicated or modern like draft.

my mom likes nannou and all drukqs piano tracks.... probably cause i play avril 14 on piano

she likes tracks that aren't to hectic rhythmically so that narrows a lot of it down.

i put some idm tracks on my sisters laptop back in the day and she got rid of them. she likes feist and stuff..

My cousin likes noise music and my other cousin works with a modern dance group that performs to stuff by John Cage. That's about the closest it gets, which isn't very close.

Not IDM.

Beach House and shit like that, yes.

EDIT: Does Eno count, no?

2nd EDIT: I forgot about cousins. Ye may cousin likes Joy O and Clark and Burial and stuff.

still cool...

Eh. The noise stuff doesn't interest me at all, and the Cage pieces were super boring and generally incoherent, as was the dancing.

Guest Fatcaesar

My brother loves BoC and he often likes other stuff i play so yea.. my mom enjoyes some stuff i play, the more melodic and non wierd stuff

Guest EleminoP

bottom line: when it comes to electronic stuff, they can appreciate humor... but little else. "frontier psychiatrist" by the avalanches is pretty much the perfect track to play my family

Same here. My mother called that track "genius" the first time she heard it.

Guest AcrossCanyons

My brother likes a fair bit of it - no point listing specifics.

My mum has mentioned she likes some of the tracks I play - boards of canada and squarepushers 'just a souvenir' - think she likes anything funky really (jazz and soul fan). Also said she liked brian eno's music for airports when I played it so I brought it for her.

Don't think my dad liked much of what I played but don't think he paid too much attention to it. Wasn't really a huge music fan in general and when he was it was the same stuff my mum listened to.

Oh yea, my mom likes cLOUDDEAD's Ten. Idk if that counts for anything. I think her boyfriend really likes Campfire Headphase whenever I play it in the car.

i was listening to :snares: - 'dance like you're selling nails' the other day, half way through the song mom bursts in and tells me this is 'the music they play in hell'

on the other hand, she has a special place in her heart for any post-dilla beats

A while ago I put a few tracks by AFX/BoC on my sister's phone and asked her to rate them. Here's what she came up with:

4: Good - Sorta same as Fingerbib!

Cornish Acid: Gives me a headache

Peek 824545201: Gives me a headache

Fingerbib: OK/Good

Carn Marth: Gives me a headache

To cure a weakling child: Crap!

Goon Gumpas: TOO SLOW! Good/Boring

Yellow Calx: Gives me a headache

Girl/Boy Song: OK/Boring/Good

Logan Rock Witch: OK/Boring

[elephant song]: Gives me a headache

[cuckoo]: OK/Good :smile: