IGNORED

food thread and 'bad food' addiction

vamos scorcho

Like most people here, I'm not entirely sure how healthy my diet is because nutrition is confusing, but I think I eat pretty healthily. I make myself a lot salad, curries and stir-fries. I always cook my own food, I never add salt, and I use a lot of spinach, chicken, beets and yogurt in my cooking.

But that stuff takes a while to cook, and if you don't like cooking/are busy then that's not a good option.

For healthy snack food, the solution you're looking for is fruit. Fruit is seriously like the cheapest food out there, it's good for you, and it's delicious. Just keep your house stacked with apples/bananas/oranges/peaches. Someone suggested melon, but that doesn't taste as good and requires more preparation. Just make sure you have apples and stuff in your house at all times and you can't go wrong.

I eat a lot of the same stuff you do. a little salt is not bad. I suggested melons/cantaloupe. Cantaloupe shits all over apples in terms of protein to calorie ratio. And I happen to think they taste better. Berries are also wonder fruits - blackberries and blueberries. Also if you spend 5 minutes dicing up a cantaloupe and put it in tupperware at the beginning of the week, your time investment is minimal.

Fiznuthian is pretty much spot on about grains and carbs - and his proviso that if you're an athlete you should ignore it is good advice too.

Ultimately - not one diet is gonna fit every one.

Counting calories is a waste of time and its fucking stressful.

Michael Pollan's books are good - I like a little more meat than he suggests, but I need protein. Chicken breasts and egg whites it is!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Coalbucket PI

Egg whites though, are you seriously saying you throw away the best bit? It's like getting a Double Down and eating the paper it comes wrapped in

Whites have all the protein, yolks have all the cholesterol. (not quite true but it's good enough). If you're having one a day then by all means, eat the yolk. However there are some days when I'm having like 6 eggs a day.

I'm pretty much addicted to wasabi flavored almonds. For a while I ate a truckload of hummus every week.

I've really been laying off the ice cream, chocolate, candy, and fast food for a while, though. Only when I'm peer pressured into it.

I'm pretty much addicted to wasabi flavored almonds. For a while I ate a truckload of hummus every week.

I've really been laying off the ice cream, chocolate, candy, and fast food for a while, though. Only when I'm peer pressured into it.

HUMMUS is so fucking delicious i tear through that shit when i buy it. that shit rarely lasts more than a day. goddamn so good.

*pours hummus down boxer shorts*

Guest Sprigg

Yeah man, fast food... I had Taco Bell for the first time in months yesterday, and I felt like shit the entire day. It really didn't even taste good, but I wasn't paying and I was hungry.

Just had a bowl of granola, almonds and sliced up banana. Fucking awesome.

since last january i cleaned up my eating habits and added exercise back into my life and lost close to 50 lbs by mid april, but since then i've been less strict on myself about eating and exercising but i'm hoping to get back soon. i think some of it came from it being summer, and a lot of plans i make with friends involve food or getting drinks. but yeah before january i wouldn't really say i was 'addicted' to soda or pizza or anything, i just had too much of it. i wasn't addicted to ben and jerry's red velvet cake ice cream, it was just really fucking good.

but yeah even with the 37 ish pounds i've lost so far, i still have about 50 more to go to get to my goal weight which would be pretty awesome

i2dw5nf19nhgsrrhYoc8oYPyo1_500.jpg

The Meat-Up

Ground Beef, topped with 2 pepperoni logs, stuffed with Cheez Whiz, topped with a layer of bacon, topped with a layer of mozzarella cheese slices, topped with more bacon, topped with meatballs and served with brown gravy.

The Meat-Up

Ground Beef, topped with 2 pepperoni logs, stuffed with Cheez Whiz, topped with a layer of bacon, topped with a layer of mozzarella cheese slices, topped with more bacon, topped with meatballs and served with brown gravy.

good lord. looks like it straddles the line between pleasure and death.

anyway, just coming here to proclaim that i'm considering making the shift towards vegetarian > to vegan eventually. i feel it would solve my issues while settling some shit on the 'moral quandary' front at the same time. might have to try The Meat Up first

my breakfast everyday. two scoops whey protien, spoon of peanut butter, banana, raw baby carrots, maybe some raw broccoli, raw flax-seed, cold seltzer water and blend. Amazing!!

Guest Iain C

In the past year, I've gained significant weight for the first time since puberty. Where I was once a svelte 9 to 10 stone, I'm now 11 to 12...

My BMI is still healthy, but I've put on a couple of inches in the belly and I don't like it. I guess this is just what happens when you turn 25. I'm taking steps to remedy it - eating healthier and doing regular CV exercise for the first time in my life. Right now that seems more important to me than eating pizza every week.

Guest fiznuthian

Whites have all the protein, yolks have all the cholesterol. (not quite true but it's good enough). If you're having one a day then by all means, eat the yolk. However there are some days when I'm having like 6 eggs a day.

nah you're good man! almost all of it turns into HDL cholesterol, which is non-atherosclerotic and artery clogging.

god, i go through phases eating anywhere from 6 to 15 or so eggs a day whole. feels good man.

Guest fiznuthian

The Meat-Up

looks good, imo.

i think its strange that people associate deathly kill-you-at-50 foods with being bacon wrapped and loaded with meatballs, pepperoni, and cheese.

but the truth is a monster food heavy on the bread and secretly embedded with sugars will kill you quicker.

if the autoimmune disorders and inflammatory disease don't get you first anyway.

nah you're good man! almost all of it turns into HDL cholesterol, which is non-atherosclerotic and artery clogging.

god, i go through phases eating anywhere from 6 to 15 or so eggs a day whole. feels good man.

That is actually true - however the yolks also contain all of the fat in an egg, and 27% of that is saturated. Additionally, if you want the full benefits of yolks, you're eating that shit raw. It's not dangerous to eat raw eggs, but props to you if you can suck down 15 raw eggs. Whites on the other hand need to be lightly cooked, you get the majority of the protein, and none of the fat.

HDL Cholesterol can be found in many other food sources without the additional saturated fats. I'm not a professional nutritionist, but since I play sports at a level that I need to take what I eat seriously, I have done some research into it.

Guest AcrossCanyons

Speaking of snacking, this is my new pleasure:

Almond_2_Bars_42g.jpg

I recommend these wholeheartedly

I am pretty addicted to any kind of cereal bar. Problem is if I buy a pack to snack on I will finish it in about two hours flat. :emb:

That is actually true - however the yolks also contain all of the fat in an egg, and 27% of that is saturated. Additionally, if you want the full benefits of yolks, you're eating that shit raw. It's not dangerous to eat raw eggs, but props to you if you can suck down 15 raw eggs. Whites on the other hand need to be lightly cooked, you get the majority of the protein, and none of the fat.

HDL Cholesterol can be found in many other food sources without the additional saturated fats. I'm not a professional nutritionist, but since I play sports at a level that I need to take what I eat seriously, I have done some research into it.

If you eat whole grains they contain micro fibres that help filter out cholesterol in your blood

Guest yikes

a big thing most folks forget is that any kind of fruit juice /soda is like liquid candy

water down juice and avoid all soda

i just read a study that took 20 years to complete and they named 10 foods that consistently put weight on people ever long periods of time

potatoes in any form were at the top of the list as were butter and anything fried

as a long time vegetarian/vegan i was not surprised to see red meat on the list

i know a few skinny carnivores but they are ectomorphs and just have that naturally super fast metabolism

most folks i know who eat red meat are over weight -FACT! - and that includes chicken

it takes 2-3 days to really break down cow flesh and that is if you are young and have a lot of HCL being produced in the gut

as you grow older you produce less and less acids to break down that meat and it stagnates

it then can line the intestinal walls,and over time causing blockages and poor digestion

ever see a person with noy just a gut but a "pregnant" looking gut while the rest of them is mainly "in shape"?

you know the look-its like they have a matt's beer ball in their belly-men that look pregnant

-blocked colon/backed up intestines

http://itthing.com/study-links-these-10-foods-to-substantial-weight-gain

Archived