IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started eating Paleo a few days a week. I fumbled a couple of days there mostly because the food was just too convenient and I was hungry, but I want this to work, so I will take the plunge.

I woke up early to run in place on my elliptical a few times last week. Also, I did some sit ups. Sleeping in is a lot better.

Nonsense. I like that post workout feeling better than I like being high. Props to you for being able to pull yourself out of bed though.

I woke up early to run in place on my elliptical a few times last week. Also, I did some sit ups. Sleeping in is a lot better.

Nonsense. I like that post workout feeling better than I like being high. Props to you for being able to pull yourself out of bed though.

Same here. Something about being completely demolished after a workout feels good lol.

You said you do p90x as well... I especially like the feeling after doing 450 pushups in the chest/back workout lol. It's like surviving a near death experience or something; all that adrenaline etc

Same here. Something about being completely demolished after a workout feels good lol.

You said you do p90x as well... I especially like the feeling after doing 450 pushups in the chest/back workout lol. It's like surviving a near death experience or something; all that adrenaline etc

Yeah, I do, but I don't have the muscle endurance yet to make it through the entire workouts the way the trainers do. I usually have to cut it short or I get to the point where I can only do like 5-10 pushups in a set. By the end of chest and back I can literally only do like 2 pull-ups so I supplement by finishing the set with the bands.

The worst in my opinion are the slow 4 seconds down & 4 second up pushups. Those things are torture.

Those ones are brutal you're right!

I'm the same as you I think; I don't make it through the video in the time the trainers do. I usually end up taking about an extra 30/45 minutes. Usually jump on the elliptical or exercise bike in between sets as my muscles rest.

But all things considered, I think p90x and to a lesser extent, p90x2, are great workouts!

I haven't read the last few pages of this thread properly yet, but I see a lot of talk on this last page about creatine.

Thought I'd just make you aware that if you are using anything other than creatine monohydrate, you're wasting your money. All of these are other formulations are complete bullshit (ethyl ester etc), and offer no advantage over straight monohydrate (and there are plenty of studies to back that up). All of these blends have been created by supplement companies to bleed you of money.

Straight monohydrate is one of the most studied supplements around and it's been found to be completely safe. Also, don't buy into any of that cycling shite. You don't have to spend a week taking loading it into your system. That is something that has also been created by the supplement companies and here's why - creatine monohydrate is cheap, and you burning though it quickly for a week is just another way of getting you to take your creatine quickly so you spend more. Just take 5 - 10g per day and you'll be fine.

The only other creatine to go for other than creatine monohydrate is creapure. Creapure is still straight monohydrate, but the manufacturing process produces a high quality creatine.

I haven't read the last few pages of this thread properly yet, but I see a lot of talk on this last page about creatine.

Thought I'd just make you aware that if you are using anything other than creatine monohydrate, you're wasting your money. All of these are other formulations are complete bullshit (ethyl ester etc), and offer no advantage over straight monohydrate (and there are plenty of studies to back that up). All of these blends have been created by supplement companies to bleed you of money.

Straight monohydrate is one of the most studied supplements around and it's been found to be completely safe. Also, don't buy into any of that cycling shite. You don't have to spend a week taking loading it into your system. That is something that has also been created by the supplement companies and here's why - creatine monohydrate is cheap, and you burning though it quickly for a week is just another way of getting you to take your creatine quickly so you spend more. Just take 5 - 10g per day and you'll be fine.

The only other creatine to go for other than creatine monohydrate is creapure. Creapure is still straight monohydrate, but the manufacturing process produces a high quality creatine.

That creatine serum link I posted is pure creatine monohydrate with a couple other minor things as well. Good information though. Also, should be noted that stacking creatine is really hard on your liver.

I think stacking for the most part has gone out of style except for the super hardcore and/or uneducated. I think most people just take a scoop of their preworkout supplement these days and most of them contain CM or some proprietary blend of creatine.

I don't take a pre-workout supplement myself, but I guess if they contain a straight monohydrate then it's all good. I imagine the only problem may be that each scoop contains a negligible amount compared to what you get taking creatine on its own (I may be wrong there, however).

I guess it's important to note that all of these are just supplements and if you have a pretty good, varied diet then you don't need most of them. I only use a protein powder and creatine mono, but I only use the former as a convenient way of upping my protein intake (though considering the UK government slapped VAT on it at the end of last year, I may not buy it as much).

On a last note, apologies for my lack of editing in that creatine post. Full of errors in typing and only really picked up on them after I was unable to edit the post, so I'm glad it made sense.

I don't take a pre-workout supplement myself, but I guess if they contain a straight monohydrate then it's all good. I imagine the only problem may be that each scoop contains a negligible amount compared to what you get taking creatine on its own (I may be wrong there, however).

I guess it's important to note that all of these are just supplements and if you have a pretty good, varied diet then you don't need most of them. I only use a protein powder and creatine mono, but I only use the former as a convenient way of upping my protein intake (though considering the UK government slapped VAT on it at the end of last year, I may not buy it as much).

On a last note, apologies for my lack of editing in that creatine post. Full of errors in typing and only really picked up on them after I was unable to edit the post, so I'm glad it made sense.

What about ph-correct creatine monohydrate vs the raw form?

I have read a number of studies indicating the ph-correct (such as purple k) is much more highly absorbable.

What about ph-correct creatine monohydrate vs the raw form?

I have read a number of studies indicating the ph-correct (such as purple k) is much more highly absorbable.

I've not been privvy to such studies, Stephen, so I can't claim to pass any authoritative judgement. However, I've done a cursory search on google about this ph-correct stuff and I'm sniffing bullshit about it.

I'll quote the following from a ph-correct substance that I've seen listed:

"Patented Creatine Stabilization Technology: The world's only creatine that doesn't lose potency before reaching muscle."

That statement alone concerns me and it smacks of marketing bullshit. There's a lot of talk in the blurb of some creatine supplements about how they help to absorb creatine better and stop it being converted into less potent forms, but most of this is nonsense. Creatine is naturally synthesised within the body anyway, and most of what they claim that supplemented creatine gets turned into happens anyway, so don't get taken in by that.

Also, you may/may have come across chatter about making sure that you only take creatine with certain drinks as taking it with the wrong drink destroys it before it ever reaches your stomach. This is flat out wrong. Stomach acid is incredibly strong so if creatine where to be destroyed by a drink that is on the slightly acidic side, it would never reach your system anyway once it mixes with hydrochloric acid. None of these drinks will denature creatine so drink it with whatever you want. You can also take it at any time of the day as well.

So, if you were asking for my personal recommendation, I would stick with a straight creatine mono, Stephen (buy some creapure if you can). It's very cheap, and a simple 5g a day will last you for a long time,

Thanks for the tips! I'll give the creapure a shot. :cool:

No probs.

You should find that creatine gives you a bit more gas in the tank and that you can squeeze out a few more reps. Give the product a week or two to fully get into your system before you decide whether or not it's working for you. There is a small percentage of the population who are 'non-responders' but this is because they produce naturally high levels of creatine and supplementation does nothing for them.

Oh, and one last point, be sure to drink lots of water whilst using creatine. Prolonged usage with a low water intake isn't good for you.

Also, just came across about liquid creatine. Question asked was 'Do liquid creatines work?':

'Most certainly not. Creatine degrades over time in water into it's waste product creatinine which is useless in the body and will simply be excreted. Companies who claim that they have stabilized creatine in a liquid are flat out lying to you. One of these companies (I believe Muscle Marketing USA) had a lab assay done on their liquid creatine and the assay found that it only contained 15% of the creatine on the label claim. I would like to further de-credify these companies by noting that one of the reasons they claim their product is so good is because their creatine does not make your retain water. WHAT? As I have stated earlier, this is one of the biggest benefits of creatine, this clearly shows their eagerness to prey upon the ignorance of the public.'

Ok, I have a series of most likely n00bish questions:

Ive been hard on this running kick, and Ive basically been doing 4-45 or 50 min runs every week, with a day in between to rest. According to the treadmill (and I know this is the first mistake), Ive been burning about 800 calories per run....now I was told to usually assume that the calorie count is inaccurate by about 100-150 calories either way...but according to those stats I am theoretically burning 1/3-1/2 lb of body fat every week, right? (btw stop me if im horribly wrong about any of this)

My diet has been almost identical to the one I had when lifting, lots of eggs and some meat/veggies at night.

So my question is this: why have I been gaining weight? I mean a noticeable amount of weight. In the past month, since I have been doing this routine, I've put on 6-7 pounds...wtf? And considering that's after I burn whatever I burn from running, that would mean Im consuming something insane like 1500 calories over my daily diet every day.....and Im positive Im not.

My body looks and feels the same, arguably more toned around the midsection, but my lower belly has expanded ever so slightly (enough to feel it over the belt...not literally over but feels more protruding, you know what I mean).

So what the hell is going on? Is this the dreaded "plateau" people go on about? Even then I would imagine that putting on 6+ pounds in a month while doing heavy exercise is a little ridiculous.

I didn't pig out or get that wasted over the holidays...maybe one, two nights of moderate drinking at most....and Im sure that doesn't make that big of a dent in one's metabolism. Is my body starving because of the calorie loss while exercising isn't made up with increased diet? If so, wouldn't I be losing weight, as the muscle would be the first to go?

I feel like I don't understand exercise at all. I know Im supposed to vary it up, but running really gives me a high and Im rather addicted to that. I love to run and feel good afterwards but if for some strange reason I keep gaining weight from it I'd be inclined to stop.

Should I consult a doctor about this? btw, I know this sounds pathetic.

Interesting questions, be good to hear what people think.

I run a lot (marathon training) and am not really shifting weight particularly rapidly. I'm over 6ft 2 and over 14 stone so slightly heavy for my size but nothing serious. I was hoping to get seriously lean (c. 13 stone) with my training but I don't think that's going to happen. I've dropped about 2 pounds in 2 months. I play a lot of football and so I wonder if I am developing stronger leg muscles and so my fat loss is being offset?

I've been getting a lot of exercise lately, between hot yoga, parkour training, and daily lower back/core work. I've never been in better shape nor has my body looked better. And I still feel depressed as fuck. Thanks brain! Brains are great.

Interesting questions, be good to hear what people think.

I run a lot (marathon training) and am not really shifting weight particularly rapidly. I'm over 6ft 2 and over 14 stone so slightly heavy for my size but nothing serious. I was hoping to get seriously lean (c. 13 stone) with my training but I don't think that's going to happen. I've dropped about 2 pounds in 2 months. I play a lot of football and so I wonder if I am developing stronger leg muscles and so my fat loss is being offset?

was just reading that weight gain like I experienced might be the body redistributing muscle/glycogen etc. etc....which I guess would make sense as I'd be using my legs a hell of a lot more than my chest.....but then again I have no idea if this is a valid point.

Ok, I have a series of most likely n00bish questions:

Ive been hard on this running kick, and Ive basically been doing 4-45 or 50 min runs every week, with a day in between to rest. According to the treadmill (and I know this is the first mistake), Ive been burning about 800 calories per run....now I was told to usually assume that the calorie count is inaccurate by about 100-150 calories either way...but according to those stats I am theoretically burning 1/3-1/2 lb of body fat every week, right? (btw stop me if im horribly wrong about any of this)

My diet has been almost identical to the one I had when lifting, lots of eggs and some meat/veggies at night.

So my question is this: why have I been gaining weight? I mean a noticeable amount of weight. In the past month, since I have been doing this routine, I've put on 6-7 pounds...wtf? And considering that's after I burn whatever I burn from running, that would mean Im consuming something insane like 1500 calories over my daily diet every day.....and Im positive Im not.

My body looks and feels the same, arguably more toned around the midsection, but my lower belly has expanded ever so slightly (enough to feel it over the belt...not literally over but feels more protruding, you know what I mean).

So what the hell is going on? Is this the dreaded "plateau" people go on about? Even then I would imagine that putting on 6+ pounds in a month while doing heavy exercise is a little ridiculous.

I didn't pig out or get that wasted over the holidays...maybe one, two nights of moderate drinking at most....and Im sure that doesn't make that big of a dent in one's metabolism. Is my body starving because of the calorie loss while exercising isn't made up with increased diet? If so, wouldn't I be losing weight, as the muscle would be the first to go?

I feel like I don't understand exercise at all. I know Im supposed to vary it up, but running really gives me a high and Im rather addicted to that. I love to run and feel good afterwards but if for some strange reason I keep gaining weight from it I'd be inclined to stop.

Should I consult a doctor about this? btw, I know this sounds pathetic.

Yeah, if you aren't getting enough calories your body is going to start storing fat. That is probably why you are seeing belly fat. I know when I go a few days without getting enough calories that my body starts storing around my love handles. I imagine if you had weak legs before that all this lower body stuff could be adding lots of muscle and that is why you are gaining weight. I think you just need to feel out that "sweet spot" where caloric intake and exercise balance out. Personally, I just eat when I'm hungry and try to exercise as regularly as possible and I maintain weight pretty easily. If you burn too many calories doing cardio it is going to eat all your muscles up and then you won't process calories as well which will be bad for your metabolism and fat burning ability.

My completely unprofessional opinion would be to cut excess sugar out of your diet completely, try to fine tune your caloric intake, and cut your running down by half and spend the rest on doing muscle training. If you don't want size start working out doing exercises that are high rep and don't require much weight if any at all. e.g. pushups, pullups, core, etc.

Finished after 4 months of running last year with a half marathon and ~35k per week. All on fore-foot strike, which took a while to get used to. Then I spent one week in Japan and one week with jetlag/being lazy, so now I´m back to 15k a week...sigh

Doesn´t help that it´s still freezing outside... I am really pleased though with my Vibram New Balance. I was afraid it might get too cold/wet in Winter, but it wasn´t any different in my old running shoes.

Besides running I did pull-ups and a push-ups, but I´m struggeling with Tendinitis in my left hand, so I have to keep it at a slow pace.

still running and apparently put on another half pound of weight. what the absolute fuck.....now im too scared to eat anything and too terrified to keep running.

Archived