IGNORED

Bikes

Guest theSun

Edit, just thought I'd say, when I say bog standard I don't mean that like a bad thing. They are well know rims, that have been around for a long time, nothing spectacular, but also nothing that's mass produced somewhere in Asia to very low quality controls before being shipped to X company for a couple brand stickers to be applied, which does happen a lot with bike components.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest iamabe

76-grand-prix.jpg

got this for $150 a few years ago. I ride in Boston so I hate riding December-March and I ride sparingly when its fucking humid as shit out in July. April May June Sept Oct November are glorious though.

that bike looks like BoC HEAVEN!

*queue kid for today*

i must acquire a vintage raleigh for my beach vacation bike.

riding to the beach fuck it all y'all

im salivating over this bike jesus christ

hahah...

im sure you can find one in your area or one like it. Its got character but i usually wish I had something that wasn't so old and shitty when I see hipsters with new clean fixies blazing past me.

actually thats a lie, i mostly just wish my legs weren't so shitty and I had better lungs

Guest Al Hounos

this is what I've been lusting over recently.. Completely impractical bike that's awesome for aggresive street riding. It's all about 24s!!!!

<3

p4pb4604041.jpg

about £650 which at the moment feels like a lifetime away :(

nice. i got a .243 a lot like this one only with a front brake and a 4"marzocchi up front. gotta love STEEL!

CIMG0008.JPG

I used to ride one of these in my teenage years when I used to do more bmx and dirt jumping, I loved the shit out if this bike (GT Speed Series Team)... last I heard GT isn't around anymore... shame, they were great bikes.

99gt24side_lg.jpg

Guest theSun

not a whole lot, one of em have slightly better brakes, and a slightly better deraillerurure. Different rims as well, a few small differences here n there.

Different model year, companies do that kinda thing, rename a model, or slightly alter some of its components.. Dunno why really, to be difficult perhaps?

anyways, out of the two, I'd favour the 2009 for exactly the reasons the list on the side..

better brakes, tektro aren't amazing, but they're better than the other bike, and will be easier to get replacements pads for, well know brand..

better gears, Deore Rear mech is kinda entry level rear gear changer, will shift smoother and faster than the other, also 8 gears on the back, not 7

better rear hub as well. The 2009 uses what's called a cassette, the 2010 has a free wheel. without going to into detail, the free wheel is far heavier, less reliable, and potentially more expensive to fix when something brakes.

Better rims I think, zak19s are really bog standard stuff, the Alex ones I'm not sure about. again, will make a difference to weight.

Don't know either fork tbh, but RST aren't so bad, I had a pair some years ago, pretty reliable either way.

Yeah 2009 seams like a pretty decent bike man.

thank you!

i'm going to test ride the one on craigslist this weekend and if i don't get that one i'll get one of those ebay jamis ones.

going to allegany state park trails next weekend.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffff

[nice. i got a .243 a lot like this one only with a front brake and a 4"marzocchi up front. gotta love STEEL!CIMG0008.JPG

she's a beauty man!! Looks like DMR trail blade forks also. I had similar frame and fork on my last dirt bike. wish I hadn't sold it some years back. I was kinda serious about trying to become a session guitarist at the time. Managed to break a bunch of bones in my hand being stupid on my bike and figured It was time to give it up..

Miss it now :( Agree though, steel all the way. Steel bends, aluminium snaps!

I used to ride one of these in my teenage years when I used to do more bmx and dirt jumping, I loved the shit out if this bike (GT Speed Series Team)... last I heard GT isn't around anymore... shame, they were great bikes.

Nah dude, GT is still about! Still making BMX bikes as well!

i'm so fucking excited to get back on a bike

fuck

yes! :beer::yeah:

i'm still riding this to work

mongoose1_copy3_lg.jpg

how is riding on a bmx bike?

i have honestly never been on one, and i have a very difficult time grasping how to ride one comfortably.

bmx bikes seem squashed, with low seats and high handlebars. is the ride different than they look?

Modern bmx's aren't designed for sitting on however the 81 supergoose reissue has a lower BB and with the renthal layback post is very light and comfortable tho i do have shortass legs

ok let's say i want a bike as i can't drive... general going-about bike, but that that i also want to start going on day/multi-day long trips though somewhat mountainous terrain... not really offroad mountain biking stuff, but just that yeah, i'll be needing gears.

i don't mind spending a bit of money if it's worthwhile... kind of prefer buying secondhand though

i haven't owned a bike since i was 15 and i have no idea why. as a kid that was the highlight of my weekend... biking around the hills and down trails and trying to do as many KM as possible on your speedometer in a day haha. i borrowed one on holiday a few years ago and it was so much fun that i have no idea why i haven't got back into it sooner.

or kind of like... what do i want to look out for when buying one? only thing i can think of is that i'm quite tall so maybe i'd need a bigger frame or something

something like this: 2011 specialized sirrus elite (under $700).

- aluminum frame

- carbon fork

- 9 speed cassette (27 total)

- good rear derailleur

- ok shifters and front derailleur

- 700c wheels (taller, thinner, and faster than mountain bike wheels)

ride it for a year, and if you really like it, spend another $300 next year to upgrade the shifters and derailleurs to shimano xt:

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SL-M770-Rapidfire-Shift-Lever/dp/B0015282FC/

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-FD-M771-Down-Swing-Derailleur-34-9mm/dp/B0011ZCEIY/

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-RD-M771-Rear-Derailleur-SGS/dp/B001CB8IJQ/

Guest theSun

just got that craigslist jamis for $375. the back gears are a little rusty and may need to be replaced, and it needs a general tune up. but i just put 10 miles or so on it yesterday and it rides great!

did a little bit dirt riding and the front shocks make such a big difference. going over curbs and rocks is a breeze, even while going really fast.

fuck work why aren't i riding my new bike fuckfuck

Guest Coalbucket PI

I find that shock absorbers feel amazing after you get used to a rigid frame, and then after you get used to shock absorbers and you ride a rigid bike it feels like you're suddenly using your energy much better.

I got my bike back from the shop on Friday and did a swift 10k, it was nice. Some drunk guy tried to run alongside me in the street and I let him think he was about to catch me and then just sped off like a true genius, but I looked back after and realised he was about 50 and bright red and wheezing so I hope I didn't kill him, sort of.

Guest fiznuthian

I find that shock absorbers feel amazing after you get used to a rigid frame, and then after you get used to shock absorbers and you ride a rigid bike it feels like you're suddenly using your energy much better.

I got my bike back from the shop on Friday and did a swift 10k, it was nice. Some drunk guy tried to run alongside me in the street and I let him think he was about to catch me and then just sped off like a true genius, but I looked back after and realised he was about 50 and bright red and wheezing so I hope I didn't kill him, sort of.

okay so it's not just me! everyone i know wants a bike with full suspension and i just don't understand why.

i had the opportunity to clear rough trails on a Specialized Big Hit Comp with full suspension, marzocchi and fox shocks.

honestly it felt like riding a cadillac through the woods, and was a super comfortable ride but beyond that i just did not enjoy it.

rigid fork+frame is super rough and painful, but i just love knowing that every last bit of leg power is being utilized.

i feel safer on a rigid too, because subtle shifts in stability are felt in my body and i react much quicker to dangerous situations.

my first big MTB purchase will undoubtedly be a hardtail with rigid fork, possibly a suspension fork if the lockout is solid and worth the money.

rear suspension is too much

Guest fiznuthian

just got that craigslist jamis for $375. the back gears are a little rusty and may need to be replaced, and it needs a general tune up. but i just put 10 miles or so on it yesterday and it rides great!

did a little bit dirt riding and the front shocks make such a big difference. going over curbs and rocks is a breeze, even while going really fast.

fuck work why aren't i riding my new bike fuckfuck

congrats man!

lol, quit work and go riding!

99gt24side_lg.jpg

I used to have one very similar to this. It got stolen when I moved to NYC, 12 years ago :(

Had some nice sunny dry days here in the UK so i've tried to make the most of it. Had a really good 42 mile ride two days ago on one of my usual routes through Shropshire to Bridgenorth, well i went about five miles past Bridgenorth along the river seven on the way to Ironbridge.. anyway it was great, it's so good to be outside in the fresh air surrounded by trees and natural sounds with the amazing Shropshire views in the background. Rode another one of my usual routes yesterday but stayed a little closer to home and rode 22 miles.. really good ride due to it having a good mix of terrain including roads, canals and disused railways and with me living high up on a hill means there’s always a hard ride back too. Was well pleased with how much energy i had left in the tank after the hard ride the day before.. Even Thinking of another Shropshire ride today.

ahh you're lucky man, Shropshire is a beautiful part of the country, it's where my parents retired to so I visit there quite a bit. pleanty of good biking places!

I think, my fav place I England at least is when you head south though, through the Wye valley is just jaw dropping, not sure how good it'd be for biking mind. I'm on the edge of the downs, which is pretty good, not amazing mind. still need to get a good couple routes figured out.

this is my bike. specialized crosstrail sport 2011:

2011_crosstrail_sport_disc_black.jpg

i ride this 9 hours a day for work. it's solid as a rock. in the year that i've had it it's never even needed a tune up.

the key thing when getting a bike is to test ride a bunch of them. you'll know when you've found the right bike because it will just feel right once you're on it. i test drove tons of bikes, making all sorts of adjustments to the seat height, handlebars, etc... none of them felt that comfortable. as soon as i rode this one for the first time i knew right away i was going to get it.

Guest fiznuthian

:cisfor: Have you ever listened to "Happy Cycling" while cycling happpily?

must do this! i'm doing it tomorrow :)

• 1 year later...

recently bought a neglected Koga miyata for 75.. fixed er up a bit and now it's decent bike for casual city riding, very smooth

with an old, basic but still solid shimano 800 set.

ecKRj.jpg

i need a new crank for my jake '09, a cyclocross type of bike, burly:

GHf9m.jpg

edit: the first one is a 1984 model (k/m) 'roadwinner', it's smooth, kinda heavy of course. might sell it for a higher price and use the profit from that on a new crank tho.

Archived