IGNORED

A request to the modern electronic music composer

mcbpete

Dear Modern electronic music composer making tracks during 2011,

Please can you stop using that side compression effect on your synths so that every time a beat kicks in the whole mix dips down for a bit. It's not big, it's not clever, it just makes it sound like your ears have popped after blowing your nose.

Plus it's gonna date your track. Plus everyone's doing it now (I'm suprised you can't add that effect to ring tones on your phone now)

Thanks - love you lots.

Pete.

What's this side chain compression you talk of? I must try it out.

Just makes me think of that awful "call on me" tune from a few years back. Kinda assumed that was a mistake.

Dear Pete. There are different settings on a sidechaining compressor. I find it to be tasty in moderation, useful for strange FX, and a great tool to prevent mud. While you're at it, why not tell people to lay off autotune and vocoders? chorus FX is such a dated sound, your song won't last into the next milennium.

In all fairness, fuck stuttering and glitch effects

All the best,

chimera slot mom, a modern electronic music composer

Guest hahathhat

Dear Modern electronic music composer making tracks during 2011,

Please can you stop using that side compression effect on your synths so that every time a beat kicks in the whole mix dips down for a bit. It's not big, it's not clever, it just makes it sound like your ears have popped after blowing your nose.

Plus it's gonna date your track. Plus everyone's doing it now (I'm suprised you can't add that effect to ring tones on your phone now)

Thanks - love you lots.

Pete.

http://soundcloud.com/nevenen/disco-biscuits

Dear Pete. There are different settings on a sidechaining compressor. I find it to be tasty in moderation, useful for strange FX, and a great tool to prevent mud.

Ohooooh no, the use of side-chain compression is fine - hell I use it myself ! I was referring to the current trend (and I suspect it'll be just that, a trend) where everyone and their dog finish off their mix by just doing this :

buzz_compression.jpg

Is side-chain-with-beats this year's buffer override ?

hahathhat: Actually your use is pretty restrained I was more getting at stuff were when the drums kick in you feel like your speakers have broken. Aghh I wish I can find an example now, basically what's going on with the vocals here but applied to the whole track:

But isn't this part of how :nyan: "chillwave artists" :nyan: hide their obvious lack of talent and creativity? Where would underground music be today without it? UH OH

Guest kineaesth

BSkqw.jpg

Guys it's okay, the huge compression is just to make it sound NATURAL, like a heartbeating

I think this genre is called sidechain-core or sidechainwave

that would've been a nice track if it didn't sound like shit.

Dear Pete. There are different settings on a sidechaining compressor. I find it to be tasty in moderation, useful for strange FX, and a great tool to prevent mud.

Ohooooh no, the use of side-chain compression is fine - hell I use it myself ! I was referring to the current trend (and I suspect it'll be just that, a trend) where everyone and their dog finish off their mix by just doing this :

buzz_compression.jpg

Is side-chain-with-beats this year's buffer override ?

hahathhat: Actually your use is pretty restrained I was more getting at stuff were when the drums kick in you feel like your speakers have broken. Aghh I wish I can find an example now, basically what's going on with the vocals here but applied to the whole track:

try posting up any flying lotus song, biggest abuser of them all short of Mr. Truise

Okay, nm, that's not quite what I did with this track, though it's similar. That would be annoying if I heard it a lot, but that Baths track is the first one I've heard that takes it to quite that extreme... and so I find it kind of interesting to listen to. Is this a really common trend right now?

Archived