IGNORED

Early Drexciya catalogue re-issue

Berk

otherwise, someone has listened Unknow Journey V? where can i find it? Thanks! ;-)

Ok, nobody can't help me or there is not Unknow Journey V... 'cause i don't find it anywhere... even on discogs...

I am assuming it's either Flying Fish (the first previously unreleased tune that has a proper title + it's the first unreleased tune appearing on the compilation after Unknown Journey IV) or it's reserved for a special release still in the works. Who knows!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

otherwise, someone has listened Unknow Journey V? where can i find it? Thanks! ;-)

Ok, nobody can't help me or there is not Unknow Journey V... 'cause i don't find it anywhere... even on discogs...

I am assuming it's either Flying Fish (the first previously unreleased tune that has a proper title + it's the first unreleased tune appearing on the compilation after Unknown Journey IV) or it's reserved for a special release still in the works. Who knows!

Well, I do not think it's this unique Flying Fish (seen the order given on the CD and on the vinyl). But I think it exists under a different name but between Unknown Journey IV and VI, since all these Unknown Journey are put in order in these four compilations... and the Unknown Journey XI is in this new EP released no long... but again, the order given on the CD is different than the vinyl version... so, we can therefore think that it's an oversight...

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Way too quiet on this front... Still waiting on a few much needed reissues (Grava 4 and The Other People Place album on 2LP please).

There did was something this year though, another L.A.M. - Balance of Terror reissue as well as Zwischenwelt, but it seems like this market is a bit saturated maybe? 

• 3 months later...

Way too quiet on this front... Still waiting on a few much needed reissues (Grava 4 and The Other People Place album on 2LP please).

There did was something this year though, another L.A.M. - Balance of Terror reissue as well as Zwischenwelt, but it seems like this market is a bit saturated maybe? 

https://bleep.com/release/6676-the-other-people-place-lifestyles-of-the-laptop-caf

In case you missed it...

https://bleep.com/release/6676-the-other-people-place-lifestyles-of-the-laptop-caf

In case you missed it...

Pre-ordered instantly that one, yes!

Also, more great news, Grava 4 will be reissued on Clone!! All my dreams came true!

In case you missed it...

Pre-ordered instantly that one, yes!

Also, more great news, Grava 4 will be reissued on Clone!! All my dreams came true!

Yeah, just saw the other thread... But better safe than sorry... Can't wait for Grava 4! Clone does a good job with all the Drexciya stuff.

Really happy about the Grava 4 news, certainly the deepest and most sombre of the Drexciya records, made even more so by it's position as the final one. Been wanting it for a long time, it seemed to be unavailable or very expensive quite shortly after the initial release. Can't wait to finally get my hands on the wax and give it a proper re-appraisal.

I too would love an Abstract Thought repress (and a Transllusion - L.I.F.E. one too) cause they are some my personal favorites of the storms but they seem unlikely in the near future due to the rights issues involving defunct labels.

It's more likely we'll see Lab Rat XL or Shifted Phases represses instead at some point as Clone and Tresor are pretty interested in cultivating the Drexciya legacy. Even more likely we'll see an Elektroids repress before all of them because of the higher profile of the project and the more commercial (i.e. slightly less weird) nature of the music.  

Really happy about the Grava 4 news, certainly the deepest and most sombre of the Drexciya records, made even more so by it's position as the final one. Been wanting it for a long time, it seemed to be unavailable or very expensive quite shortly after the initial release. Can't wait to finally get my hands on the wax and give it a proper re-appraisal.

I too would love an Abstract Thought repress (and a Transllusion - L.I.F.E. one too) cause they are some my personal favorites of the storms but they seem unlikely in the near future due to the rights issues involving defunct labels.

It's more likely we'll see Lab Rat XL or Shifted Phases represses instead at some point as Clone and Tresor are pretty interested in cultivating the Drexciya legacy. Even more likely we'll see an Elektroids repress before all of them because of the higher profile of the project and the more commercial (i.e. slightly less weird) nature of the music.  

+1

Except L.I.F.E., which I happened to buy as leftover stock for like 12 bucks just a few years ago... Bought Shifted Phases on CD years ago but would love that and Abstract Thought on vinyl too. I have all faith in Clone repressing Lab Rat XL, Electroids might be tricky? Abstract Thought will be even more tricky because of the label they put it out on initially, outside of the Tresor / Clone / Warp reissue plan?

We're definitely getting closer to completing the Drexciya collection... 

+1

Except L.I.F.E., which I happened to buy as leftover stock for like 12 bucks just a few years ago... Bought Shifted Phases on CD years ago but would love that and Abstract Thought on vinyl too. I have all faith in Clone repressing Lab Rat XL, Electroids might be tricky? Abstract Thought will be even more tricky because of the label they put it out on initially, outside of the Tresor / Clone / Warp reissue plan?

I have a hope that if The Other People Place repress sells well enough, Warp will be interested in following it up with the Elecktroids album seeing as they put out both releases originally. It seems more marketable and well-known with the iconic yellow artwork/Kraftwerk-spoof angle. Well compared to something like the Abstract Thought album which is just about one of the weirdest concept albums ever.

In the end it will be a numbers game whether it is worth Clone obtaining the rights from Kombination Research (who are still active btw, just digital only now) and Stinson's family (?) for those more obscure out-of-print albums and whether they are gonna recoup the money in sales. L.I.F.E. is really dirty and raw, and Hypothetical Situations is pretty obtuse but manages to hit a sweet spot in between a few different styles.

I've got Lab Rat XL and Shifted Phases on CD too, but would welcome vinyl with open arms. Lab Rat XL in particular is probably my least favorite of the storms but thats partly due to lack of context about the project, something which always helped deepen the mystery...

Thats what I love about the Drexciya universe, the additional material which helped place pretty rigid music in a completely different context. It's somewhat of a cheap trick (taken from the likes of Sun Ra and George Clinton) but after the initial sci-fi goofiness the Storm series (and later on Donald's solo work) really managed to tie the music to some pretty far out concepts which make you feel as if some cosmic epiphany is about to be revealed before you.. just as the track ends in a puff of smoke and you're left scratching your head and a feeling you've been hoodwinked in the best possible way. Big props got to the drexciya research lab guy for putting the hours in on this stuff as well.

+1

I have a hope that if The Other People Place repress sells well enough, Warp will be interested in following it up with the Elecktroids album seeing as they put out both releases originally. It seems more marketable and well-known with the iconic yellow artwork/Kraftwerk-spoof angle. Well compared to something like the Abstract Thought album which is just about one of the weirdest concept albums ever.

In the end it will be a numbers game whether it is worth Clone obtaining the rights from Kombination Research (who are still active btw, just digital only now) and Stinson's family (?) for those more obscure out-of-print albums and whether they are gonna recoup the money in sales. L.I.F.E. is really dirty and raw, and Hypothetical Situations is pretty obtuse but manages to hit a sweet spot in between a few different styles.

I've got Lab Rat XL and Shifted Phases on CD too, but would welcome vinyl with open arms. Lab Rat XL in particular is probably my least favorite of the storms but thats partly due to lack of context about the project, something which always helped deepen the mystery...

Thats what I love about the Drexciya universe, the additional material which helped place pretty rigid music in a completely different context. It's somewhat of a cheap trick (taken from the likes of Sun Ra and George Clinton) but after the initial sci-fi goofiness the Storm series (and later on Donald's solo work) really managed to tie the music to some pretty far out concepts which make you feel as if some cosmic epiphany is about to be revealed before you.. just as the track ends in a puff of smoke and you're left scratching your head and a feeling you've been hoodwinked in the best possible way. Big props got to the drexciya research lab guy for putting the hours in on this stuff as well.

Definitely, that guy is doing an amazing job.

Wasn't Lab Rat XL's concept never revealed because of the untimely death of Stinson? Hence the lack of artwork, titles and the concept? I agree, the ideas were incredibly engaging and a great accompaniment to the music. I absolutely love Lab Rat XL though, one of the best.

I'm definitely not worried anymore about these releases, they're already so well underway with this whole reissue project.. More importantly, what will happen to the "nice stockpile" Stinson said he had left for when he would pass away (in an interview months before his actual death)? I don't dare imagine what's still in that archive...

Just put on Shifted Phases again, Implosive Regions still punches me to the floor after all those years. So fucking powerful, ugh.

Wasn't Lab Rat XL's concept never revealed because of the untimely death of Stinson? Hence the lack of artwork, titles and the concept? I agree, the ideas were incredibly engaging and a great accompaniment to the music. I absolutely love Lab Rat XL though, one of the best.

I'm definitely not worried anymore about these releases, they're already so well underway with this whole reissue project.. More importantly, what will happen to the "nice stockpile" Stinson said he had left for when he would pass away (in an interview months before his actual death)? I don't dare imagine what's still in that archive...

Just put on Shifted Phases again, Implosive Regions still punches me to the floor after all those years. So fucking powerful, ugh.

Yes thats right, we've only got the artist and album title which is a vague suggestion towards invasive medical procedures, which give it a kind of sad tinge knowing what happened. We don't know that Stinson knew he was dying when he made these tracks, they seem fairly energetic and upbeat. Maybe the track names would have continued in a medical vein, some of the bleeping and fizzing percussion is reminiscent of medical equipment/surgery sounds. i say it's my least favourite but that's only because its an embarrassment of riches with the others, track 3 is a top 10 Stinson track for sure.

I try not to think about any potential unreleased stuff ever coming out. I loved the little off-cuts what we got on the Deep Sea Dweller Series, anything else would be a bonus. If any did come out, it would not be organised/presented by the man himself and we'd get a bunch of minimally-presented, questionably organised untitled tracks like the J. Dilla posthumous stuff and it would kind of spoil it a little bit. But i'd still totally jump on that shit. 

Just jetpacked in to say labrat xl is da shit, happy that I saved it for last as I don't think it would've clicked before I larry'd (heard) the other storms

Thats what I love about the Drexciya universe, the additional material which helped place pretty rigid music in a completely different context. It's somewhat of a cheap trick (taken from the likes of Sun Ra and George Clinton) but after the initial sci-fi goofiness the Storm series (and later on Donald's solo work) really managed to tie the music to some pretty far out concepts which make you feel as if some cosmic epiphany is about to be revealed before you.. just as the track ends in a puff of smoke and you're left scratching your head and a feeling you've been hoodwinked in the best possible way.

Spot on m7

• 8 months later...

Archived