IGNORED

Diablo 3

gaarg

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll move from my current place at the beginning of May and after that I won't have time to play for at least a few months. Pretty hard to admit it but no Diablo III for me when it will be released.

I still remember my 12-years-old-me crawling under the opening iron curtain of my video game store the morning Diablo II came out.

Guest couch

I want to play this so bad, gotta upgrade my 6 year old computer that was behind the times when I built it too.

:l

I didn't experience Diablo 2 in its heyday, can anyone explain what was great about itt? I tried playing through the campaign recently and kind of got bored with it. Is/was it more of a multiplayer game? The singleplayer gameplay was pretty mindless IMO, just clicking on mobs without any danger of dying and getting some random loot, selling it, repeat ad nauseam. Did the MP change the gameplay or something, even with other people doesn't really seem very compelling.

Guest underscore

I didn't experience Diablo 2 in its heyday, can anyone explain what was great about itt? I tried playing through the campaign recently and kind of got bored with it. Is/was it more of a multiplayer game? The singleplayer gameplay was pretty mindless IMO, just clicking on mobs without any danger of dying and getting some random loot, selling it, repeat ad nauseam. Did the MP change the gameplay or something, even with other people doesn't really seem very compelling.

yeah, for me the most fun part is playing with other people. especially if you were grouped with seven friends (four player limit in D3 :sad:.) we'd normally just make/rush new chars and grind levels on ones we really liked or farm stuff on a sorc solo

I don't think the MP is a lot above the SP. Basically Diablo is about smashing monsters and getting the good loot. You say you didn't feel any difficulty, that's probably because you didn't go very far in the game, because it can become very tricky in nightmare and hell levels.

Also, when you start to know the game well, you develop some kind of intuition to know which items will make you earn a lot of money so filling your inventory becomes a little game on its own.

But still this game is very basic. It's all about the satisfaction you have when you kill monsters (there's something in the animations and the sounds of a monster being hit by your big and long weapon that makes you feel you're trully the king of the big balls lol), and the rewarding you feel when you find or create a good piece of equipment. It's not a complicated game at all (but once again it can be very hard in the long run).

• 1 month later...

my fondest memories are of diablo 1.. that was back in the days of my deepest pc gaming nostalgia, when all my time went to half life, diablo, and roller coaster tycoon. for its time, diablo 1 had such a great visual style and the gameplay really felt rewarding and fun. it was the ultimate dungeon crawl. i still remember when i had just gotten the game and i was starting down into the dungeons. when i first encountered the butcher i knew that this game was going to be something special. multiplayer was a lot of fun too, of course. it was probably the first online multiplayer experience i really got into.

diablo 2 was great, and i played it extensively for a while, but 1 is what really makes me nostalgic.

anyway i don't have a computer nearly good enough to run new games so i will probably not play diablo 3. i keep wanting to get back into computer games but i'm poor and i spend any money i have on music-related stuff.

the diablo 3 beta is free for all from now until monday.

:diablo: I know that I won't be able to play it when it'll be released so these are very good news

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

After playing the Beta for a while... I could not be much more underwhelmed. I disagree with early all of things that they simplified and what they didn't evolve. They should have made the gameplay way more deep but instead they made most of it all way boringly, arcade, thoughtless simplified. Everything I've seen of Diablo 3 on now in hindsight does not give me any expectation that it would be worth $20, let alone $60.

This game has been in development for a long while by such a big well respect developer yet... they seem to have done such a horrible job on the network code and general engine optimization. I can't believe it was freezed out locking up for up to 6 seconds for all my friends with super high end computers in every different game I played. Nothing they have done with the graphics or gameplay remotely explains why it wouldn't play super smoothly on dramatically less desirable conditions. Embarrassing.

After playing the Beta for a while... I could not be much more underwhelmed. I disagree with early all of things that they simplified and what they didn't evolve. They should have made the gameplay way more deep but instead they made most of it all way boringly, arcade, thoughtless simplified. Everything I've seen of Diablo 3 on now in hindsight does not give me any expectation that it would be worth $20, let alone $60.

RE the simplification.... They did a similar thing to Skyrim vs older elder scrolls games.

I think they do this to reach a more broad audience? But it obviously comes at the expense of alienating fans loyal to the franchise/previous games like myself (and I get the impression you as well..?).

It's frustrating but it seems that the whole industry is doing this. Even the final fantasy series are so linear now, making it too easy.

I am disappointed to hear that Diablo 3 has gone the same way. =(

I had fun too. The action is very visceral, art direction is great and Blizzard knows good game design.

But I do agree that it's very strange that there's no specing involved anymore. Good for casual players because you only need one character to get all the skills, but these kind of games are dumbed down enough as it is. I'm not so sure taking away that part of the game is a good idea. I played Titan Quest with a friend a while back and loved picking skills, putting points into them and noticing the results of your decision making. You can even combine multiple classes by unlocking multiple skill trees in that game. In Diablo, every character within a class will have the same set of skills and even the same base stats. Seems lame.

Fuck your passive aggressive anonymously quoted sarcasm, it was completely locking into one frame for 6 seconds every two or three minutes on average for me and my buddies with high end gaming machines that all should be getting less than 50 ping each together... I can't think of any game I've played in the last 5 years that's done anything that bad. This is a fucking Blizzard title, they are highly respected to be the bomb and indie titled that are made for less than a thousand dollars ain't doing that shit. You see my point dingus?

lol

Archived