IGNORED

what happened to my attn: MDG thread?

Alzado

I'm confused.. Does anyone here actually think a Boards of Canada album needs advertising? If MDG had never posted a single word, wouldn't the record sell the EXACT same number of copies, if or when it comes out? Regardless of what anyone thinks of this character, I don't think he was really "advertising". He may have just been making an attempt at fucking with us at worst, and at best, trying to tell us what he knew.

we do not need advertising as we are the early adopters but the release will. this is how it works: (skyrim is a similar product as there was a very successful product before like it is with boc)

Woohoo! It is definitely a marketing tool! Advertisements are designed to mount with pressure, making consumers feel as though they need to buy a product. Think of Skyrim as a great example of marketing strategy. They come up with a date that's easily memorable. Upon announcement of the game, people with pre-investment in the series get very excited. In the industry, this is your built-in audience. Built-in audiences are great because they go on to become user-evangelists and spread the gossipy gospel of your game. Reporters, given they liked the prior installments, do a great job of this.

Okay, so you have reporters and people talking about a game. Now what happens. Well, as a company, you mount more pressure. Not full-on public ads yet, that needs to wait til your built-in and your sub-sect audience are ready to evangelize upon brand-recognition. So, you need to get them stoked by using countdowns. Countdowns are god's gift to marketing. The date 11-11-11 is no coincidence. They knew everyone would remember that. So that harkened as their branding method. Not an image so much as a date.

So now people are talking inside the gaming community, they know the date, they see parts of it. Next step: going public. There are lots of ways to do this and this is where a lot of marketing groups mess up. You want to both tend to those who already know the basis for your ads while at the same time, subtly catering to those who might not know. It's like you're still with your girlfriend and flirting with the waitress. You have to be careful. If you're too outright with the waitress, your girlfriend will feel betrayed. If you're too protective with your girlfriend, the waitress won't remember you after you leave. Gaming companies are always given weird options here. Most commonly, they opt to use rendered real-life footage that matches the style of the game to not alienate the viewers.

Alright, so people know the game now. What's next? Well, you nailed it: HYPE TIME. Go viral with all your shit. Pound that date into their heads, step up ad-time by ten times. Make everything everywhere about Skyrim. People who wouldn't give a rat's ass normally suddenly find themselves obsessed with it as the evangelists go crazy because they've been receiving their Skyrim-manna from heaven.

And that's why there's so much hype. As the years go on, marketing gets more and more effective at recognizing human trends. Is it okay to stay home from work to play a game? Meh, probably not. But do we from marketing want you to feel like it? Absolutely. Your enthusiasm is nothing short of justified. So get out there, kiddo, and pay us your moneys.

TL;DR: Marketing departments are out there with the goal of making you need something.

My theory, is that after Campfire, they stopped working on music for a while.. say, like 4 years. Then, they started working on another album, and they're perfectionists, so it's just going to take them a while.. To the FANS, this seems like an eternity. But I think there will be a new album.

yeah I just witnessed one of my favorite authors publish a book early because the label put pressure on him as he said he was not finished yet. the release is a pure disaster while all books before where epic. so yeah they should take as long as they take.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of what anyone thinks of this character, I don't think he was really "advertising". He may have just been making an attempt at fucking with us at worst, and at best, trying to tell us what he knew.

raising awareness of an 'impending release' sounds exactly like advertising to me, advertising being defined as publicity. doesn't matter whether it's aimed at a particular niche group or not, it's still publicity.

This guy rarely posts. If publicity is the same as advertising, then aren't we ALL doing just that? I don't really think so. Publicity, and advertising are two different things. I don't think BOC are worried about sales. At all.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of this character, I don't think he was really "advertising". He may have just been making an attempt at fucking with us at worst, and at best, trying to tell us what he knew.

raising awareness of an 'impending release' sounds exactly like advertising to me, advertising being defined as publicity. doesn't matter whether it's aimed at a particular niche group or not, it's still publicity.

This guy rarely posts. If publicity is the same as advertising, then aren't we ALL doing just that? I don't really think so. Publicity, and advertising are two different things. I don't think BOC are worried about sales. At all.

no.

but you are right about one thing - Boards of Canada aren't worried about sales. Obviously...

no.

but you are right about one thing - Boards of Canada aren't worried about sales. Obviously...

you replied "no" after putting just PART of my statement in bold print. After I said "aren't we all doing just that?" (which you chose to highlight in bold print) I went on to say "I don't really think so". Meaning that I don't think we are advertising.

I just don't want to be miss quoted. You are actually agreeing with my statement by replying with "no" ..if you read my full statement, what I said was:

"If publicity is the same as advertising, then aren't we ALL doing just that? I don't really think so."

Advertising is synonymous with Publicity.

So, MDG is advertising Boards of Canada, in definitely one of the few place where Boards of Canada would NEVER need advertising... A Boards of Canada forum.

*scratches head*

Advertising is synonymous with Publicity.

So, MDG is advertising Boards of Canada, in definitely one of the few place where Boards of Canada would NEVER need advertising... A Boards of Canada forum.

*scratches head*

indeed. i think it's silly too.

so to sum up, we are pissed that no one updates us on boc, but then when someone updated us on boc it is wrong because he updated us with an update that hasn't come to fruition yet because of things they didn't want to happen. amirite?

let us just rest assured that there is new boc on the way. and when it gets here, it will be ear sex. every disc of the new release will be really good to really great. have confidence and have patience. it will be worth it. of this, i am positive.

i just can't wait for everyone to initially hate it. I feel sorry for these artists who don't release anything for ages and ages and the expectation becomes so great that it seems like ANYTHING isn't good enough or isn't like the old stuff or quite good. I would hate to be BoC in this position, with the weight of years of anticipation building and building and building.

yikes.

yeah this is totally going to be like Chinese Democracy

yeah imagine they had some new album ready with vocals and stuff and everybody at warp said "NO WAY THIS IS AWFUL" and send them back to bunker lol. "reasons out of the bands control" lol

yeah this is totally going to be like Chinese Democracy

yeah imagine they had some new album ready with vocals and stuff and everybody at warp said "NO WAY THIS IS AWFUL" and send them back to bunker lol. "reasons out of the bands control" lol

If they do something that stupid, they should go back to the bunker.

Everyone asks 'why no BoC update?'

MDG say's 'it's in the works, there's been a few hiccups..'

Everyone calls him a lying cunt, a fraud, a bullshitter.

MDG quite rightly does a bunk and thinks 'fuck you watmm'

Everyone asks 'why no BoC update?

Joyrex adopts damage limitation mode to quell the uprising. Everyone calls him a bullshitter and clueless.

Joyrex quite rightly does a bunk and thinks 'fuck this, you lot are doing my head in'

Well boys and girls all we have now is the magic bleep newsletter to look forward too. As anybody relliable(okay 2 is not many) has been abused and scorned.

'Why no BoC update?.............................................................

because dates (at least years) were mentioned as being definitive, and instead of coming back to say "actually the record isn't coming out this year because blah blah blah" it was just left in the air.

way to leave out pertinent info.

because dates (at least years) were mentioned as being definitive, and instead of coming back to say "actually the record isn't coming out this year because blah blah blah" it was just left in the air.

way to leave out pertinent info.

None of mdg's statements contained one single date, or even a vague time frame - prove me wrong, I'd love to see that.

Ah, I stand corrected - I don't visit Twoism, so I didn't see that post. Well, I'm sure at the time he stated that, it was true, but obviously something happened. As you mentioned, it would have been nice to have been told "yeah, we were hoping it would be out in 2010, but events conspired against us yet again, etc." - I'm not aware of any followups beyond this, so who knows if he did or not.

Ah, I stand corrected - I don't visit Twoism, so I didn't see that post. Well, I'm sure at the time he stated that, it was true, but obviously something happened. As you mentioned, it would have been nice to have been told "yeah, we were hoping it would be out in 2010, but events conspired against us yet again, etc." - I'm not aware of any followups beyond this, so who knows if he did or not.

nope, no follow-up statements made regarding this one.

for what it's worth, the way i see it is: if you're gonna give out such information like this, then when something happens to make it not so, then you kinda should come back to say "look guys, it's not happening."

of course, he'd still get rebuttals, but it'd look a hell of a lot better.

and also, for what it's worth, i don't think such information should ever have been divulged. but that's just me.

My post was supposed to be tounge in cheek with a vein of truth, not 100% pure fact. I rarely am dead serious round these parts.

Though I believe that Warp should buy Joyrex a nice bottle of malt whiskey at Christmas for doing a PR job on their behalf.

Archived