IGNORED

Occupy Oakland confronted with tear gas

awepittance

this is just my point of view, but i think we're at the point, as a country and a world, where things have gotten bad enough that it just cant continue as status quo... sometimes i think its almost like we're dealing with forces within nature now and not political parties, policies or individuals.. 2012!!! (kidding)

but then again maybe im just being melodramatic and new agey... either way, its an interesting, exciting, if uncertain time to be alive...

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know about the whole thing that started bank transfer day. BoA was going to start a $5/month charge on debit cards. They have since retracted it. Bank transfer day is the one thing out of this I can fully get behind, because it's pure capitalism. If we are not satisfied with a service, we stop giving our money to it. The banks have two options, either fix themselves, or lose business and inevitably shrink. The best thing we can get out of this movement is learning to live within our means, and maybe we can take down Chase along the way.

sometimes i think its almost like we're dealing with forces within nature now and not political parties, policies or individuals..

you say that like they're two different things, but i fully get and appreciate what you mean, and i think you're right

Yeah, that's my point. It bugs me because Gregor Robinson is going to use it as a pretext for fucking up the otherwise peaceful protest. And the civic election just means all of the politicians are being bigger assholes than usual.

Also there was a previous overdose on Thursday but the guy didn't die. Also the chick who did die was homeless.

Occupy Vancouver is having their tent city removed. Some chick apparently overdosed. In vancouver.

Shocking.

Yeah, even i know that vancouver is famous for having a smackhead problem. And i live in australia

They'll just have to re-occupy.

2 cities in oz have cleared their occupiers, but brisbane seems to just move them on, only to have them coalesce in another park or square. Kudos for not being as violent as the conservative governments of NSW and Victoria. It's perhaps because the labour government has a knife edge election coming up and they don't want to alienate part of their electorate. Not that it matters, as green preferences go to labour anyway. -sie-.

Guest disparaissant

i hear the vancouver people are saying they wont move. oh jeez another junkie died go figure, you have all the cops harassing us instead of actually doing a decent job curtailing the flow of heroin or whatever.

so that'll be fun.

hopefully they BREAK STUFF.

im sorry but im completely sick of this cynical viewpoint that protesting cant change things. this shit is only two months old and its already helped to create a world wide dialogue in mainstream and non mainstream media. that alone is an accomplishment. theres still the tenancy to think that thousands of people coming together in one place is just a big show and accomplishes nothing but youre wrong. this wouldnt even be a topic on this message board had it not happened. have a little respect for the people sleeping in the streets. realize that this shit will not happen over night and try to think about what you have in common with people protesting and not what your differences with them are. of course this has happened in other parts of the world, with more people and with more risks to their safety, but that should be an inspiration, not a detriment.

OFT! you new agey fag

The thing the mainstream media uses to paint the movement negatively, that it doesn't have one single cohesive message actually works to it's strength and makes it something bigger than the war protests.

While you are right that protestors were in greater numbers, the only port shutdown attempt i know of also happened during an Oakland anti iraq war protest, and i believe someone was almost killed by a rubber bullet. The shutdown in other words was not successful like it was on 11-2-11

Seeing all those people climbing over trucks and making human chains blocking the trucks is something i will never forget.

The undercurrent of the 99% phenomenon i think includes a lot of the anti war anger, the lies about WMDs, the unsettling lingering questions people still have about 9/11, the fact that elites in this country are immune to the justice system while the justice system imposed on the 99.9% is more draconion than ever, we have the highest incarceration rate in the world, all of this undercurrent of resentment all happening during a looming economic crisis. The Iraq war created a few temporary well organized huge protests with a lot of money being funneled in by the democratic party (back then they wanted to take Bush down and the anti war movement was a perfect place to dovetail into). This movement has sprung out of a slowly building powerless feeling that our democratic process at least on a federal level is broken. I think it's a message almost every American can relate to on some level, which is why i have optimism about what the future holds for it.

OFT!

ahhh how I love the word draconian.....

I have optimism about this movement as well because it feels like the right time for this to happen and it is going to get bigger. It started in Africa, then NYC and now all over the world. It will get so big that, hopefully, corporations will have to change their policy and not be able to legally sway anything that happens in the legislature process within the US or any other country.

guy who's filming cops shot by a rubber bullet for filming after he asks 'is this ok' and gets no answer

i was right behind a crowd of about 40 people when this happened but didn't realize that's what was going on at the time, i just heard someone scream 'he shot me' , well now i know, thanks to the internet

i guess the one positive thing you could say about these confrontations is that it makes some of these bad cops show their true face.

this fuckhead who shot the rubber bullet, that assclown who threw the flash bang grenade at the people trying to help the wounded marine in Oakland, and that asshole who pepper sprayed those girls in New York - all should be off the force and facing charges right now looking at some serious jail time. most likely wont happen tho and that is outrageous.

but i still think it is a better idea to just pull back when the cops roll up in their riot gear like that... then the cops leave... then you just come back the next day like before. but whenever you go toe to toe and each side starts getting fired up, crap like this starts to happen and the protestors will always end up getting the worse of it.

i hear the vancouver people are saying they wont move. oh jeez another junkie died go figure, you have all the cops harassing us instead of actually doing a decent job curtailing the flow of heroin or whatever.

so that'll be fun.

hopefully they BREAK STUFF.

I hope they don't break shit, because taxpayer dollars go to fix that up in a lot of cases. Personally, the Occupy movement here is quite lame, it's just a mish-mash of various groups like i posted in the other thread (wea re the foundation).

That's not a serious answer is it? About the cops doing something to stem the flow of heroin? Two things - the war on drugs is a huge failure. They would be better off spending the resources they're spending (providing porta potties and so on) on the Occupy protestors on drug services like needle exchanges. Secondly the police are not harassing anyone in the Vancouver occupy tent city.

I have optimism about this movement as well because it feels like the right time for this to happen and it is going to get bigger. It started in Africa, then NYC and now all over the world. It will get so big that, hopefully, corporations will have to change their policy and not be able to legally sway anything that happens in the legislature process within the US or any other country.

I'm sorry, but to compare what the people in Africa went through to what these occupy movements are doing is to do a huge disservice to the African rebellions.

guy who's filming cops shot by a rubber bullet for filming after he asks 'is this ok' and gets no answer

i was right behind a crowd of about 40 people when this happened but didn't realize that's what was going on at the time, i just heard someone scream 'he shot me' , well now i know, thanks to the internet

woah! so blatant, i thought the tear gas guy was bad

Guest disparaissant

That's not a serious answer is it?

nope

honestly? i'm worn out. i don't see these protests going anywhere because i'm a jaded cunt.

did this get posted yet? more abuse of authority from the oakland police department.. fucking cocksuckers

from the san jose mercury news-

Geoffrey Alpert, a University of South Carolina criminal justice professor who's an expert in police decision-making and use of force, said the video left him "astonished, amazed and embarrassed."

"Unless there's something we don't know, that's one of the most outrageous uses of a firearm that I've ever seen," he said. "Unless there's a threat that you can't see in the video, that just looks like absolute punishment, which is the worst type of excessive force."

same page ^awep posted it.

Tomorrow there is a walkout at UC Berkeley related to occupy events as well as impending 81% tuition hike over next couple of years

http://reclaimuc.blogspot.com/2011/10/request-for-support-from-occupy-cal.html

the first walkout that we had in 2009 was really big because of the unions on campus being involved but they haven't been as large for the last 2...we will see how big tomorrow's is

Archived