IGNORED

Scorn / Mick Harris tribute thread

awepittance

I was digging through the basement the other day and found the Scorn poster from their 1992 Norwegian tour with Cadaver, signed by all three members of both bands.

Cadaver%20Scorn.jpg

Cool story, how were the Immortal guys weird, other then just drunk? Wasn't it their cup of tea so to speak?

I don't think they came to the show even, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't their cup of tea. They were very introvert, theatric, had that whole "elite" and dramatic BM pose going already back then, and in private as well.

I caught Scorn again in 1994 when James Plotkin was in the band. At that time Mick had stopped being on stage, he was standing in the mixer's booth next to the engineer while Nic and James were on stage. I think James was sitting, and I remember Nic's graphical EQ on his bass amp formed a straight line from the boosted bass frequencies to the attenuated treble.

Edited by psn

that's awesome, you're lucky you got to see Scorn live. The only time i had an opportunity was for an Invisible Records tour back in '98. He was supposed to play right after Not Breathing, and instead of Mick coming on stage it was a leather-jacket spiked haired Martin Atkins who then announced that Mick's wife just gave birth and he was taking the next flight back to England.

• 4 months later...

thanks for posting that. I wonder if any video exists of his earlier live shows where he would switch off with someone else playing live dubbed out drums to sampler loops. this would be back around 1995-1998

Edited by John Ehrlichman

• 10 years later...

Time to revive this thread. It's pretty hard to keep up to date with his multiple projects, just discovered that he released a Fret album in late 2022

He regularly publishes new music on his bandcamp

2022 Lull album

He was talking about a project with Shane Embury and Justin Broadrick, this should be good...

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Not heard this guy's stuff before, beyond what he did on the early Napalm Death records.  Some good stuff, going for a deep dive.  

the early Scorn records when Nik was still around are something else. they scratch an itch few other sounds can. dub metal or something.

On 1/17/2024 at 4:39 AM, ignatius said:

he's been wearing a wig and burning stuff on his IG .. trashing people and labels or something. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2KqTIpCL3-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

what happened, why's he bashing Ohm Resistance? his last 3 Scorn LPs have been with them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 10:32 AM, usagi said:

the early Scorn records when Nik was still around are something else. they scratch an itch few other sounds can. dub metal or something.

what happened, why's he bashing Ohm Resistance? his last 3 Scorn LPs have been with them.

Yes early Scorn is quite different from the later solo stuff, Evanescence is such a classic album !

Don't know what's up with Ohm Resistance but he has an ongoing beef with sleaford mods and the whole "press the button and do the cunt dance" thing is hilarious IMO

Edited by d-a-m-o

Good god he really needs to get off Twitter.  I always pictured Mick Harris as some sage-like bearded mystic, too absorbed in the resonance and distortion on his snare sound to be bothered with worldly affairs.  Instead here he is all-caps ranting about vegans, dole scroungers and 'the woke', interspersed with pictures of his unappetising barbeque creations.

• Like 1

Yes, the occasional rants about modular/vegan/analog were fun a few years back but he's posting 24/7 about it nowadays, I mean I don't give a fuck about that sleaford mods cunt but it's a bit sad to see a 56 years old man wasting time with such things...

edit : yeah ok just checked his X account, he needs help...

Edited by d-a-m-o

I was going to shout out how overlooked his drumfunk/jungle project Quoit is but damn... sad to see someone who's made such great music and with such a radical bent go this way

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

all that bullshit aside... I wonder if any sample-spotters can say where the sample in the track Channel (off the Plan B album) comes from? the one of the guy saying "I don't care what anyone thinks of me, I know what I am, I know who I am, and I know what I do, and I can assure you, whatever I do, I do it better than you do it"

guessing it must be obscure.