IGNORED

another stupid dubstep question

jules

so i am horrible with genre tags and all but are burial and skrillex really considered to be in the same category? i couldn't imagine them being more opposite. please enlighten me.

so i am horrible with genre tags and all but are burial and skrillex really considered to be in the same category? i couldn't imagine them being more opposite. please enlighten me.

Just don't think about it, aphex twin and david ghuetta are in the same category like techno

ultimately skrillex is basically just electro pop, but it's dubstep just because it evolved from brostep, which is a sub-genre of dubstep, which of course started out being a lot more subtle and burial-y

edit: but yeah, I totally agree with them being opposites. dubstep is hitchcock and skrillex is "epic movie"

lol brostep is a real category? wat? wtf is post brostep going to be...

I mean, brostep isn't a proper category of dubstep IMO, but it's like, the same sort of evolution as hardcore -> speedcore or happy hardcore. There's always people who will want to take genres and make them as hard and macho as they can (or in the case of ridiculous bullshit like borgore, as stupid as they can make the genre.)

LOL Atop... I found this comment in the DMZ Video you posted:

wtf is everyone talking about, skrillex is proper dubstep, been around in america for like 3 years, way before it got to you english

wtf is everyone talking about, skrillex is proper dubstep, been around in america for like 3 years, way before it got to you english

The internet is THE ultimate wealth of knowledge to ever exist. Of course not many people (Americans) would take advantage of the immense possibilities behind positively using such a vast vault of information. Instead, most of us become self-indulgent drooling mouth breathers. Yay humanity! Pat yourselves on the back! Vex'd, Scorn, Coki were around years before Scablicks, making better more interesting heavy two step. Youtube comments are the creations of Satan.

The internet is THE ultimate wealth of knowledge to ever exist. Of course not many people (Americans) would take advantage of the immense possibilities behind positively using such a vast vault of information. Instead, most of us become self-indulgent drooling mouth breathers. Yay humanity! Pat yourselves on the back! Vex'd, Scorn, Coki were around years before Scablicks, making better more interesting heavy two step. Youtube comments are the creations of Satan.

It's bad with all comments. Even NPR gets trolled. I've seen comments on reddit's dubstep page outshouted by snarky yet inaccurate comments. I suppose people get off when their comments are liked, and they'll wax whatever irrational bullshit they can in order to do so. I actually kept responding on a friends linked article today because one person kept saying the same falsehood over and over again. I was literally posting quotes of the article and writing "just read the damn article!" Eventually they backed down. Remember when Palin mispoke about Paul Revere? People kept editing wikipedia to match her "interpretation." Eventually the page was locked. Once or twice I've had comments deleted by relatives for simply writing a correction. People have always been stupid, they're just louder, more arrogant, and seemingly more "accepted" than ever before. I just hope expert opinions and general academic standards become more standard soon (remember encyclopedias and sourced, articles published by non-bias news outlets?), I just don't know when that will happen. Until then, using knowledge, rationality and acknowledging gray areas will isn't going to be too popular. You know, because those things make you a elitist, left-wing, east or west coast-dwelling shitbag or something.

Oh well, at least you can counter-troll for lolz and to maintain sanity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biqn8cYRohU

They are in a broad sense, like if "dubstep" is now as broad as "house" or "dnb," with the bpm of 140/70 as the only real constant. maybe the drops (which again are completely opposite approaches) if you're comparing Skream with Skrillex for instance. I'd personally lump Skrillex as EDM and Burial as Dubstep.

ultimately skrillex is basically just electro pop, but it's dubstep just because it evolved from brostep, which is a sub-genre of dubstep, which of course started out being a lot more subtle and burial-y

edit: but yeah, I totally agree with them being opposites. dubstep is hitchcock and skrillex is "epic movie"

this

burial isn't really dubstep if you ask me.

he has a lot more in common with the better end of 2-step

I've read "ghost/memory of 2-step/UK garage" somewhere to describe Burial. Has a lot in common with dark garage and proto-dubstep releases. Also, Burial is lot more hazy, ambient and perscussive compared to the sparse and spacey sound of early dubstep. Or as dumbass brosteppers would say, at best it's "chill and shit" which is their way of not comprehending it's more emotional and not gimmicky mid-range earfucking.

Skrillex briefly was tagged as Complextro on wikipedia and I thought the term was going to blow up then implode like chillwave and fidget and electroclash but it never took off. It's stupid but the actual description is a nice stab at what he and his peers are. It just comes off as so fucking self-indulgent. I remember reading that Bassnectar made music with "omni-tempo maximalism" and somehow I didn't punch my computer.

Internet databases and genre labelling/history editing is a prime example of the problems that crowdsourcing of knowledge lead to. Take lastfm, which has a seriously fucked "dubstep" tag page: Skream is #4 behind Burial (a relief at #1, but not really a "quintessential" example of dubstep) and fucking Skrillex and Nero. Back in 2007 when I started stumbling upon dubstep from grime and breakcore Skrillex was still a teen asking forums how to load 8bit vsts in a cracked version of Fruity Loops, and I, in retrospect, was already behind on the scene. For a couple years, I could go to the lastfm page for "dubstep" and not see any mistagged electronic artist, or hell almost any non-UK act, on the entire first page. Then thousands if not millions of tweens tagged "dubstep" on every play of 'scary monsters and nice sprites' they had on repeat when they scrobbled their itunes history.

Even more fucked...lastfm's techno tag

Top 10:

The Prodigy

Scooter

Underworld

Paul Kalkbrenner

The Chemical Brothers

Orbital

Daft Punk

Basshunter

Benny Benassi

The Crystal Method

Then...

LFO

Plastikman

It gets better, with more and more established and historically well-known techno artists but no original Detroit artists until...

Derrick May at #38

:facepalm:

Still, I find lastfm incredibly useful for when I'm checking out "similar artists" quickly, especially if they aren't incredibely popular yet. In those smaller circles and groupings, genre tagging is done well. Especially the metal subgenres...way better labeling. Notably, their comment threads on band pages are also full of nitpicking. It looks pretentious and annoying, but it pays off. When people tell me that genres aren't important and it should be "whether it just sounds good" I'm inclined to agree, but the history and context of genres is important. The fact that geography, fan bases, and elasping of time are now so fused online has just made it so much more messy and subjective.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

early dubstep was basically just dark bassline-oriented 2-step u.k. garage kind of like early jungle was basically just u.k. breakbeat hardcore. burial was always just his own style but more primitive (i.e. similar to one's predecessors) than his contemporaries. it probably would have been more accurate to classify burial as 2-step, but 2-step wasn't popular at the time; dubstep was, however (or at least was an underground buzzword).

early dubstep was basically just dark bassline-oriented 2-step u.k. garage kind of like early jungle was basically just u.k. breakbeat hardcore. burial was always just his own style but more primitive (i.e. similar to one's predecessors) than his contemporaries. it probably would have been more accurate to classify burial as 2-step, but 2-step wasn't popular at the time; dubstep was, however (or at least was an underground buzzword).

Bingo. It's really the connection between him and the dubstep scene back in 06'-07' that makes him "dubstep," releasing his music through Kode9 and Hyperdub. It's structurally a lot different than the rest of the scene, lacking the focus on huge sub-bass drops. Now that everything is labelled as future bass and future garage, and more diverse than ever, his music fits in quite nicely.

Good comparison to drum n' bass and jungle. It's funny how all these things fall together, I remember in an interview at Red Bull Academy Goldie saying he had the chance to meet Burial and attested that his methodology in making beats was very primitive and organic. Likewise, Digital Mystikz were both big Metalheadz fans when they were younger.

Participant: »First of all, man, Timeless still seems to give me goosebumps. It’s official. But I was just wondering if you’ve been exposed to this new phenomenon in the UK hardcore continuum, Burial? Just like now hearing Timeless after a few years, actually, it has a certain essence of UK sound and I think with Burial I get a similar feeling, you know?«

Goldie: »Bevan is a remarkable human being. I speak with him regularly. He’s of the generation where it’s completely the opposite to how I came through music. Completely not into the whole fucking press, media, whatever else. We speak a lot about music, and ultimately he’s a genius, I think. It’s beyond what you call dubstep, it’s beyond that. He has a signature, and in fact, I’m going to share something with you, which you probably haven’t heard, but he is completely a genius. He captures the same thing, he’s got it, he’s a genius.«

(music: Burial - unknown)

»For me, what Bevan’s managed to do is completely encompass the sound, the state of the sound and I think that god bless people like him that make music like that to be an individual. He’s a very, very shy person and very, very shy and timid, but to be able to make that kind of sound. When I first heard that I was completely blown away. For me, I see myself in that. I see the sound the signature that he’s been able to write. He doesn’t use conventional ways of making music. He doesn’t program in ways that we would assume. He throws sounds and he doesn’t program the way that we program. He’s very, very primal in the way that he programs, a bit like aA Guy Called Gerald. God bless him, I think he’s gonna take this sound further and further and that’s what we need.«

Just don't think about it, aphex twin and david ghuetta are in the same category like techno

Christ.

how_not_to_live_your_life_episode_0106.jpg

baffled...........

how many layers of synths do they use for the heavy sounds? anyone know the dubstep secrets? (just curious)

for the subs, a lot of the time it's a simple sine wave modulated by a LFO. or a bunch of em with a filter

for that skrillex sound, it's prolly NI massive stuff using a formant preset agin with the LFO.

Archived