IGNORED

Aphex Hardware Live Set

Guest frankbank

I appreciate your insight but i do understand how difficult his music (especially analord) is to make. My good friend who goes under the name Identity Theft did an entire VC based drum machine and analog synth performance 2 weeks ago that had even more layers going at once than most of the tracks on analord.

Let's hear it then.

If you understood how hard it is to make then you would understand why it is ridiculous that you are saying it is ridiculous that he can't do a live hardware show.

We are talking something like 3-4 synthesizers a song average, sequencers, samplers, drum machines, effects pedals, computer processing effects, and whatever home made gear he uses. That is one song. Now he has to rewire everything, change out synthesizers and drum machines for the next song, change all the effects pedals and adjust the computer processing at the appropriate time, and then he has to reprogram the entire song back into the sequencers. Not to mention the Yamaha GX1 is basically impossible to move around for live shows. Half of his equipment would be broken when he is done with the tour/show. Some of his synthesizers cost tens of thousands of dollars a piece and they aren't reliable. Not to mention the amount of mixers and amplifiers...

i won't waste more time, but i'll just naturally let you pull your own head out of your ass at a comfortable pace. Anyone who thinks Analord is some sort of untouchable feat in hardware synthesizers has not used synthesizers extensively. Not to mention that i was never implying he should bring a GX1 on stage or any of his actual expensive rare analog synth equipment. I was just saying fans who make excuses for Aphex not doing hardware or live sets anymore because it's 'not possible' are kind of idiotic. have a nice day you stupid son of a bitch

lol watmm. chill out

Yeah, seriously chill out.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate your insight but i do understand how difficult his music (especially analord) is to make. My good friend who goes under the name Identity Theft did an entire VC based drum machine and analog synth performance 2 weeks ago that had even more layers going at once than most of the tracks on analord.

Let's hear it then.

If you understood how hard it is to make then you would understand why it is ridiculous that you are saying it is ridiculous that he can't do a live hardware show.

We are talking something like 3-4 synthesizers a song average, sequencers, samplers, drum machines, effects pedals, computer processing effects, and whatever home made gear he uses. That is one song. Now he has to rewire everything, change out synthesizers and drum machines for the next song, change all the effects pedals and adjust the computer processing at the appropriate time, and then he has to reprogram the entire song back into the sequencers. Not to mention the Yamaha GX1 is basically impossible to move around for live shows. Half of his equipment would be broken when he is done with the tour/show. Some of his synthesizers cost tens of thousands of dollars a piece and they aren't reliable. Not to mention the amount of mixers and amplifiers...

This is what a mixing desk is for- he doesn't have to rewire everything, however, if he did(probably so) use vintage analogue gear, more than likely there is no ability to save the patches made, and to program the patches again in a studio environment would be very very time consuming and some probably impossible to get the exact sound again(you will get near it of course), to do this live is next to impossible this is the beauty of modern analogue equipment with the ability to save the patches to memory. No musician recreates their patches live, they may create a few but the vast majority are saved - its more or less impossible to get the exact sound but as said you can get close!!

And to the other dude, who says his mate recreated his tunes live, he either done it above or improvised and done an on the fly set which may of sounded somewhat like his recorded material but not exactly - he obviously had his patches saved!

regards

• 3 weeks later...

What if he did just borrow most of the synths over the years like he said in one interview? That would require him to recreate the patches one by one while still being unable to do that live. Have you seen how modular patches are saved? You take a picture of the gear so you remember where all wires are plugged in. How should he do that live on rented gear? He could only use one patch per synth as there is not enough time to change patches all the time on multiple synths.

What if he did just borrow most of the synths over the years like he said in one interview? That would require him to recreate the patches one by one while still being unable to do that live. Have you seen how modular patches are saved? You take a picture of the gear so you remember where all wires are plugged in. How should he do that live on rented gear? He could only use one patch per synth as there is not enough time to change patches all the time on multiple synths.

this is true but then again he could only use tracks with similar patches. or just adjust the patches to fit the songs rather than try to replicate what he achieved in the studio. everything is doable. richard is just not much of a concert guy.

You have now proven that it is impossible to recreate the analords live with most of the old hardware synthesizers used. Congratulations.

aphex is going over to rock & roll anyway so we will have guitar shows soon

I think that EKT and 26MFC proved he would make a great regular musician.

please elaborate

Setting out to recreate the entire Analord catalogue on stage would be a hopeless endeavour, but we already agreed that's not what we would expect from a hardware show. Where did you get that stupid idea? Sound like a straw man argument.

It's only a question of finding a middle ground between practical and interesting. If RDJ only brought out a tenth of the gear Jean Michel Jarre toured with a couple years back, it would still be bloody interesting.

172333_nagy_jean_michel_jarre.jpg

Mother-of-god-meme.jpg

Let's hear it then.

i won't waste more time, but i'll just naturally let you pull your own head out of your ass at a comfortable pace. Anyone who thinks Analord is some sort of untouchable feat in hardware synthesizers has not used synthesizers extensively. Not to mention that i was never implying he should bring a GX1 on stage or any of his actual expensive rare analog synth equipment. I was just saying fans who make excuses for Aphex not doing hardware or live sets anymore because it's 'not possible' are kind of idiotic. have a nice day you stupid son of a bitch

lol watmm. chill out

I thought that was hillarious. Those of you teliing awepittance to hill out need to chill out.

please elaborate

Well he used a lot of organic sounds and samples which leads me to believe that his has good enough taste to make some really outstanding music using regular instruments.

Let's hear it then.

lol watmm. chill out

I thought that was hillarious. Those of you teliing awepittance to hill out need to chill out.

Yeah, cause some close-minded dude overreacting and making baseless assumptions about a trivial watmm thread is really entertaining.

Archived