IGNORED

Aphex Hardware Live Set

Guest frankbank

it's not a baseless assumption to tell a forum dedicated to electronic musicians that doing a hardware synthesizer and drum machine set similar to (but not exactly like) analord is within reach to anybody with the equipment and Din-sync/midi sync knowledge. It just honestly makes me sad to see people be so self defeatist and say 'no it cannot be done'. I just think an attitude like that is part of why there is so much shitty music being made.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

back that it is unrealistic to expect "analords on the fly"

how hell is it possible to indduce the same mood/emotion for each tune on command on the fly?

it's not a baseless assumption to tell a forum dedicated to electronic musicians that doing a hardware synthesizer and drum machine set similar to (but not exactly like) analord is within reach to anybody with the equipment and Din-sync/midi sync knowledge. It just honestly makes me sad to see people be so self defeatist and say 'no it cannot be done'. I just think an attitude like that is part of why there is so much shitty music being made.

good point

I appreciate your insight but i do understand how difficult his music (especially analord) is to make. My good friend who goes under the name Identity Theft did an entire VC based drum machine and analog synth performance 2 weeks ago that had even more layers going at once than most of the tracks on analord.

Let's hear it then.

If you understood how hard it is to make then you would understand why it is ridiculous that you are saying it is ridiculous that he can't do a live hardware show.

We are talking something like 3-4 synthesizers a song average, sequencers, samplers, drum machines, effects pedals, computer processing effects, and whatever home made gear he uses. That is one song. Now he has to rewire everything, change out synthesizers and drum machines for the next song, change all the effects pedals and adjust the computer processing at the appropriate time, and then he has to reprogram the entire song back into the sequencers. Not to mention the Yamaha GX1 is basically impossible to move around for live shows. Half of his equipment would be broken when he is done with the tour/show. Some of his synthesizers cost tens of thousands of dollars a piece and they aren't reliable. Not to mention the amount of mixers and amplifiers...

i won't waste more time, but i'll just naturally let you pull your own head out of your ass at a comfortable pace. Anyone who thinks Analord is some sort of untouchable feat in hardware synthesizers has not used synthesizers extensively. Not to mention that i was never implying he should bring a GX1 on stage or any of his actual expensive rare analog synth equipment. I was just saying fans who make excuses for Aphex not doing hardware or live sets anymore because it's 'not possible' are kind of idiotic. have a nice day you stupid son of a bitch

lol watmm. chill out

Yeah, seriously chill out.

I thought that was hillarious. Those of you teliing awepittance to hill out need to chill out.

Yeah, cause some close-minded dude overreacting and making baseless assumptions about a trivial watmm thread is really entertaining.

*confuses me with somebody who actually gives a fuck*

You only ever focus on half of everything being said which is why I will not be discussing things with you. It would take me expending so much energy just to explain one simple thing to you that it isn't worth it. Also, you're an asshole.

Well he used a lot of organic sounds and samples which leads me to believe that his has good enough taste to make some really outstanding music using regular instruments.

i think thats what he is into now. like the logos foundation stuff. Midi'ed up acoustic instruments.

back that it is unrealistic to expect "analords on the fly"

how hell is it possible to indduce the same mood/emotion for each tune on command on the fly?

It's called "being a performer".

Guest pixelives

Not that he'll ever do it. But if he did, or for that matter anybody who decides to do a live hardware set. It is always an interpretation and usually a stripped down one of tracks you have made.

There are plenty of Midi and din sync sequencers with sequence banks that can be saved and can be routed. It's no different than any band playing their stuff live. No, they do not have every piece of outboard or instrument that was used on the recording but it ends up being a "LIVE" and rawer take of the recording.

The only time you have total playback is when you have fucking bands like U2 who have computers upon computers syncing backing tracks to go along with the playing. And that shit is lame.

Basically what I'm saying is: he doesn't need to bring the GX1. Live is not purist. It's live and real time and something other than a recording and it can become something else entirely.

Guest pixelives

So I guess what I'm saying is that not every timbre would match up to the exact synth that was used on the recording. But the notes would or could. He could take along a few 303's a few 101s a poly or two and some drum machines (maybe a small modular) and it would be sick and raw as fuck playing stripped down versions of Analords.

analord was a long time ago. hes moved on. thats aphex, always one step ahead of expectations.

aaaand he has his own big shoes to fill. it would have to amazing

So I guess what I'm saying is that not every timbre would match up to the exact synth that was used on the recording. But the notes would or could. He could take along a few 303's a few 101s a poly or two and some drum machines (maybe a small modular) and it would be sick and raw as fuck playing stripped down versions of Analords.

So, sort of like putting the tracks on a computer and then doing some remixing during the show?

You only ever focus on half of everything being said which is why I will not be discussing things with you. It would take me expending so much energy just to explain one simple thing to you that it isn't worth it. Also, you're an asshole.

If trying to remove your delusional self imposed limitations makes me an asshole i will gladly accept that

What if he did just borrow most of the synths over the years like he said in one interview?

yeah and from another source some guy said that RDJ has the biggest analog collection hed ever seen, and another rumor is that he sold most of his analog gear after Analord since he doesn't live at the bank anymore and its where Analord was made due to the real room reverb sound? But then again RDJ also spins shit a bit in interviews..

Seriously RDJ would never make a track live with his equipment, he has said it he hates being ripped off and doesn't put out his best stuff because of it.

i very lucky to have seen a shit load of people i like live. and i don't think aphex is about being live. its more about the party and now visual live show. what he is doing no stage is mental and when you are in the crowd its something else. its like he plays the stuff he likes.

The rephlex 21 party at bang face will be ace and i do hope he joins in with his friends that night.

the one group that always put a smile on my face live is autechre, no lights just loud beats in the dark

I appreciate your insight but i do understand how difficult his music (especially analord) is to make. My good friend who goes under the name Identity Theft did an entire VC based drum machine and analog synth performance 2 weeks ago that had even more layers going at once than most of the tracks on analord.

Let's hear it then.

If you understood how hard it is to make then you would understand why it is ridiculous that you are saying it is ridiculous that he can't do a live hardware show.

We are talking something like 3-4 synthesizers a song average, sequencers, samplers, drum machines, effects pedals, computer processing effects, and whatever home made gear he uses. That is one song. Now he has to rewire everything, change out synthesizers and drum machines for the next song, change all the effects pedals and adjust the computer processing at the appropriate time, and then he has to reprogram the entire song back into the sequencers. Not to mention the Yamaha GX1 is basically impossible to move around for live shows. Half of his equipment would be broken when he is done with the tour/show. Some of his synthesizers cost tens of thousands of dollars a piece and they aren't reliable. Not to mention the amount of mixers and amplifiers...

i won't waste more time, but i'll just naturally let you pull your own head out of your ass at a comfortable pace. Anyone who thinks Analord is some sort of untouchable feat in hardware synthesizers has not used synthesizers extensively. Not to mention that i was never implying he should bring a GX1 on stage or any of his actual expensive rare analog synth equipment. I was just saying fans who make excuses for Aphex not doing hardware or live sets anymore because it's 'not possible' are kind of idiotic. have a nice day you stupid son of a bitch

lol watmm. chill out

cats_fighting.jpg

sorry, had to.

Archived