IGNORED

Aphex Hardware Live Set

Guest frankbank

other music is other music. most of the non electronic music i enjoy has been recorded live in the studio with no tricks or overdubs. i do think a live aphex set would be great fun, but i don't think people should expect analords on the fly or anything.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

other music is other music. most of the non electronic music i enjoy has been recorded live in the studio with no tricks or overdubs. i do think a live aphex set would be great fun, but i don't think people should expect analords on the fly or anything.

he could do it with the new robot he got:

hat_easter3.jpg

that would be fun

I'd settle for The Tuss on the fly... :P

based on the last good interview (the polish one) I think he might get more into video live installations n shit (not just having visuals like in his DJ sets) also he mentioned that he's not relying on synthetic sound sources anymore. So he might toss up some wicked machines to the stage. so it seems he is moving a bit into 'outside-music' arts, this imho will be the golden age of an aphex twin, if his ideas become achiveable (not self evident, as he talked to some curator who told him 'no', as it was too inconvenient and expensive, as he said in the interview)

Guest KRiSh 05

based on the last good interview (the polish one) I think he might get more into video live installations n shit (not just having visuals like in his DJ sets) also he mentioned that he's not relying on synthetic sound sources anymore. So he might toss up some wicked machines to the stage. so it seems he is moving a bit into 'outside-music' arts, this imho will be the golden age of an aphex twin, if his ideas become achiveable (not self evident, as he talked to some curator who told him 'no', as it was too inconvenient and expensive, as he said in the interview)

is it possible to have a link of this polish interview ?

missed him while i was working in Poland... his pieces with the orchestra & Pendereczki were just fantastic....

i seriously regret missing that show.

considering the quality he playes during live shows and his live twiddling with the tracks, listening Richard's live-sets are just like listening a live-set with machines... every show is well live-mixed and he playes loads of alternate versions of tracks as long as unreleased materials and other tracks... a machine live-set could be very interesting but usually it raises the costs and i don't think its shows are not expensive... recently Matmos said they reduced their on-stage gears cause of the unaffordable costs of the air transport...

moreover, i would like to point out that is not so easy deciding which little baby should go outside "home".. it's dangerous out there...

:D

anyway i can imagine him playing live with a set up similar to Klaus Schulze's concerts... (now rare performances)

..but bouncing around on each knob like a mad :)

it's presence on stage is not so focused on him... and i think he prefers this.. anyway would be great listening him tweaking live :)

and now i'm just waiting for Tom's new LED show... few days are missing ;-)

He has a nice cheese board and a glass of quality red wine. He presses play and then munches his way through it throughout the set.

He also has one of those fish foot manicure things going on under the desk.

anyway i can imagine him playing live with a set up similar to Klaus Schulze's concerts... (now rare performances)

..but bouncing around on each knob like a mad :)

it's presence on stage is not so focused on him... and i think he prefers this.. anyway would be great listening him tweaking live :)

this would be nice, but I've always thought that the focus of most of RDJ's music is dancing; Schulze's material is more psychedelic, ambient, progressive based pieces (at least from what I've heard anyway).

An oldschool rave set (Caustic Window stuff perhaps?) with hardware would be wonderful though.

He has a nice cheese board and a glass of quality red wine. He presses play and then munches his way through it throughout the set.

Haha, I'm planning to do this when my synthpunk band Italians plays live. Put out a nice platter of antipasto for us and the audience to enjoy while we play our tunes.

lol, when I saw Autechre the entire venue transformed into the Zion scene from the second Matrix movie. Then again, I was tripping. But still, everyone around me was dancing.

hah, thats amazing. was this on their latest tour, when they played a few Australian stops? They didn't play North America at all :cry:

Guest steveffisher

Does anyone know what this device is?

tumblr_lg7sydyEMQ1qa37p0o1_500.gif

Electronic bingo game? ... LAN office phone for conference calls? (;

Looks like he's pinching it from someone else's set!

It looks like some kind of groovy midi control surface to me, may be a way to trigger fx/transitions from one song to the next during his set. The thing on the right looks like a DI box, but it's really hard to tell.

Guest jasondonervan

lol, when I saw Autechre the entire venue transformed into the Zion scene from the second Matrix movie. Then again, I was tripping. But still, everyone around me was dancing.

Sort of similar experience for me - it was your standard scene of happy as larry drugged up blokes dancing around like loons, with confused girlfriends stood on the sidelines wondering how they'd be tricked into attending an ultrasonic weapons demonstration.

i find it extremely bizarre and out of touch that anyone would even suggest, or speculate that Aphex Twin, the master of electronic music would have a difficult time doing a very enjoyable completely live set with hardware synths and drum machines.

have you guys not seen people doing this? It's become quite common in the san francisco bay area, Jonah sharp just started a monthly at 222 hyde in san francisco where the rule is basically no laptops, only synths and drum machines. Somehow magically, like a miracle, a lineup of 3 musicians per night who barely anyone has heard of perform a set using only synths and drum machines that sounds pretty damn good

edit:

If RDJ's taste in dance music was even remotely up my alley i wouldn't mind as much of his complete lack of stage performance for the past decade, even his 'live' sets during the RDJ album tour were him on a laptop lying down on the stage, barely moving. It just doesn't seem like something he particularly enjoys doing, but i've sene him (through a series of animated gifs) doing a Jersey shore style excited fist bump during DJ sets. Seems like he enjoys doing them a lot, more power to him. I just wished he played stuff that was slightly more eclectic, abstract and less nostalgic rave.

i find it extremely bizarre and out of touch that anyone would even suggest, or speculate that Aphex Twin, the master of electronic music would have a difficult time doing a very enjoyable completely live set with hardware synths and drum machines.

have you guys not seen people doing this? It's become quite common in the san francisco bay area, Jonah sharp just started a monthly at 222 hyde in san francisco where the rule is basically no laptops, only synths and drum machines. Somehow magically, like a miracle, a lineup of 3 musicians per night who barely anyone has heard of perform a set using only synths and drum machines that sounds pretty damn good

edit:

If RDJ's taste in dance music was even remotely up my alley i wouldn't mind as much of his complete lack of stage performance for the past decade, even his 'live' sets during the RDJ album tour were him on a laptop lying down on the stage, barely moving. It just doesn't seem like something he particularly enjoys doing, but i've sene him (through a series of animated gifs) doing a Jersey shore style excited fist bump during DJ sets. Seems like he enjoys doing them a lot, more power to him. I just wished he played stuff that was slightly more eclectic, abstract and less nostalgic rave.

You kind of don't understand how difficult a lot of his music is to make. You also don't understand the nature of custom made gear, analog synthesizers, sequencing, and drum machines. Also, you are probably seeing a lot of midi-syncing. You also don't understand the reason that .gif is so interesting. Also, I think that his live show is very entertaining. (lights and videos) He remixes a lot of the music he plays live as well. So most of what you hear isn't just the original track.

I appreciate your insight but i do understand how difficult his music (especially analord) is to make. My good friend who goes under the name Identity Theft did an entire VC based drum machine and analog synth performance 2 weeks ago that had even more layers going at once than most of the tracks on analord.

Guest sirch

Also, I think that his live show is very entertaining. (lights and videos) He remixes a lot of the music he plays live as well. So most of what you hear isn't just the original track.

yar. this is true.

i have a few recordings of Aphex Dj'ing from around 2000 which i found again recently. and there's some mental awesome shit in there.

I appreciate your insight but i do understand how difficult his music (especially analord) is to make. My good friend who goes under the name Identity Theft did an entire VC based drum machine and analog synth performance 2 weeks ago that had even more layers going at once than most of the tracks on analord.

Let's hear it then.

If you understood how hard it is to make then you would understand why it is ridiculous that you are saying it is ridiculous that he can't do a live hardware show.

We are talking something like 3-4 synthesizers a song average, sequencers, samplers, drum machines, effects pedals, computer processing effects, and whatever home made gear he uses. That is one song. Now he has to rewire everything, change out synthesizers and drum machines for the next song, change all the effects pedals and adjust the computer processing at the appropriate time, and then he has to reprogram the entire song back into the sequencers. Not to mention the Yamaha GX1 is basically impossible to move around for live shows. Half of his equipment would be broken when he is done with the tour/show. Some of his synthesizers cost tens of thousands of dollars a piece and they aren't reliable. Not to mention the amount of mixers and amplifiers...

Setting out to recreate the entire Analord catalogue on stage would be a hopeless endeavour, but we already agreed that's not what we would expect from a hardware show. Where did you get that stupid idea? Sound like a straw man argument.

It's only a question of finding a middle ground between practical and interesting. If RDJ only brought out a tenth of the gear Jean Michel Jarre toured with a couple years back, it would still be bloody interesting.

172333_nagy_jean_michel_jarre.jpg

he also said in one interview that a great bunch of the gear used on analord wasn't his own. but yeah he could rent it. he also could do a more minimal sampler based liveact but that would take much of the spirit away

Let's hear it then.

If you understood how hard it is to make then you would understand why it is ridiculous that you are saying it is ridiculous that he can't do a live hardware show.

We are talking something like 3-4 synthesizers a song average, sequencers, samplers, drum machines, effects pedals, computer processing effects, and whatever home made gear he uses. That is one song. Now he has to rewire everything, change out synthesizers and drum machines for the next song, change all the effects pedals and adjust the computer processing at the appropriate time, and then he has to reprogram the entire song back into the sequencers. Not to mention the Yamaha GX1 is basically impossible to move around for live shows. Half of his equipment would be broken when he is done with the tour/show. Some of his synthesizers cost tens of thousands of dollars a piece and they aren't reliable. Not to mention the amount of mixers and amplifiers...

i won't waste more time, but i'll just naturally let you pull your own head out of your ass at a comfortable pace. Anyone who thinks Analord is some sort of untouchable feat in hardware synthesizers has not used synthesizers extensively. Not to mention that i was never implying he should bring a GX1 on stage or any of his actual expensive rare analog synth equipment. I was just saying fans who make excuses for Aphex not doing hardware or live sets anymore because it's 'not possible' are kind of idiotic. have a nice day you stupid son of a bitch

i have old recordings of tracks aphex played live that are clearly different from the album version. Not like playing with loops like he does now. The tracks sound the same but are different in how the synths are filtered. the melodies are slightly different. You can tell its live straight from the instruments. Maybe he did different takes at home and played those from dats for a live feel. These are old tracks. Mid 90's

Let's hear it then.

i won't waste more time, but i'll just naturally let you pull your own head out of your ass at a comfortable pace. Anyone who thinks Analord is some sort of untouchable feat in hardware synthesizers has not used synthesizers extensively. Not to mention that i was never implying he should bring a GX1 on stage or any of his actual expensive rare analog synth equipment. I was just saying fans who make excuses for Aphex not doing hardware or live sets anymore because it's 'not possible' are kind of idiotic. have a nice day you stupid son of a bitch

lol watmm. chill out

Archived