IGNORED

Dan Deacon - America

encey

http://www.dominorecordco.us/usa/albums/07-06-12/america

We're proud to announce the release of Dan Deacon's new album, America, out August 28th. America is Dan Deacon’s most powerful work to date, the culmination of years spent playing both DIY venues and concert halls across the world, of exercises in the power of the individual and a coordinated mass, of a disenfranchised mind questioning notions of cultural identity and values.

The ecstatic, celebratory sounds found on America, are in compelling contrast with the darker thematic undercurrents. The album demonstrates anger, confusion, and apocalyptic anxiety over corporatism and war, but finds consolation in the geography of the United States and in recent social movements both domestic and international.

I only heard one song so far, 'Lots,' and it sounds like his other stuff, but I love Dan Deacon so I am excite! It's been a long time since Bromst which I thought was fantastic. I hope this one is just as good.

Does anyone else here like Dan Deacon? I would soooo love to see him live, although I get the impression that he is a bit of a control freak over audience participation lol!

Dominique Leone is better than Dan Deacon in some ways. He's more of a companion with Max Tundra and prog-pop style music. Deacon carries a little too much of that nu-punk vocal style which really turns me off, personally. His music is pretty awesome at times though.

Dan is great, and his live shows are really something else.. Seeing him do a small intimate set at the SDSU campus this spring was amazing he played on the lot as everyone crowded around his table. I was right in the front all night (except during the crowd games that got everone moving), All the crowd interaction was a blast, and his little between song banter is just hilarious. If you ever get the chance see him live. Definitely lookibg forward to hearing this output.

Seen him live twice, it was AWESOME!!! The first time was better cos the audience was less drunk and so followed his directions a lot better, we made a pretty sweet human tunnel. Second time was good too, the music sounded a lot better.

I don't listen to him too often to be honest. I really have to be in the mood for it... cos it's SO NOISY... but I am still looking forward to the new album.

I have to get it off my chest : Dan deacon is an ugly self-indulgent hipster on drugs who makes awful music for white people who like to act silly like 4 years olds during his performances. I tried to listen to the album "Bromst", and i can't stand it : it's some of the most annoying music i've ever heard.

White people.

Guest Hanratty

I have to get it off my chest : Dan deacon is an ugly self-indulgent hipster on drugs who makes awful music for white people who like to act silly like 4 years olds during his performances. I tried to listen to the album "Bromst", and i can't stand it : it's some of the most annoying music i've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw4U2Sv11Ms

White people.

That video is 10 years old.

I met him, saw him perform. He is self-indulgent I guess, but in his case that's a good thing. I don't think he has a big ego or anything. He came to my little boring town's local union hall and played after a horrible local teenage "emo" band, or whatever they were, they were awful. He just totally blew them away (using a Casio keyboard and some blinking lights pretty much) and I don't think anyone knew who he was at that time/place. This is like 2006. and no one in the audience was hip at all, I can guarantee that. except for me. He was awesome.

He came to my little boring town's local union hall and played after a horrible local teenage "emo" band

That might have been me! I opened for Dan Deacon with a group I was in back in 2008... I had no idea that he was a well-known artist. Definitely going to check him out now.

I know i'm overreacting, and from the interview i saw/red, he seems like a nice/simple person, but i find it a little ridiculous when this guy is put in charge of the last Francis Ford Coppola's film score :s I just think this guy is a bit overrated.

Guest Hanratty

I know i'm overreacting, and from the interview i saw/red, he seems like a nice/simple person, but i find it a little ridiculous when this guy is put in charge of the last Francis Ford Coppola's film score :s I just think this guy is a bit overrated.

woah, he's working for Coppola? cool.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest disparaissant
From RA:

Dan Deacon will release a new album this month called America.

Deacon is an off-kilter US electronic producer who's been a favorite in the indie scene since his 2007 album Spiderman of the Rings. His style has always been open-ended—though best known for high energy electronic indie pop, his early releases on CD-R were mostly ambient and drone, and recently he's put his classical training to use in a number of contemporary classical projects, including a score for the Francis Ford Coppola film Twixt. This side of his talent comes through in the four-track finale of America, which features a 22-person orchestra playing alongside Deacon's noisy electronics.

As the title suggests, America is to some extent a meditation on Deacon's own nationality, and especially the complexity of American identity. "To me, the underground DIY and wilderness are just as American as their evil brethren, corporatism and environmental destruction," he says. "It's that juxtaposition of fundamentally opposed ideologies that make up the American landscape."

America Tracklist:

01. Guilford Avenue Bridge

02. True Thrush

03. Lots

04. Prettyboy

05. Crash Jam

06. USA I: Is a Monster

07. USA II: The Great American Desert

08. USA III: Rail

09. USA IV: Manifest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnXiXlF7olo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGd6s3itVt4

Typical Dan Deacon - sick shit!

Does anyone else here like Dan Deacon? I would soooo love to see him live, although I get the impression that he is a bit of a control freak over audience participation lol!

I saw him live in 2005 or 06 (can't quite recall), and he... is a fat man who plays party tricks. It was fun, but not a very good show on his part. He told a very long story about spiderman, vaginas, and some other stuff, but most of the set was just him flopping around to drum machines (fun to see for a minute). Granted this was way back, and he was headlining a show full of noise artists. My friend and I were the only ones dancing, and I think he appreciated that, but overall, he just struck me as a (pretty friendly) fat smelly guy that likes to play out at parties and get wild (read: sweaty), kinda like Darren from The Show is the Rainbow.

i used to hate dan deacon i admit, but over time i've learned to appreciate what he does. And especially with all the imitators of him out there now its hard to deny the influence he's had in general. There is a local guy out here who bites off of this guy like a mother fucker and doesn't even have close to the level of stage presence. The only thing he maybe beats Deacon in is that he has a more faggoty bald haircut

IMO Dan took the style of others before him, like Darren Keen, as I mentioned in my last post. Dan's had better success, though.

We're proud to announce the release of Dan Deacon's new album, America, out August 28th. America is Dan Deacon’s most powerful work to date, the culmination of years spent playing both DIY venues and concert halls across the world, of exercises in the power of the individual and a coordinated mass, of a disenfranchised mind questioning notions of cultural identity and values.

The ecstatic, celebratory sounds found on America, are in compelling contrast with the darker thematic undercurrents. The album demonstrates anger, confusion, and apocalyptic anxiety over corporatism and war, but finds consolation in the geography of the United States and in recent social movements both domestic and international.

Jesus fucking christ shoot me. READ THIS THEN SHOOT ME.

Archived