IGNORED

$600

Hugh Mughnus

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RadarJammer

30 pairs of sony mdr v150s

I somehow always have a pair of these even though they are tight and more uncomfortable than a prehensile dolphin penis giving me a good writhing head squeeze.

Oh you want bass-heavy.

Yeah get some beats dawg.

Does Dre actually promote them as being good enough for production use by budding young beatmakers?

:facepalm: so out of curiousity, I tried Teh Beats...I can understand the appeal of having a lot of bass, but goddamn... so muddy!!

It sounds like you're listening to everything through a sheet. Even the bass doesn't really sound good; it's just loud.

Guest viscosity

I read that the sony XB500/700 will rattle your skull, probably good for a nice head massage

1fadc467_XB500_2.jpeg

I have the K701, lots of clarity, but you need to invest in a decent amplifier to get any bass out of them

Guest disparaissant

I somehow always have a pair of these even though they are tight and more uncomfortable than a prehensile dolphin penis giving me a good writhing head squeeze.

really? i have a pretty huge head and they fit fine. i use them for on the go headphones. i can throw them in my purse or backpack and if they break oh well they were like $18.

AKG K701s are on sale at Amazon right now. Get those plus an amp and never look back. Wait do you need them for outside the home listening?

Oh you want bass-heavy.

24147750.jpg

The K701s are not for everyone. I'd say try Sennheiser HD-650s and a good amp, first, and if those sound too dark, return them and get some K701s. I love my HD650s. They present much warmer than the K701s but sound natural and balanced to me. But neither one of those headphones will shine without an investment in an amp, and will sound either very thin (701) or very muddy (650) if done wrong.

Grado PS-500s come in around this range, too. I have an earlier predecessor of those, the HF-2. They're a lot of fun. Can be driven well without an amp, although they also improve with one. They're not flat like studio monitors by any means (but then neither are the AKGs or Sennheisers, although those two resolve detail better and have a slightly more natural presentation (depending on how you like your bass)), but they're a lot of fun. If you just want to have fun listening, I'd say get some good Grados, either the PS-500 (or an old HF-2 if you can find one), or the RS-1s. The circumnaural, super-expensive Grados (PS-1000s and GS-1000s) sound weird to me. Grados work best with a smallish sound stage and vibrant mids, and the big ones fuck that up.

If you want maximum isolation, look at some Shure SE-535s. They're fucking amazing and right in your price range, no amplification needed. Just be careful not to crank the volume, and don't play in traffic. Err, I have a pair of those, too.

Bose is pretty good, I hear. Check out Bose.

lol

i really like my senns 650, especially good with electronic musics imo. i never got that (popular) argument that they sound "dark" in some way, to me they sound very balanced with any music, though i haven't tried many other brands so i might be lacking perspective. they're considered very jack-of-all trades kinda headphones.

i really like my senns 650, especially good with electronic musics imo. i never got that (popular) argument that they sound "dark" in some way, to me they sound very balanced with any music, though i haven't tried many other brands so i might be lacking perspective. they're considered very jack-of-all trades kinda headphones.

I don't think they're particularly dark, either. Unless they're coming straight out of an iPod or shitty soundcard headphone jack. They are warm-- warmer than the HD-600s they replaced -- but they sound natural to me. Not neutral--whatever the fuck that means-- but natural. Timbrally convincing. There are psychoacoustic concessions a headphone has to make, and you can't pump out a flat signal like a studio monitor and have it sound right. The HD-650s err on the side of warmth and body; the K-701s err on the side of detail and resolution. Neither one is correct, but some people really respond to one or the other as being more "natural." It's actually sort of interesting.

Dr. Bose, on the other hand, "pioneered" study in psychoacoustics apparently to figure out that people will pay big bucks for cheap components if the freq response is peaked in a few places, so it sounds "good" in an uncritical showroom audition. Sort of the same idea as Sony cranking up the saturation and brightness on the "showroom" setting of their plasmas.

i'd say that they're balanced, no audible humps for sure. though the official brochure that comes with them states that they're tinkered with to fit "current listening preferences" or something like that, it's basically a slight bump in the mid-bass according to some russian audiophile forums. sometimes i think they lack some deep bass, it's probably the only apparent weakness to me.

AKG K701s are on sale at Amazon right now. Get those plus an amp and never look back. Wait do you need them for outside the home listening?

Oh you want bass-heavy.

24147750.jpg

The K701s are not for everyone.

True - I'm just a slut for AKG - seriously, if corporations are people, AKG can give me head any day of the week.

Bose is pretty good, I hear. Check out Bose.

lol

forreal though, check out Bose.

if you are about to spend 600 dollars, you should check out these:

Grado SR 325 is

http://moesrealm.com/img/grado_sr325i_03.jpg

(they are about 400€)

and these

HiFiMAN HE-5 LE (these are magnetostatic headphones)

http://www.ampcity.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/i/hifiman-he5le-3_1.jpg

(they are about 600€)

True - I'm just a slut for AKG - seriously, if corporations are people, AKG can give me head any day of the week.

even in a post-harman-acquisition world?

Hay noob, cool story. READ THE FUCKING RULES.

EDIT:

When there is so much content on this forum about advice for headphones, amps, soundcards, digital/analog converters etc. relevant to his question that he could have his questions answered in minutes with even how horrible the WATMM search function is and not to mention google. Your pushing down less redundant threads, wasting peoples time they are so generously throwing away to a currently lazy inefficient short sighted twat waffle.

Hey ass bandit :emotawesomepm9:

"I'm looking for your experiences with headphones" maybe you didnt catch that part.

I value WATMMers opinions (considering lots of you have, you know, technical experience with music and technology and shit) over the millions of google results that bring up reviews from people saying shit like OMG Skull candy headphones is the best blah blah blah

Lighten up!

Also I used the search function before and oh yeah it sucks I remember now. :beer:

Smoke a joint.

Oh you want bass-heavy.

Actually the 701s are on my list of maybes along with the grado sr325i.... I dont want bass heavy (I know I said bass heavy before, I just mis-spoke because I was drunk sorry), just not lacking is all... If there was actually a fucking decent store here in this cultural wasteland called Calgary Id go test some of these models out! lol

There is a lot of good recommendations RE headphones here, but what about headphone amps?? I dont even know where to start with headphone amps... =(

for about 600€ you could get a Brocksieper Earmax Pro

brocksieper.jpg

cheaper: Rega EAR (about 290€)

104761.jpg

really cheap, but still not bad (about 100€): Pro Ject Audio Heed Box II

headbox.jpg

for about 600€ you could get a Brocksieper Earmax Pro

brocksieper.jpg

cheaper: Rega EAR (about 290€)

104761.jpg

really cheap, but still not bad (about 100€): Pro Ject Audio Heed Box II

headbox.jpg

Im going to look into the middle one and the bottom one. 600 euros is too much for meee at the moment.

Thanks for all the recommendations

Guest uptown devil

i've always wanted a pair of grado rs1i's. the mahogany casing is damn sexy.

7d0a9b12985484ea5acc82aa7f610ac1.jpg

i don't think i'd ever take them out of the house though.

Im going to look into the middle one and the bottom one. 600 euros is too much for meee at the moment.

Thanks for all the recommendations

no problem :)

i have bought a stereo amplifier by rega some months ago, it's excellent...so i would recommend this brand (looks bad/meh, sounds/plays great)

Guest Al Hounos

i like the way grados sound, but they're just too damned uncomfortable. scratch foam touching the sensitive parts of my ear, no thank you.

another voter for the Sennheiser HD-650. I use them with a Little Dot amp, which is very good. check head-fi.

i like the way grados sound, but they're just too damned uncomfortable. scratch foam touching the sensitive parts of my ear, no thank you.

another voter for the Sennheiser HD-650. I use them with a Little Dot amp, which is very good. check head-fi.

Going to check that out now!

One thing I'm also looking for is durability though, and I've heard not so good things about the senns... Sometimes I like to drink and pass out with the things on my head listening to tunes into the weeee hours of the morning.

If they're not able to withstand that, I don't think they'll last long!

Archived