IGNORED

MARS, BITCH.

kaini

Guest Gary C

Apparently Will.I.Am endorses a scientific foundation, which is a pretty cool thing for a celebrity to do, I guess. But it still doesn't make his music worthy of such an equally pointless and profound status.

They should've just gone with the Beatles, or something classical. Didn't the UN once create a planetary national anthem that combined world music? Uh, whatever.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest theSun

the only thing wrong or misleading about that analogy is it compares earth (as a closed system) with the universe (also obviously closed in this scenario). and the scale of the earth is just about impossible to comprehend, let alone the scale of the universe.

srry, im a dolt. what do you mean by closed system vs open system in this context?

i guess i didn't really get my idea acroess clearly. it was more just a point about how even with that analogy, it is impossible to comprehend the sheer distance involved and quantity of possibilities in the universe regarding "life", even when compared with a planet like this, which is described/imagined by its inhabitants as biologically diverse and spatially massive. if that makes sense...

COFFEEEE

Apparently Will.I.Am endorses a scientific foundation, which is a pretty cool thing for a celebrity to do, I guess. But it still doesn't make his music worthy of such an equally pointless and profound status.

They should've just gone with the Beatles, or something classical. Didn't the UN once create a planetary national anthem that combined world music? Uh, whatever.

On that note they'd should've played Stockhausen's "Hymnen"

EMI actually denied the Beatles from being added to the Gold Disk Record on the Voyager Probe in 1977 :mellow:

will.i.am seems like a nice enough guy, but my god is his music terrible. I wasn't expecting NASA to play "Polynomial C" or "Vletrmx21" but they could of made an executive decision to not let this happen, and, I dunno play Vangelis or something. Hell, I would been less offended if they played Incubus "Stellar" or some Daft Punk song.

Mars hears this instead :dry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgQ4aXzhvHw

Guest theSun

basically, universe is too big for us to comprehend without absolute math, which is impossible to conceptualize. what's the difference in your mind between 1,000,000,000,000 miles and 1,000,000,000,000,000,000?

it's not like it matters, there's nobody there anyway. nasa gets their money and will.i.am gets his track played to an empty desert planet. everyone wins.

edit: that song is so bad. i couldn't listen through the whole thing. wtf lol.

y dooday say da sky is da limit

and i no the sky

might be hi

but baybe it aint really that hi

REACH 4 DA STARS

LET ME SEE YO HAND SUP

ARRRRRUUUUUUUUUUU

ARRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUU

ARRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!

i can't believe we're playing this to another planet

"like a lion out the jungle you can hear us roar"

yeah mars will relate to this lol

i'm actually hoping there IS life there and in a hitch-hikers guide style mishap, the lyrics are actually the worst insult imaginable in martian.

oh god

that

autotune

why

"and i know the sky maybe high, but baby it ain' really that high

and i know that mars maybe far, but baby it ain' really that far"

this is the worst...

i don't even

latest research show that emitting large amounts of shit/autotune tracks into space causes the space-time to curl around the earth and form a giant russian-sailor hand that will bitchslap the earth and send it straight to the Sun's core.

Oh, hey, so apparently Will.I.Am's new single will be broadcast from the rover and played to the surface of Mars.

That's pretty fucking lame right there, but it makes you wonder why they put a speaker on the rover. Surely they wouldn't have put it there just for some marketing exercise. This is Nasa and a state-of-art spacecraft. Were they at least not-closed to the idea that they might actually encounter life?

No speaker, they radioed it back. I think it's a great idea. We have a world full of people who are bored about space. Doing something with pop appeal is a great idea to generate more intrest. Also who gives a fuck what the song was. It's a completely symbolic gesture.

What should they have played? Some obscure ass IDM shit that no one will appreciate?

Archived