IGNORED

MARS, BITCH.

kaini

Guest kokeboka

I've read somewhere that it is theoretically possible to terraform Mars to Earth-like conditions in less than 50 years, but I'm not 100% sure this is accurate.

that would be QG, although 50 years seems pretty optimistic. where'd you read that, koke?

Most astronomers agree that Mars could be turned into a little Earth, though it would take decades to achieve this goal and would require massive expenditure.

On here. The specific 50 years estimate was from a documentary I can't seem to find right now, though I do know it is very optimistic (I like to think of the best case scenario of me being alive to see it happen :emotawesomepm9:). I think 'most astronomers' might be thinking centuries and not decades; this article mentions 500 years, and quotes another one estimating 100,000 years. It probably won't happen until most scientists agree on a workable yet realistic timeframe.

If they find any kind of past microbial life on Mars, there will be a lot of debate over the ethics of terraforming it. On the other side, finding life on 2 planets in our own solar system would mean that life is far more common throughout the galaxy than we thought.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that picture was sent to earth within minutes after landing using the "hazard avoidance camera". this thing has got 17 cameras installed on it, one of which takes 1600x1200 color pics and films in 720p. we won't see any of that for a couple of days - a week though.

no wonder i'm not in it ! i saw the thing flying by and i waved, but looks like those cameras are really good at what they do.

First Color Photo!

674080main_PIA15691-43_946-710.jpg

My guess is they cropped out all of the dust and shit and the result was this canted angle.

I bet someone also spent 2 days shopping the crud out.

You really would think they'd put a windshield wiper or a compressed air nozzle on that lens. Personally, I think there is no excuse for this kind of shit.

I'm out.

Apparently its a 2 mega pixel camera and it looks shit as hell because its got a dust cap on it which will come off in a few days once the dust has died down from the landing.

Should have strapped a Samsung S2 on the front of it least that sucker goes upto 8 Mega pixels.

"Get ya ass to mars"

Archived