IGNORED

Spielberg's "Lincoln"

syd syside

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the trailer is shit, though most of the "big movie" trailers are.

Much like your posting.

lol, what's your problem exactly ? it's just an incredibly pedestrian and typically hollywoodish trailer that just bludgeons you with 1-2 second snippets of the most significant moments of the film backed by cheesy over-dramatic music.

"the master" trailers are amazing in comparison.

in fact i think trailers shouldn't be made of movie footage altogether, that guy pearce prometheus ted talk was nice.

plus tommy lee jones in an epic wig

i actually googled "tommy lee jones wig lincoln" in hope to find the beginnings of a new meme but got this reddit post instead:

"The wig is actually accurate to character. Thaddeus Stevens suffered a bout of brain fever as a youth which left him bald. The story goes he had a wig cut to the same length all the way round so that he wouldn't need to concern himself about which way was front."

• 1 month later...

at least Amistad in some respects reflected very strongly how racist everybody was obviously, I heard in Lincoln that there is no indication Lincoln was a racist (which he was based on his own quotations), i mean maybe it's too much to ask that Lincoln not be some sort of idealized slave freeing hero in a Spielberg film?

“I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races—that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this, that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”

at least Amistad in some respects reflected very strongly how racist everybody was obviously, I heard in Lincoln that there is no indication Lincoln was a racist (which he was based on his own quotations), i mean maybe it's too much to ask that Lincoln not be some sort of idealized slave freeing hero in a Spielberg film?

“I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races—that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this, that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”

I think people tend to assume the public, political Lincoln is the same being as the private, withdrawn Lincoln. Let's remember that this quote was taken from a public debate against Stephen Douglas. Let's also remember that if Lincoln was to roundly condemn slavery, you can kiss his vote goodbye. Part of the reason he was vilified during his presidency was that he seemed to be a "turncoat", the guy that brought about the undoing of the Union, when he campaigned claiming he would do the opposite. His private writings indicate he was pretty damn torn up about the entire slavery issue. However, its iffy to try and parse the slavery issue from the racial hierarchy issue. He could have still been a white supremacist, but still condemn the institution of slavery, much like Jefferson did (though granted its even harder to defend Jefferson on that point)

Edit: To be more specific, Lincoln was trying to court some of the midwestern vote in the 1860 election. It was well known that a lot of voters in Illinois and the other western territories had Southern sympathies and supported antebellum traditionalism. For Lincoln to condemn this practice he would almost have surely lost his home state.

http://mason.gmu.edu/~zschrag/hist120spring05/lincoln_ottawa.htm

for further reading

Archived