IGNORED

iPhone 5

J3FF3R00

I am content with being able to call and text. Ten years ago you didn't even think about needing to go to the internet on a drop of a hat, but now all of a sudden you can't live without it.

I'd get fired without it, so there's that.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never understood the need to get a new phone every 12-18 month. What are you doing to your phones to be "on their last legs" after just 3 years. I've had 5 phones since I got my first in 97, the best one ever being the Nokia 6110.

I don't know if you use your phones every day, but I do. Over 3 years is a long time for a phone and, by your math, 5 phones over 15 years equals one new phone roughly every 3 years since 97.

The phone has been dropped a zillion times. The vibrate switch hasn't worked in over a year. The body is separating near the charge jack. It runs really slow to the point where, with almost anything you type, the letters freeze up and you have to sit and wait a few seconds after you finish typing for it to catch up and kick in befor you can read what you just typed. It is also finnicky as to which chargers it like to charge with.

What's more, it's space is all used up with music, apps, pics and vids. I'm afraid one day my wife will have a baby or something and I won't be able to take a pic because the phone is full.

Plus, I'm on a 3G network in and area with horrible coverage and need my email for work.

Honestly, I think I'm due for an upgrade. I'm sorry if that makes your head spin, Mahatma.

What are you doing to your phones to be "on their last legs" after just 3 years. I've had 5 phones since I got my first in 97, the best one ever being the Nokia 6110.

That's exactly one phone every three years.

What are you doing to your phones to be "on their last legs" after just 3 years. I've had 5 phones since I got my first in 97, the best one ever being the Nokia 6110.

That's exactly one phone every three years.

True. For the majority of those 15 years I had the 6110. Maybe they don't make them as they used to.

I don't think planned obsolescence comes into play as much as Moore's law in the case of smart phones. In three years a new phone is roughly 4x faster/ has 4x more storage, etc than your old one.

You don't need that new phone, but it sure would be nice.

I was mostly thinking about the new 19 pin connection on the iPhone 5 when I mentioned planned obsolescence, but yeah what you say is true.

Fwiw, after my contract with t-mobile is up, i'm gonna go back to a landline and just carry my tablet around. Lots of buses in town will have wifi next month and that's really the only place I get online w/ my phone anyway. +90 monies per month for me, now that's an upgrade :D

I never understood the need to get a new phone every 12-18 month. What are you doing to your phones to be "on their last legs" after just 3 years. I've had 5 phones since I got my first in 97, the best one ever being the Nokia 6110.

yeah fucking idiots I've still got the tin cans and string from my first ever "telephone" 30 years ago and it all works fine. what the hell is wrong with you people?

brilliant retort

lol at these apple threads. same thing every time...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm curious to see if a 4" screen will be all that more exciting than a 3.75" screen.

The S3 screen (4.8") is fantastic. I'm really curious to see what features the iPhone 5 will have. If it's only a slightly larger screen, and a fast CPU/more memory, I'll be disappointed. After playing with Androids, I realllllly like the home screen widgets.

As much as I've loved my 3Gs over these last 3 years, I am kind of bored with the Apple interface. I want more customization and features.

I like having a pos cell phone cause then I can ignore it and blame the phone for being a pos if anyone questions my absence. If you got one of those fancy newer phones, with the touch and ample g's you simply can't let phone/texts go unanswered these days with some people or they get their feelings hurt.

As much as I've loved my 3Gs over these last 3 years, I am kind of bored with the Apple interface. I want more customization and features.

agree 100%. I would live see more customization. there is no reason I need to have a folder of apps I can't delete next to apps I can't even put into a folder let alone delete.

agree 100%. I would live see more customization. there is no reason I need to have a folder of apps I can't delete next to apps I can't even put into a folder let alone delete.

the lack of customization on the lock screen is just ridiculous. i ended up jailbreaking mine just to be able to see weather, texts, emails, and whether my damn phone is on silent(?!) on the lock screen. i shouldn't have to turn on a light in the room i'm in or feel around on the phone to see that.

I like having a pos cell phone cause then I can ignore it and blame the phone for being a pos if anyone questions my absence. If you got one of those fancy newer phones, with the touch and ample g's you simply can't let phone/texts go unanswered these days with some people or they get their feelings hurt.

Nah man, just be like "Oh, I just put a new ROM on my phone and it's still in beta, so it's been acting pretty wonky" lol

Guest Franklin

"Damn, that's a really nice feature. Let's use that two models from now."

Style obsolescence

Marketing may be driven primarily by aesthetic design. Product categories in this case display a fashion cycle. By continually introducing new designs, and retargeting or discontinuing others, a manufacturer can "ride the fashion cycle". Such product categories include automobiles (style obsolescence), with a strict yearly schedule of new models; the almost entirely style-driven clothing industry (riding the fashion cycle); and the mobile phone industries with constant minor feature enhancements and restyling.

Planned style obsolescence occurs when marketers change the styling of products so customers will purchase products more frequently. The style changes are designed to make owners of the old model feel out of date.

when my wife and I bought the house we live in now, the kitchen had the original stove from the 50's. it was a hotpoint stove. that was the brand name. the previous owners were very meticulous people and I swear to god that 50+ year old stove was cleaner than our 1.5 year old one is right now. (we redid the kitchen when we moved in)

anyway, you never need to replace your stove because they were so well constructed. because of such superior products, the company went out of business because you only bought one and you were done.

Archived