IGNORED

Need advice from people who know mics, please

usagi

now this isn't really EKT material, but I'm in a situation where I'm being asked to pay for someone's mic repairs and, not knowing the first thing about them, I can't tell if I'm being cheated or not.

I recently met a friend of a friend at one of his supporting DJ gigs. I crashed at his place that night, at his invitation. while I was there, I accidentally knocked down a mic of his which was on a stand near his console/monitors. later, after I left, he messaged me to say the fall fucked up the mic, and the repair costs would be about $200 AUD ("for the part").

does this ring true to y'all or is it bullshit? I haven't seen this dude since so I don't know if the mic is actually damaged or not.

at the moment, I'm willing to pay half of the cost at most because, while I was responsible for knocking it over, the mic itself was not out of the way, it was near where people could brush up against it, especially drunk/hungover people after a long night. also the floor is carpeted and I don't remember it being a hard fall, though it could have struck the side of the desk on its way down or something...

any advice from folks here would be appreciated :flower:

it seems plausible that your friend is asking for a huge sum of money without giving any specifics...

it really does depend on the part but seems plausible if it really WAS damaged... who knows

Sorry to tell you usagi, it's entirely plausible... that's about a $700 mic, it's a large diaphragm tube mic (tube mics are never cheap). Capsules are fragile, and can break easily in a fall like that. If the capsule needs to be replaced that can be costly. However to your credit, he's kind of an idiot for leaving such an expensive mic out on the stand when it's not being used. Mics like that should ALWAYS be put back in the case when not being used to record. Hell any mic should, it's just common mic care.

does it seem plausible though?

Not really.

If I knocked over someone's $600-700 mic and then got a bill for $200, I'd be suspicious for sure.

Ask for a photocopy of an invoice or receipt or whatever.

Ask for a photocopy of an invoice or receipt or whatever.

Actually, this is good advice... Ask to see the receipt from repair so you know what exactly got fucked up and needed to be repaired. I still say it's unfortunately plausible.

• 1 year later...

Dude sounds like a fucking cunt. Fuck him off. I have never charged anyone for breaking my stuff, drunk or not.

If you want to keep him as a friend then go to the service centre with him and over to foot 50%+ of the bill. If he is adverse to this idea the lying scum can get stabbed.

this was like two years ago. haven't seen the bloke since. not a "friend" by the way, a friend of a friend. a frenemy. he never produced a receipt or anything so he didn't get shit.

uspagie u owe me 200 dollar plus interest compounded monthly over 2 year

thanx for reminding me fentorn

here is receipt:

"hi ur mike will costed $200 to repair the bit that has a condensor or something"

Archived