IGNORED

Post Your Most Recent Picture

Joyrex

yeah how would you describe that outfit jules?

pirate-y? gentlemangoth? i'm not having a go, just never really seen the likes before.

I call him my boy George, full pun intended. he had a sort of medieval thing going on for his wedding. he marches to his own drum, as well he should; he's an awesome drummer. but I have him a good ribbing for that outfit anyway, what kind of buddy would I be if I let him get away with it?

Guest Iain C

They're just out of shot, but I can confirm that my partner and I both had soft drinks. She had iced tea and I enjoyed a Coke.

Guest Iain C

I prefer it to "fiancee", because I hate French words. It sounds more committed than "girlfriend".

Naturally we've had extensive, hang-wringing discussions about how exactly to refer to each other, and this is what we've settled on.

Edited by Iain C

Oh, it's odd to think that that comment allowed us that window into the discussion you had with your wench about what to call her in relation to the context of your relationship.

(soz, lain, wench is cool though .. "my wench and i" .. and it denotes sex and is probably very english without the 90's PC upper middle class connotations)

I prefer it to "fiancee", because I hate French words. It sounds more committed than "girlfriend".

Naturally we've had extensive, hang-wringing discussions about how exactly to refer to each other, and this is what we've settled on.

i have to use it too occasionally but it makes me wince. some people say "life partner"!!!lolpuke

Guest Iain C

If you want to discuss etymology, let's go. Wench comes from old English and here's how it's been used historically:

late 13c., wenche "girl or young woman," shortened from wenchel "child" (12c.), from Old English wencel, probably related to wancol "unsteady, fickle, weak," and cognate with Old Norse vakr "child, weak person," Old High German wanchal "fickle." The word degenerated through being used in reference to servant girls, and by mid-14c. was being used in a sense of "woman of loose morals, mistress."

As you can see, it's not really an appropriate term to describe somebody who is an equal partner in a relationship. But "partner" does that job rather well. I don't have a specific problem with girlfriend as such (although she's a woman rather than a girl) but it implies to us something more ephemeral than our relationship, which is committed and long-term.

Fiancée might be more appropriate because we're getting married next year, but this is for a variety of complex social reasons (mostly to do with the older, more traditional members of her family) rather than any great belief in the importance of marriage. So "fiancee, husband, wife" seem a bit dishonest as it's not really how we see each other.

So partner is simply a less-loaded term. We're both word people and we think about this kind of thing - she's an English teacher in training, I'm a writer, we both study languages.For the record, neither of us are upper-middle class (she is from a working-class immigrant background, I'm from a rural lower-middle class area, state educated). But thanks for your concern, you typically Australian bellend.

Guest Iain C

some people say "life partner"!!!lolpuke

Does anybody actually say that, though? I've never heard it as anything other than satire, and I've known some right wanker hippies.

If you want to discuss etymology, let's go. Wench comes from old English and here's how it's been used historically:

late 13c., wenche "girl or young woman," shortened from wenchel "child" (12c.), from Old English wencel, probably related to wancol "unsteady, fickle, weak," and cognate with Old Norse vakr "child, weak person," Old High German wanchal "fickle." The word degenerated through being used in reference to servant girls, and by mid-14c. was being used in a sense of "woman of loose morals, mistress."

As you can see, it's not really an appropriate term to describe somebody who is an equal partner in a relationship. But "partner" does that job rather well. I don't have a specific problem with girlfriend as such (although she's a woman rather than a girl) but it implies to us something more ephemeral than our relationship, which is committed and long-term.

Fiancée might be more appropriate because we're getting married next year, but this is for a variety of complex social reasons (mostly to do with the older, more traditional members of her family) rather than any great belief in the importance of marriage. So "fiancee, husband, wife" seem a bit dishonest as it's not really how we see each other.

So partner is simply a less-loaded term. We're both word people and we think about this kind of thing - she's an English teacher in training, I'm a writer, we both study languages.For the record, neither of us are upper-middle class (she is from a working-class immigrant background, I'm from a rural lower-middle class area, state educated). But thanks for your concern, you typically Australian bellend.

You do realise that i was joking don't you. I personally don't mind what you call your dearest. I'll have to presume that you were just joking cause otherwise it seems like it's dump on dleetr day, and i'll go and have a cry. heh + -sie-

Anyway thanks for further explaining that. Is it her family that want the marriage or yours? Plenty of people live togeather in long term relationships without the expense of a marriage.

Guest Iain C

Of course I know you were joking - but the fact remains I wouldn't use that word - any excuse to dig out the etymology dictionary and talk about words though. And to call someone a bellend.

As for the marriage, it's mostly so we can move in together, something we've been putting off for ages. That'd be a big no-no for some of her more reactionary relatives who'd then make life difficult for her mum. For us, it's just a hoop we have to jump through.

some people say "life partner"!!!lolpuke

Does anybody actually say that, though? I've never heard it as anything other than satire, and I've known some right wanker hippies.

i've heard it used a few times without tongue in cheek... from fairly repugnant people, mind.