Conway's Game of Life Imitates Conway's Game of Life

Guest Wall Bird

Guest Wall Bird

This may be the craziest shit I've ever seen:

[youtubehd]xP5-iIeKXE8[/youtubehd]

Also, "Life" with floating point values:

[youtubehd]KJe9H6qS82I[/youtubehd]

Oh, wow. Nice vid.

Game of Life is also Turing complete so you could basically do any program that you could do with ordinary programming languages also with it. Well, disregarding the I/O but in a computational and algorithmic point of view.

I really want to know how long it would take to get things like this to form on their own. I wonder if a large grid could be built with independently operating cells (not operating on the processor of a computer controlling all cells), so that each cell would be able to change extremely fast, and one could get through billions upon billions of turns and see what happened. You could also do crazy stuff with rulesets if each one had its own rules or changing rules or something.

Dear God, that is a beautiful video.

I've been fascinated by Conway's GoL for years, but this is a whole new level of amazement. It really opens your mind to the recursive, endlessly growing nature of the universe, and shit.

Ever tried watching the Game of Life while listening to VI Scose Poise by Autechre? It's pretty lucid.

Archived