IGNORED

can we talk about Hype Williams?

vamos scorcho

I'm really interested in what these musicians are doing, I'm wondering if there are any other fans here.

I think Patten fits, James Ferraro as well. In fact, they are easily my favorite musicians right now, the ones, the ones who are very good and have a vision I appreciate.

I think in any other culture, they might be seen as the best thing since the original IDM era. Right now they disappear into the whatever, nobody knows wtf is going on.

i'm in for this. here's one below that i've come to enjoy rather alot. i like selected tracs from the hype williams as well, especially the one that's already been double posted above. i like their videos

[youtubehd]i6xGRpInZ0U[/youtubehd]

Hype Williams are great. James Ferraro on the other hand has well and truly fallen off the wagon IMHO. It all went downhill with "Night Dolls With Hairspray" which was a really bad record. I went to see him in February last year supporting it, which was one of the most shambolic live performances I've ever seen, which is a shame cause his live shows used to be brilliant. But this was just him playing tracks off a Discman with a bunch of annoying 19yo Upset The Rhythm hangers-on pretending to play guitar. Left a really bad taste in my mouth. And Far Side Virtual wasn't half as clever as it wanted to be - I kind of wonder if the music press suffered some sort of collective delusion about that record last year, cause Wire magazine loved it and I thought it was weak as hell.

Shame cause the stuff he was doing with Spencer Clark and the solo stuff from the same era was brilliant, I adored all those long fuzzy CDR jams. I understand the whole hypnagogic pop thing is over, over and dead, but I don't think James has replaced it with anything worth listening to.

Hype Williams are great. James Ferraro on the other hand has well and truly fallen off the wagon IMHO. It all went downhill with "Night Dolls With Hairspray" which was a really bad record. I went to see him in February last year supporting it, which was one of the most shambolic live performances I've ever seen, which is a shame cause his live shows used to be brilliant. But this was just him playing tracks off a Discman with a bunch of annoying 19yo Upset The Rhythm hangers-on pretending to play guitar. Left a really bad taste in my mouth. And Far Side Virtual wasn't half as clever as it wanted to be - I kind of wonder if the music press suffered some sort of collective delusion about that record last year, cause Wire magazine loved it and I thought it was weak as hell.

Shame cause the stuff he was doing with Spencer Clark and the solo stuff from the same era was brilliant, I adored all those long fuzzy CDR jams. I understand the whole hypnagogic pop thing is over, over and dead, but I don't think James has replaced it with anything worth listening to.

while farsidevirtual was only nice as a concept rather than an album, he's doing some new HD shit now, which i'm really digging. filmed his opening set for ariel pink

Theyre supporting Clark in 2 weeks. I might go.

booked my ticket the other day :)

Jacques Greene, Ital and oOoOO are playing the night before. I might go to both since it is a bank Holiday but stil....

Jacques Greene, Ital and oOoOO are playing the night before. I might go to both since it is a bank Holiday but stil....

fortunately i'm not familiar with any of them, so they shant' get my money

crazy how this time of year it always seems to be the best time for gigs

if ya book a ticket lettuce know so we can exchange an awkward wave from across the venue

fortunately i'm not familiar with any of them, so they shant' get my money

crazy how this time of year it always seems to be the best time for gigs

if ya book a ticket lettuce know so we can exchange an awkward wave from across the venue

Jacques Greene:

oOoOO:

Id like to go to both, but my poor mates will argue that we have seen Clark twice already. And they aint really interested in hype williams, which I am.

• 1 month later...

Off to see HYPE WILLIAMS this Saturday at the Tufnell Park Dome. 9pm, tix are £10 on the door, no advance booking. Hope I actually get in. Anyone else gonna be there?

• 3 years later...

Archived