IGNORED

Disney buys Lucasfilm

Rubin Farr

Disney and Lucasfilm are excited to announce that principal photography on Star Wars: Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams, will commence May 2014, and will be based at London's historic Pinewood Studios.

[...]

It has also been confirmed that Star Wars: Episode VII is set about 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, and will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces. No further details on casting or plot are available at this time.

We all kinda knew that last part... but hey... now we know that we know it.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This way they've all aged in approximation with their actors*. The wookie suit demonstrates the age of their race by being a little moth eaten. Also, luke shouldn't have aged, given the power of the force running through him, so a CG touch up will be in order. Perhaps also they could give Harrison Ford some meds to wake him up a little, lest we find the swashbuckling space trader moving at a deflated pace, as the kids wizz around him finding romance and hijacking the old man's ship in pursuit of adventure or to run away from some problem that they've encountered that they're too frightened to reveal to the uncool parents.

* - i wonder if they'll do this with harry potter in a few years (after she sells the franchise to the disney-universal-fox-viacomcast-netflicks corporation).

Yeah well. Shameless and could piss off the fan base, but on the other hand that cultural saturation was happening 30+ years ago when the first batch of films came out, so it shouldn't really shock anyone. After all it's a 'family' market into which a 'family' company is selling a 'family' movie so of course they are going to market it using their 'family' entertainment vehicles.

I kind of feel sorry for Billy Dee for having been roped into this particular sideshow, but he's a good sport it seems and certainly would have been paid well for his time.

Chewbacca died 25 ABY, I'm not sure if they will bring him back if they keep some sort of vague canon history 8-( But are they doing this for the exposure, hoping that they are going to be cast as a minor character in the next movies?

R2-D2 is the first confirmed character, but that surprises nobody.

It can't possibly turn out worse than the prequels, so I'm all for this shit. Star Wars as we knew it is ruined anyway.

Chewbacca died 25 ABY, I'm not sure if they will bring him back if they keep some sort of vague canon history 8-( But are they doing this for the exposure, hoping that they are going to be cast as a minor character in the next movies?

Where in the Star Wars timeline did Chewbacca die? Since Episode 7 takes place 30 years after Jedi, I'm assuming between then?

The rumour of "familiar faces" coming back make me think only Ford or Hamill would be worthwhile candidates to reprise their roles (although honestly Hamill looks pretty bad these days, despite being a cool guy and a great voice actor). I'd almost just mention them, and not ever show them - it would be like when they tried with the Next Generation Star Trek movies they tried bringing Kirk and Bones back in, and it was just a bit sad.

It wasn't sad, they rule. Also what's with the ageist comments!! They are distinguished elders. And about Hamill, he was never good looking and a least he can't speak normally these days. Ford seems slightly out of it in interviews i've seen with him in the past couple of years.

Where in the Star Wars timeline did Chewbacca die? Since Episode 7 takes place 30 years after Jedi, I'm assuming between then?

The rumour of "familiar faces" coming back make me think only Ford or Hamill would be worthwhile candidates to reprise their roles (although honestly Hamill looks pretty bad these days, despite being a cool guy and a great voice actor). I'd almost just mention them, and not ever show them - it would be like when they tried with the Next Generation Star Trek movies they tried bringing Kirk and Bones back in, and it was just a bit sad.

It was in one of the books, but if they retcon the whole EU, then Chewie might still be alive.

Btw Bones wasn't in ST Generations, it was Kirk, Chekov and Scotty.

It was in one of the books, but if they retcon the whole EU, then Chewie might still be alive.

Btw Bones wasn't in ST Generations, it was Kirk, Chekov and Scotty.

I *saw* Bones being led by somebody (Data)? In Next Generation - perhaps it wasn't the movie, but the TV series (so long ago these days) - yes, he was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2udr7REMHPA

okay I am calling it!

it shall be named

Star Wars episode VII: Rise of the Force

or Light of the Force,

something with the Force in it.

or

Star Wars episode VII: Clone of the Binks

Well.... Jar-Jar binks isn't dead, he actually might be in the new movies!

Wait, did they say that? I would have thought based on how old he was (an adult Gungan) in the prequels, by the time this 3rd trilogy comes around (set 30 years after the second trilogy), he would have been too old an died of old age. How old are Gungans supposed to live?

If he he hadn't died yet they should have hired boba fett to go round and finish him off.

Hey, i gotta message from my boss, special delivery

mee so harpy, mee so liking presents

BANG

the idea that an entire planet would democratically elect jar jar binks as their representative after padme stepped down boggles the mind.

he literally says "dellow felagates" when speaking to the senate. :mellow:

Archived