IGNORED

Disney buys Lucasfilm

Rubin Farr

I really don't understand why the original trilogy are held up on a pedestal.

Everything about the star wars universe is annoying and stupid. First of all, the universe is LITERALLY black and white. I'm amazed that doesn't bother anyone else. Not only are the villains totally unrelatetable. Not only are the enemy soldiers nameless and faceless. They are from the "dark" side. Oooohhhh.

Secondly, the entire force gimmick is based around the terrible idea that you should trust your gut on everything to unleash your inner superpower. That's the kind of crap you can only get rid of if you openly embrace the idiocy of your story. Dragonball can get away with that. Star Wars tries to, while still taking itself seriously. It's a total feel good message. I can't hear "the force" without thinking that's how Bush won the election. He trusted his gut more than Gore.

Thirdly, lightsabers are idiotic. You have a sci-fi story where the characters use swords instead of guns, and they try to pass it off as more effective than the guns. It's an obvious ploy to try to squeeze sword fighting into a world where that would be totally implausible.

And fourthly, the constant element of the weak few overpowering the strong many is really irritating. It can be exciting when you can really follow the action, and you can see how the weak few outsmarted the strong many, or how the strong many left open a weakness due to hubris, but when the Ewok's defeated the stormtroopers using logs? C'mon, people, those movies were stupid.

Oh, also the acting was terrible with the exception of Alec Guinness, and he died early on.

And C3PO is the worst character ever.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the original star wars even good movies or just a nostalgia thing ?

I watched about 20 minutes of each movie and i had to turned them off because they were so shit i couldn't believe grown men cry over this bullshit.

in total agreement.

I'm old enough to have been roped in by the Star Wars bullshit, but while my friends were watching Star Wars and Transformers The Movie, I was too busy watching Aliens, The Terminator and RoboCop.

I watched the Star Wars films as an adult, having not been bothered with them as a kid, and they're not that great. In fact I thought they were aimed towards kids, funnily enough.

not even trolling here.

you're 28/29 right? not old enough. i'm the same age and i remember aliens, terminator and robocop being like legendary films that kids talked about watching or wanted to watch seeing as they had the toys anyway. don't remember anyone giving a fuck about star wars. but maybe it wasn't like that wherever you were at.

I saw those films by the time I was 5. My peers at that age were watching Star Wars and were not allowed to watch the films I had been watching.

Also, the Aliens and Terminator toys didn't come around until about 1993-1994, at which time I was 10-11. Granted, the RoboCop toys came out a bit earlier but not much earlier. Certainly not when I was 5.

So my point still stands.

i had the toys when i was 1 (watched the films whne i was a few months).. how do you explain that eh

the stuff you take seriously though, man.. madness

Guest Frankie5fingers

Forget it, guys, Frankie5fingers has all everything related to Star Wars.

its funny you say that cause i actually was a bout to go off on Root5 but didn't cause i felt that its been too soon since the last time i did one of my "moments" lol

I watched about 20 minutes of each movie and i had to turned them off because they were so shit i couldn't believe grown men cry over this bullshit.

in total agreement.

I'm old enough to have been roped in by the Star Wars bullshit, but while my friends were watching Star Wars and Transformers The Movie, I was too busy watching Aliens, The Terminator and RoboCop.

I watched the Star Wars films as an adult, having not been bothered with them as a kid, and they're not that great. In fact I thought they were aimed towards kids, funnily enough.

not even trolling here.

you're 28/29 right? not old enough. i'm the same age and i remember aliens, terminator and robocop being like legendary films that kids talked about watching or wanted to watch seeing as they had the toys anyway. don't remember anyone giving a fuck about star wars. but maybe it wasn't like that wherever you were at.

I saw those films by the time I was 5. My peers at that age were watching Star Wars and were not allowed to watch the films I had been watching.

Also, the Aliens and Terminator toys didn't come around until about 1993-1994, at which time I was 10-11. Granted, the RoboCop toys came out a bit earlier but not much earlier. Certainly not when I was 5.

i had the toys when i was 1 (watched the films whne i was a few months).. how do you explain that eh

I take facts seriously, yeah.

Especially when someone is trying to claim fiction as fact, in an argument against facts I've presented.

Forget it, guys, Frankie5fingers has all everything related to Star Wars.

its funny you say that cause i actually was a bout to go off on Root5 but didn't cause i felt that its been too soon since the last time i did one of my "moments" lol

I'd actually be interested in hearing an impassioned defense of Star Wars. It might give me some perspective on why people love the original trilogy so much, beyond simply "I liked rocket ships and fighting teddy bears when I was a kid".

Everything about the star wars universe is annoying and stupid. First of all, the universe is LITERALLY black and white. I'm amazed that doesn't bother anyone else. Not only are the villains totally unrelatetable. Not only are the enemy soldiers nameless and faceless. They are from the "dark" side. Oooohhhh.

Secondly, the entire force gimmick is based around the terrible idea that you should trust your gut on everything to unleash your inner superpower. That's the kind of crap you can only get rid of if you openly embrace the idiocy of your story. Dragonball can get away with that. Star Wars tries to, while still taking itself seriously. It's a total feel good message. I can't hear "the force" without thinking that's how Bush won the election. He trusted his gut more than Gore.

Thirdly, lightsabers are idiotic. You have a sci-fi story where the characters use swords instead of guns, and they try to pass it off as more effective than the guns. It's an obvious ploy to try to squeeze sword fighting into a world where that would be totally implausible.

And fourthly, the constant element of the weak few overpowering the strong many is really irritating. It can be exciting when you can really follow the action, and you can see how the weak few outsmarted the strong many, or how the strong many left open a weakness due to hubris, but when the Ewok's defeated the stormtroopers using logs? C'mon, people, those movies were stupid.

Oh, also the acting was terrible with the exception of Alec Guinness, and he died early on.

spoken truly like somebody that (most probably) never saw them as a kid and is now too old and jaded, or just too cool, to ever enjoy it and understand anything about it at all. which is sad.

I feel a bit sorry for these people really, because they've missed out on something special.

I'd actually be interested in hearing an impassioned defense of Star Wars. It might give me some perspective on why people love the original trilogy so much, beyond simply "I liked rocket ships and fighting teddy bears when I was a kid".

like yek said before, basically it either clicks with you or it doesn't. you either get it and like it or you don't and you think it's cheesy rubbish.

spoken truly like somebody that (most probably) never saw them as a kid and is now too old and jaded, or just too cool, to ever enjoy it and understand anything about it at all. which is sad.

I feel a bit sorry for these people really, because they've missed out on something special.

You do realise that you're just confirming that Star Wars advocacy is mostly about nostalgia, right?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I love the original TRON film, and I totally acknowledge that the only reason I love that film is because of nostalgic love. If a newcomer to that film were to watch it today, they'd be bored shitless.

I'm actually one of those rare people who saw the films as a kid and loved them, but then changed his mind when he grew up. I'm actually too young to have seen them when they came out, I'm in my early 20s, but I saw repeats in the cinema.

in total agreement.

not even trolling here.

I take facts seriously, yeah.

Especially when someone is trying to claim fiction as fact, in an argument against facts I've presented.

:(

You do realise that you're just confirming that Star Wars advocacy is mostly about nostalgia, right?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I love the original TRON film, and I totally acknowledge that the only reason I love that film is because of nostalgic love. If a newcomer to that film were to watch it today, they'd be bored shitless.

yeah. I think if I was to see SW's now for the first time ever, starting with phantom menace, there's a high chance i'd think it was all shit, lol.. and TPM is shit, imo. so watching that first and the other 2 prequels would just fuck my view/perspective of the others. which is what I think's happened to lots of people.

that and they've basically read and been swayed by other peoples/friends reviews and opinions and decided/agreed that they hate it too, beforehand, like 303, who actually hasn't watched any one of the films all the way through but hates it all anyway. which is sad.

JFTR, I hardly like anything at all about the newer ones. I also like/d Robocop & Terminator (1&2).

never got into Alien, though. but can appreciate all the sets/props/costume and sound, though.

I can understand how if you were born in the 90s or late 80s that maybe it doesn't connect.

As someone who was born in the late 70s, I can say that the original trilogy was a big part of my childhood.

I just remember a lot of playing outdoors as a kid and pretending we were characters in the films.

There was usually a brief, preliminary debate as to who was who. Depending on how many kids were playing, it usually worked out perfectly.

The girl would of course be Leia. If there was more than one girl, the leftovers would pretend they were C3P0 or R2D2.

Guys usually were ok being either Luke, Han or Chewbacca (in worst case scenario).

If it was Winter, you were on the frozen planet, Hoth.

If you were in the woods, you were on the forest planet, Endor.

If you were on a sandy playground, you were on desert planet Tatooine.

If you were on a jungle gym, you could be on the Death Star or the Millennium Falcon.

It was just part of your childhood.

Something tells me that kids may not play like that anymore. If they do, I'm curious if there is an ensemble cast of some other saga, such as Harry Potter, that they can pretend they are in outdoor play... if kids still even play outdoors.

The whole thing makes me feel old and sad.

Again, I can understand that Lucas is, at the end of the day, a human being and a savvy businessman. I just wish he wasn't also a cunt.

just no more jar jar disney, i mean, don't kid it down too much.

The whole point of the original Star Wars movies was to sell merchandise to kids, why do people hate jar jar so much?, it was created with the same purpose as the original characters.

Also Star Wars is a kid franchise, just because grown men like it doesn't change the fact.

The original movie was not created to sell merchandise - Lucas just had good luck in requesting he get half the merchandising rights, and when it was a huge success, he saw the fortune in his serendipitous decision.

what i never understood about Doku setting up the clone army is what the fucking shit? I still don't understand it and i've seen Clone Wars like 3 times. Not to mention that clearly in the original trilogy the stormtroopers were NOT clones, they all had different voices acted with their own personalities but now we're supposed to believe they are clones? You can't retcon something that drastic into a beloved franchise. If Doku created the army, why would the republic use it then? Wouldn't they know it was designed for nefarious purposes. The plot in all 3 movies is an absolute mess, i still don't understand how George Lucas fucked it up so badly. I also feel like Lucas didn't know quite to do with the Sith either as a concept, in part 1 he made Darth Maul look like some kind of alien dude. Then as the films progressed it became clear that sith was not any type of race but it was simply a bad jedi. Well who the fuck are they? what is their history? and no im not going to let anybody refer to a novel or comic book to explain it to me. The star wars universe as far as im concerned is contained in the 6 movies.

edit: In Jedi and Empire we assume either the Emperor is also some kind of alien or he's just really fucking old. You can only imagine my disappointment when in Revenge of the Sith he get's hit with lightning (just like Luke does in Jedi) and all of the sudden looks all wrinkled and old. I mean jesus christ George

I guess you haven't paid attention to George's tinkering with the original trilogy - he made all the Stormtrooper voices in episodes IV-VI match Jango Fett/prequel Clone Troopers.

Dooku, who was being influenced by Sidious, in turn used Sifo-Dyas (which was never really explained that well, IMO) to get the cloners on Kamino to create the clone army for the Republic - once Sifo-Dyas (a respected member of the Jedi Council) served his purpose, Dooku killed him so he wouldn't mention any of it - here's the thing though - WHY would a member of the Jedi Council go and do something unilateral like that, without consulting the Council beforehand? Very poor, and convoluted plot device. He could have made Dooku pretend to act on the behalf of the council (hell, he was a respected Jedi at one point), rather than throw in this Jedi Council member nobody ever sees or gets mentioned after the fact.

I don't see why Darth Maul being an alien had anything to do with him being a Sith; the Star Wars universe has always had many races (Yoda is a Jedi and not a humanoid, so why couldn't Maul be a Sith and not be human?). Episode II clearly shows that the Sith can be any race, as Dooku, once a Jedi, turns to the Dark Side and becomes a Sith. There's your in-movie explanation.

I'm sorry but both (yours and the previous posters) of these explanations attempted still are incoherent to me, and these movies are made for kids? Who in the fuck is Sifo Dyas? A character we never get to see or encounter? And Dooku was a jedia at some point or not? So the person who created the clones is someone we never get to see on screen? And the person by proxy who did it we see on screen for such short bursts of time he has zero character development. So bizarre.

And i don't trust the Lucas 'in movie explanation' from anything having to do with the Sith or the 'Clones' in the new trilog. Clearly he changed his mind after the original trilogy was made. I guess what i was asking was, based on simply the original trilogy, what can we gather is a sith? In the original trilogy i don't recall it being a 'bad jedi' he seems to have invented that later, same with the idea of the storm troopers being clones

Come on guys, Star Wars is better than Aliens/Terminator1-2

If you want to talk about thin Hollywood crap, look no further than Cameron's entire career. Rewatching Aliens is a chore. I like it, I really do, but it's a chore. Overrated.

I definitely think it's good to question icons like Darth Vader though. I mean, yeah. I don't know if it's nostalgia or what. I just know that I personally think they're god movies, I could watch all of them right now, and I like them a lot. I'm not a fanatic, but I know deep down that they are good, well made films that mean something to me. They are important.

Lord of the Rings 1-3? Utter trash. Complete shit compared to Star Wars.

Harry Potter films? Same thing. Shit, no art, no imagination.

The original Star Wars films are works of the imagination, with a sort of Shakespearean element to them. The science of the fiction was really cool and cutting edge, ALA 2001/Alien1. It stands up over time. The SOUNDS were awesome. The tie fighters, the X-Wings. I mean, I remember ALL of this shit without having seen the movies in a while. Like, every scene is iconic. "Use the force" and then blow up the fuckin' death star. The AT-AT walkers in the snow getting pulled down by the spaceships. HAN SOLO saving LUKE by stuffing him in one of those creatures to keep him warm. Fighting the beast in the ice cave. Yoda teaching Luke to pull his ship out of the water. The monster in the trash machine that almost kills them.

Return of the Jedi is just as good as the others, from what I've seen recently. The whole thing with Jabba and fighting him and all that. The showdown between Luke and Vader, and seeing Vader's face at the end. There are plenty more things that are awesome. "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope."

Even if you hate Star Wars... this is absolutely hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz550T3QeAo

I still get chills when I watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-KR-14uXM

I'm with you there. The way the whole romance develops between them is beautiful... and then just seeing the betrayal is fucked up. Great way to start Return of the Jedi though... when you're in the desert going to kill Jabba with the monster in the basement that eats pigs.

As for the Harrison quote... I love Han Solo and The Fugitive and Indiana Jones and his appearance in Apoc-Now...... but Ford seems to have developed into a miserable old man!!! He's never played "interesting characters." Han Solo is his best character by far. Honestly if the prequels had never happened, nobody would be questioning Star Wars. It's attracted dirt and filth that taints the name so people get confused and can't see the truth.

As for the Harrison quote... I love Han Solo and The Fugitive and Indiana Jones and his appearance in Apoc-Now...... but Ford seems to have developed into a miserable old man!!! He's never played "interesting characters." Han Solo is his best character by far. Honestly if the prequels had never happened, nobody would be questioning Star Wars. It's attracted dirt and filth that taints the name so people get confused and can't see the truth.

I'm with you on all of that.

I should have clarified that it was the last line of the interview that was spot on.

Come on guys, Star Wars is better than Aliens/Terminator1-2

If you want to talk about thin Hollywood crap, look no further than Cameron's entire career. Rewatching Aliens is a chore. I like it, I really do, but it's a chore. Overrated.

I completely agree.

Archived