IGNORED

Disney buys Lucasfilm

Rubin Farr

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original 2 (and arguably 3) Star Wars movies were fantastic. I don't think you have to have "been there."

Prequels were utter dreck.

I'm going to have to second this. I rewatched the first two Star Wars films recently having not seen them since I was really young and they really are great films I think. I would describe why but I'm not trying to argue anyones opinion otherwise. I don't think it's a nostalgic thing with the originals. Not seen Jedi in ages though.

Just sounds like big business, doesn't tug at any strings of mine whatsoever. I was never that into Star Wars. I mean there were a couple scenes that were kinda cool mood-wise like the cantina and in the desert with the creepy mouth thing, but I never really got into the story. I watched THX 1138 when I was in college and I liked that a lot better. You know my steez

without Lucas at the helm, they might actually be good...?

yeah, my thoughts too.

you'll see, he won't be able to keep his little fingers out of his pies and disney will have him aboard, producing or whatnot. the majority of the original cast is still alive are they not? carrie fisher is loony bins?

they're all still alive, yeah. well, the main 3 (Luke, Leia, Han). dunno about anybody else. though Carrie Fisher is somewhat 'washed up' now, innit.

yeah, my thoughts too.

you'll see, he won't be able to keep his little fingers out of his pies and disney will have him aboard, producing or whatnot. the majority of the original cast is still alive are they not? carrie fisher is loony bins?

they're all still alive, yeah. well, the main 3 (Luke, Leia, Han). dunno about anybody else. though Carrie Fisher is somewhat 'washed up' now, innit.

yes and she's fond of her electric shock dildo

yeah, my thoughts too.

Actually, the entire original cast is still alive, but hardly in any shape to reprise their roles, I'd say. They've said they're basing Episodes 7-9 off Lucas' original treatments, and they're "keeping him 'close' as an advisor to ensure they stay true to his vision."

Oh, FFS. Just when I had hope...

Mark Hamill - amazing voice actor nowadays, but not pretty to see in real life. Starting to look like the Emperor in his early days.

Harrison Ford - if anyone could reprise their role as an elder version, Ford could - but he probably won't. I think the whole Indy 4 experience taught him a lesson, unless Disney throws money bags at him.

Carrie Fisher - looks nothing like she did, and she's batshit insane to boot, so no going there, methinks.

Peter Mayhew - since he was in a suit the whole trilogy (Chewbacca), he could still do it, I suppose.

David Prowse - Can Darth Vader walk with a cane? Oh wait, his character is dead. Nevermind...

Kenny Baker - R2D2 can be done with CGI, so no real reason to make the poor old sod suffer in a can on wheels anymore.

Anthony Daniels - He probably still could, considering he's the only actor to appear in all six films at the same character.

James Earl Jones - Voices from the past? Nah, he would talk with whiny Hayden Christensen's voice now.

Natalie Portman - Dead character, so probably not.

Ewan McGregor - Dead character, plus he probably wouldn't touch the franchise with a ten foot poll anymore.

Samuel Jackson - Dead character, but he'd probably do anything.

Frank Oz - Sure, Yoda's dead, but he never really got any Force Ghost flashbacks, so why not? Just a voice anyways, since now he's CGI.

Billy Dee Williams - YES - bring back Lando as an ancient space pimp!

Guest Frankie5fingers

i havent been keeping up. so there are going to be more movies? are they gonna be after 6? or would it be like thousands of years later? cause right after 6 in the books a lot of shit goes down with luke.

@ frankie5fingers: Yes, 7-9. Apparently George Lucas is involved to make sure it'll all be shit.

Guest Frankie5fingers

damn, that sucks. why can't the man leave the movie alone. not even disney money could save them. it will suck.

its nice to be part of a community that equally hates george lucas as much as i do. lol

i havent been keeping up. so there are going to be more movies? are they gonna be after 6? or would it be like thousands of years later? cause right after 6 in the books a lot of shit goes down with luke.

yeah man. eps 7-9.

oopps, yeah, what Gocab said. :)

Are the original star wars even good movies or just a nostalgia thing ?

I watched about 20 minutes of each movie and i had to turned them off because they were so shit i couldn't believe grown men cry over this bullshit.

in total agreement.

I'm old enough to have been roped in by the Star Wars bullshit, but while my friends were watching Star Wars and Transformers The Movie, I was too busy watching Aliens, The Terminator and RoboCop.

I watched the Star Wars films as an adult, having not been bothered with them as a kid, and they're not that great. In fact I thought they were aimed towards kids, funnily enough.

not even trolling here.

you're 28/29 right? not old enough. i'm the same age and i remember aliens, terminator and robocop being like legendary films that kids talked about watching or wanted to watch seeing as they had the toys anyway. don't remember anyone giving a fuck about star wars. but maybe it wasn't like that wherever you were at.

Are the original star wars even good movies or just a nostalgia thing ?

I watched about 20 minutes of each movie and i had to turned them off because they were so shit i couldn't believe grown men cry over this bullshit.

in total agreement.

I'm old enough to have been roped in by the Star Wars bullshit, but while my friends were watching Star Wars and Transformers The Movie, I was too busy watching Aliens, The Terminator and RoboCop.

I watched the Star Wars films as an adult, having not been bothered with them as a kid, and they're not that great. In fact I thought they were aimed towards kids, funnily enough.

not even trolling here.

you're 28/29 right? not old enough. i'm the same age and i remember aliens, terminator and robocop being like legendary films that kids talked about watching or wanted to watch seeing as they had the toys anyway. don't remember anyone giving a fuck about star wars. but maybe it wasn't like that wherever you were at.

I saw those films by the time I was 5. My peers at that age were watching Star Wars and were not allowed to watch the films I had been watching.

Also, the Aliens and Terminator toys didn't come around until about 1993-1994, at which time I was 10-11. Granted, the RoboCop toys came out a bit earlier but not much earlier. Certainly not when I was 5.

So my point still stands.

lol i guess you didn't read what I wrote which implied that pretty much every movie spaceship has modeled itself after the stylistic approach in 2001.

2001 is a great movie too ok?

*waits for militant, aggressive nerds incapable of critical analysis to calm down*

The new movies will not follow the "Heir To The Empire" series of books, which were written by Timothy Zhan, and not Lucas. They're going to take rough treatments Lucas prepared ages ago, and flesh them out into full narratives.

Hopefully Lucas will preoccupy himself with his own pet projects and leave Disney and the writers to their own devices and hopefully the writers to be chosen will be aware of what made the original three movies special and try and capture that without resorting to fart jokes and obvious marketing tie-ins.

i'm starting to wonder what's wrong with me, because i'm excited for more movies. it's mostly nostalgia, obviously, but there's always that bit of (new) hope that they won't be shit.

they'll be shit.

I'm a bit meh on it, but I would be curious to see them, and hope they are good. What would be ironic is if Disney got it's own taste of Star Wars revisionism and reboot the whole franchise, with new actors, and only loosely adhere to the plot and mechanics of the first six films.

Who would make a good Luke Skywalker these days? Another relatively unknown actor like Hamill was at the time?

Guest Frankie5fingers

The new movies will not follow the "Heir To The Empire" series of books, which were written by Timothy Zhan, and not Lucas. They're going to take rough treatments Lucas prepared ages ago, and flesh them out into full narratives.

Hopefully Lucas will preoccupy himself with his own pet projects and leave Disney and the writers to their own devices and hopefully the writers to be chosen will be aware of what made the original three movies special and try and capture that without resorting to fart jokes and obvious marketing tie-ins.

ok, that make more sense. id actually like that a lot too but i doubt thatll happen. it doesn't look like disney is going to "take over." just that theyll own Lucas Arts. itll be the same crew working on the movies. so basically, the same potential for a shit movie with everything you say. fart jokes and tie-ins. unless i missed something saying that Disney will gut the company and replace it with new employes.

Archived