IGNORED

Disney buys Lucasfilm

Rubin Farr

When the first Star Wars movie was released it BLEW EVERYBODYS MIIINDS! It was revolutionary. Everything went to shiiiit!

Well, you can also say the same thing about that 15 second movie of the moving train that they showed people back in 1890.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point i was trying to make i guess is that Star Wars was a great achievement in special effects for that time so it blew kids' mind, but it was a shit movie with a shit story. The only reason Star Wars remains popular its because human beings are capable of feeling nostalgic.

The point i was trying to make i guess is that Star Wars was a great achievement in special effects for that time so it blew kids' mind, but it was a shit movie with a shit story. The only reason Star Wars remains popular its because human beings are capable of feeling nostalgic.

It's a simple, effective story, with lots of stolen/borrowed elements from

earlier movies in a fantasic universe. A bit like Tarantino.

People cared for the caracter and the suspense and the adventure. Great entertainment.

It wasn't shit. It was the shit!

Kinda feel sad to see him let go of his baby, but that's capitalism!

It just shows once and for all that GL doesn't have an artistic bone in his body. If he did, it was prior to the release of the first SW.

THX1138 was cool. Then he must have had some good ideas for the SW saga. He made the first one (A New Hope) and presumably caught the money bug.

After Empire Strikes Back, he figured, "Fuck it. I'm in the wrong game."

I guess you can't fault the guy for seizing an opportunity he created, but you can call him a soulless hack.

I can't understand how anyone could fault the plot or characterization of the first couple films. Yes, he borrowed liberally from other sources (Kurosawa for one), but he managed to make them his own. Each character was distinct and memorable, including the non-human characters like chewbacca and the droids. The story is great and timeless, sure it's archetypal but not, I think, in a brainless way.

The Dig: The Movie, plz

Seeing as The Dig came about from an idea Spielberg had for an Amazing Stories episode never filmed, that's not such a stretch. Make it happen Disney!

Considering it's considered a valid religion in Australia (from what I've read, people identify "Jedi" as their religion on surveys)...

yeah, same over here in the UK. it is a recognized thing/religion now, people were saying they're Jedi's on the census/recent surveys & polls 'n shit... which I think is great, and very funny. :)

edit: just for a laugh, mind. they're not reeeeeeally Jedi's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

It didn't get recognised btw. Sorry to disappoint.

HOLY FUCK!

It just hit me.

Either I'm slow, or I'm a complete genius...

222578_10151117088792361_354263890_n.jpg

Mickey_Logo.gif

:cisfor:

:lol:

brilliant (really).

Considering it's considered a valid religion in Australia (from what I've read, people identify "Jedi" as their religion on surveys)...

yeah, same over here in the UK. it is a recognized thing/religion now, people were saying they're Jedi's on the census/recent surveys & polls 'n shit... which I think is great, and very funny. :)

edit: just for a laugh, mind. they're not reeeeeeally Jedi's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

It didn't get recognised btw. Sorry to disappoint.

oh, thought it did.

no bother :)

i think with the star wars movies it either clicks with you or it doesn't. there's more to the early star wars movies to me than fx, it's everything...

yeah.

really I can't understand how anybody can't like/get it (the originals of course), like lumpenprol says.

but each to their own.

Yeah don't laugh too hard buddy, you take Jedi Philosophy seriously.

err, yeah didn't actually say i take it seriously did i, dick.

You said one of the best things about the star wars movies was the Jedi Philosophy which according to my research is just a bunch of bullshit soundbites combined with make believe supernatural bullshit.

As a grown human being you should not even entertain the idea of taking Jedi Philosophy seriously.

Shall I hand out lightsabers to you two - weapons from a more civilized time, of course. Not as clumsy as a banhammer.

I'm sorry man but i can't believe a guy said one of the best things about star wars is jedi philosophy, i had to say something.

Shall I hand out lightsabers to you two - weapons from a more civilized time, of course. Not as clumsy as a banhammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR1n_bUeXHg

Actually, Sirch has a point - one of the most famous lines from Empire Strikes Back, "No - Do or Do Not. There Is No Try" reinforces the whole philosophy and has inspired probably millions of people, so I would have to agree that the philosophy (in general) of the movies was a major part of the story and did have an effect on people.

That was one of the few good scenes from Episode III.

This is more about toys, video games and other merchandise than films for Disney, just like when they bought Marvel.

Yeah, I wonder if Disney will yank Hasbro's license to make Star Wars, or continue as-is and just rake in the revenue?

I can't understand how anyone could fault the plot or characterization of the first couple films. Yes, he borrowed liberally from other sources (Kurosawa for one), but he managed to make them his own. Each character was distinct and memorable, including the non-human characters like chewbacca and the droids. The story is great and timeless, sure it's archetypal but not, I think, in a brainless way.

totally. Take one intro to screenwriting class (not that I have) but star wars follows almost every plot archetype of a fish out of water adventure tale. Flawless execution really. Additionally, the basic rules of visual storytelling are so "dumb" in a way in the first two films that it's hard to really fault them (ie blockade runner dwarfed by star destroyer, carbonite chamber duel as a murky, unclear battle of father son figuring each other out for the first time, moves to a clear sharp wind tunnel as all is revealed. Honestly a intro to film class just with star wars would be pretty cool cause it references SOO many other previous films and filmmakers (hidden fortress, 2001, blah blah)

edit: tl;dr yo303 shut up

Actually, Sirch has a point - one of the most famous lines from Empire Strikes Back, "No - Do or Do Not. There Is No Try" reinforces the whole philosophy and has inspired probably millions of people, so I would have to agree that the philosophy (in general) of the movies was a major part of the story and did have an effect on people.

*nods head slowly*

Thank you, Master Joyrex. :emotawesomepm9:

totally. Take one intro to screenwriting class (not that I have) but star wars follows almost every plot archetype of a fish out of water adventure tale. Flawless execution really. Additionally, the basic rules of visual storytelling are so "dumb" in a way in the first two films that it's hard to really fault them (ie blockade runner dwarfed by star destroyer, carbonite chamber duel as a murky, unclear battle of father son figuring each other out for the first time, moves to a clear sharp wind tunnel as all is revealed. Honestly a intro to film class just with star wars would be pretty cool cause it references SOO many other previous films and filmmakers (hidden fortress, 2001, blah blah)

edit: tl;dr yo303 shut up

wait, wait.

I wanna hear this.

How exactly does Star Wars reference 2001?

are... are you serious?

sd17.jpg

discovery.jpg

hmm in my mind 2001 pretty much sets the standard for that classic "spaceship" look mix of smooth grey siding with chunky "rough" edges... maybe it's just so standard these days that we don't even notice it. Pre 2001 most spaceships looked like this

The-cover-of-the-Tintin-a-002.jpg

Are you serious?

So those stills are referencing 2001 because they have a ship in space?

the first video was footage from 2001, I gave up after 35 seconds because it was footage from 2001 and had terrible music

the second video is again, footage of space.

without Lucas at the helm, they might actually be good...?

yeah, my thoughts too.

you'll see, he won't be able to keep his little fingers out of his pies and disney will have him aboard, producing or whatnot. the majority of the original cast is still alive are they not? carrie fisher is loony bins?

Are you serious?

So those stills are referencing 2001 because they have a ship in space?

the first video was footage from 2001, I gave up after 35 seconds because it was footage from 2001 and had terrible music

the second video is again, footage of space.

Ok I'll just describe it then.

So you start with a black backdrop (space) and you have a spaceship slowly entering the frame. Both directors didn't start with an establishing shot because they want you to have zero concept of the scale of the ship. Kubrick's enters and just keeps going and going with each module repeating. the scene seems to extend on, like the ship forever until finally you can see it in it's entirety. The star destroyer similarly works like that, this time entering from the top of the frame (used to visually indicate its dominance over the rebels) starting as a small triangle and then taking up more and more of the frame until it completely occupies the entire space.

So again, Star Wars using this establishing the object by letting it slowly enter the frame, building the anticipation of it's eventual scale and size... it like a direct reference to 2001 (it's a spaceship too ffs)

ALSO the stylistic design of the star destroyer (and millenium falcon, nostromo, blah blah battlestar galactica) is taking design cues from discovery one. Like I said obviously the monochromatic finish is the exact same, and with these simple geometric shapes as smooth surfaces, balanced with the more rough "pockmarked" shapes, the long repeated modules of the discovery, and the border rim of the star destroyer, or the whole look of the falcon, is obviously stylistically borrowed. Also the engine exhausts both start with a simple geometric shape for the frame with a dark circle in the middle: individual hexagons in 2001, and then a rhombus with three circles for star wars. Is it really THAT hard to see?

edit: oh yeah also the large circular antennae dominating the top of the discovery one are again referenced for the top two globes at the top of the star destroyer

Archived