IGNORED

How To Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion

Guest swerZZZ

Guest swerZZZ

tumblr_mhhzmr8LF01qbl7hpo1_1280.jpg

Album in stores March 5th on digital/vinyl/CD.

Track list for CD/digital:

01 The wake-up
02 Keep it together
03 And the sky began to scream
04 Welcome oblivion
05 Ice age
06 On the wing
07 Too late, all gone
08 How long?
09 Strings and attractors
10 We fade away
11 Recursive self-improvement
12 The loop closes
13 Hallowed ground

Track list for vinyl (includes two extra tracks):

01 The wake-up
02 Keep it together
03 And the sky began to scream
04 Ice age
05 Welcome oblivion
06 On the wing
07 Too late, all gone
08 The province of fear
09 How long?
10 Strings and attractors
11 Recursive self-improvement
12 Unintended consequences
13 We fade away
14 The loop closes
15 Hallowed ground

Vinyl edition will include a free white label CD of the vinyl version of the album.

Pre-order from us coming mid-February.

https://soundcloud.com/howtodestroyangels/how-long

+ Video: http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/01/30/170687806/trent-reznor-new-band-new-song-new-video-still-terrifying

I dont like new track, but album still the most interesting release for me. And EXAI.

my god this is fucking horrible, it sounds like Trent Reznor producing a Christina Aguilera album, holy shit guy what happened to you. I liked you better even during the steroid thick necked era when you spent hundreds of thousands on overpriced Metasonix synth modules, jesus christ

busty asian pussy is a hell of a drug

im just honestly horrified that something so MTV pop baity would be worthy of using a name which is a homage to Coil. It seems wildly inappropriate to me, almost borderline offensive to the legacy of Coil. I think PC gave Trent the 'ok' on using the name but id be shocked if he would have if he heard this song first before he passed

Mariqueen Maandig is a very generic sounding vocalist to my ears. She needs some major filters or distortion or something over her voice to make it more sonically worthwhile... This being said I have only heard two HtDA tracks so perhaps she will impress or diversify on other tracks I've yet to hear.

The production under the vocal is very slick.

I still maintain that the only HTDA output that has exited me even a little bit was the artwork for the first EP.

how-to-destroy-angels_647x647.jpg

30834347_27963620_trimmed.jpg

I would have got the vinyl just for those if the music hadn't been so totally do-nothingy for me.

it almost sounds like he's trying to conjure the knife but by doing so made it sound like a saccharine pop song, which somehow the knife manages not to do even though a lot of it sounds very poppy. Its got those odd country music /miley cyrus overly processed vocal harmonies that are insanely bad

it almost sounds like he's trying to conjure the knife

I haven't heard much by the knife but I do like that Fever Ray album, & I think what sets it apart from this (besides an interesting vocalist) is a feeling of genuine curiosity & discovery in the sound design, which is a pretty big thing for me in synthpop that isn't full of catchy melodic hooks.

T-Rez has never been much of a synth wizard to my ears. The 90s albums were sonically enchanting because they were full of unconventionally dense drug/depression-fuelled soundscapes, & as his productions have come to rely more on conventional electronic music implements they've begun to feel a bit empty to me. With Teeth & Year Zero were a'ight because it felt like he spent some time on them. Ghosts & the soundtracks were a'ight because it felt like he was making an active effort to try out new instruments & genres. But this HTDA isn't really defining itself to me beyond "it has a girl doing an impression of mellow Trent Reznor"

the new video is kinda good visual tho

for me its just so fucking like.... OK TRENT I GET IT. repetitive drum beats, simple droning analog synths, that shit is fucking AWESOME.

but only,

no. no trent. it's not. you just suck.

and not only that but now you have me feeling like a tard for ever thinking you didn't. my only solace is that i was a dumb kid. but hey i guess doing more stuff like perfect drug with interesting patterns and such, and patterns that CHANGE, or entirely NEW patterns being introduced, all that takes soooo muuuuch effooooort.

its his fucking career though! what does he do? program a simple drum beat into a drum machine, record 5 minutes of it, call it a day then go out for dinner?

Guest bitroast

this sounds awful.

it sounds like the kind of one off song you'd over hear on the radio or channel surfing and quickly think "lol someones been listening to aphex twin" and then forget about. like, remove the nin association and .. it sounds awful.

my god this is fucking horrible, it sounds like Trent Reznor producing a Christina Aguilera album, holy shit guy what happened to you. I liked you better even during the steroid thick necked era when you spent hundreds of thousands on overpriced Metasonix synth modules, jesus christ

busty asian pussy is a hell of a drug

LOL, no shit.

Awepittance said basically everything I have to say about this. Except one thing.

Since I was a teenager, I've been amazed at how much more acceptable, and even important, it is that complexity, subtlety, surprise, and ambiguity are in visuals than in audio. I've seen so many mouthwatering sleeves and videos for music that turns out to completely bore or disgust me. Since iTunes became the great tabernacle of consumable media, this has progressively worsened.

Now from the guy who oversaw inspiring albums like Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, and the Downward Spiral, not to mention some patchy companion EPs that nevertheless featured great moments like Coil's remix of "the downward spiral", comes this steaming pile of overblown, overproduced shit that exemplifies this phenomenon better than anything in my recent memory.

yeah good points, even if all the videos were like masterpieces in avant garde visuals like each song had a Cremaster quality companion it still is not going to save the depravity at play here.

i posted something about this on facebook and somebody wrote a very rambly response

It's a collabo with his wife/baby mama, who he met on Twitter. Her previous job was call girl and her previous sugar daddy was Tila Tequila from Myspace's former sugar daddy. Her previous band was called "West Indian Girl," which she got hired for at an open audition, because she's Filipina and that looked 'West Indian' enough for her Caucasian bandmates. What did you expect?

i wonder is any of that true? if so more lols to be had.

heres a rant that i'm sure everyone will disagree with. just glancing at the track titles gives me the impression that this is reznor's what, 3rd or is it 4th apocalypse prediction/fantasy album? i know republicans are just awful, but does anyone else think its a bit funny for a dude who has built his career on trying to seem evil, to make all these albums warning us about the evil republicans?

i mean the dude used to record/live where the charles manson murders happened. he recorded and helped give birth to the self proclaimed antichrist marilyn mansons 'antichrist superstar' album there and i think i saw MM say it was his dream come true to record there. i've seen reznor try to act aloof and claim he had no idea that the place was where the murders happened until after he bought it, but then why did he go on to name it 'le pig' studios after what was written on the walls in the blood of the victims? he made a career from pretending to be dark and evil and by surrounding himself with people whose image was all that they were dark and evil. i've actually had people debate this with me (claiming that 'evil' had absolutely nothing to do with that whole image) which i think is fucking absurd. you have no ground to stand on with claims that reznor ever did anything short of presenting himself as some dark twisted, possibly demonic dude early in his career. i know this is the case because it's part of what i myself liked about him, as a dumb kid.

so why and how exactly am i supposed to tolerate this same guy preaching about those EVIL guys who want to destroy the fucking planet? a guy who wrote a song called burn where he says he wants to burn the world down. yes i know it's 'art' and he's an 'artist', and he probably didn't literally mean it. but he passed himself off as a guy who meant it. he sold that image, to KIDS. he made a living by basically acting like a devil. now he tries to act like some peacenick fucking do-gooder fighting for the forces of good. and the weirdest thing is that his videos still look like some kind of demon spawn nonsense! wtf!?

obviously he made the choice to try to profit from a trendy political message when it became a common thing to do. it's a shame that he's more concerned about making money by posing as whatever image he thinks will sell the most at any given moment, like a politician, than with making actual art/good music. but it's his choice. i think he's basically been dishonest as fuck and i think artists get a free pass on this for some reason when they shouldn't. just saying 'its art' does not excuse dishonesty. either he wants to be a fucking vampire/devil/beezlebub, or he wants to save us from those evil republicans. the two things are at odds, so he cant be both. if republicans are truly the source of all that is evil, then our fallen dark saviour lord lucifer would surely dig them right? the fragile will surely remain his best musical effort. maybe because he actually thought about... you know, the MUSIC on it a little bit instead of trying to make some trendy shallow, contradictory statement to sell records? being an artist is not a shield that means you can say or do anything and not be at all held accountable for it. especially if you are going to start talking politics. at that point anything you say is just as much open for criticism as it would be if it were said by a pundit, which trent has basically become.

honestly i don't think his political album themes have anything to do with republicans at all. I would say just based on Year Zero alone, and all the viral internet marketing before it came out, Trent was having some kind of new world order conspiracy theory era for himself, probably even catching the Alex Jones show once in a while. Maybe i missed something where he was going after republicans specifically?

yeah id say you did. the art in the album with the hand holding the bible and the other holding a gun. thats not a thinly veiled shot at republicans/right wing people at all. its pretty well beyond obvious and blatant. the performance he wanted to do for 'the hand that feeds' with bush's image on backdrop behind him at the mtv music awards would be another clue. the fact that lots of special interest based concerns raised in year zero are clearly things the left are typically associated with, and all/most of the behaviors that are portrayed as creating the distopia are things typically associated with repubs/right wingers. the gays in the one video getting abducted and 'dissapeared' by the (right wing totalitarian) swat team as one example. pollution destroying earth is another theme, and is apparently something republicans love, and in the real world left wing people are the ones going around talking about selling carbon credits to save the world from global warming.

in this video he basically says that yes, that album was about republicans destroying the world:
[youtubehd]1Ww7cjY9Z8o[/youtubehd]

i dont see how anyone could have payed any attention to that album or what he was saying, and miss that it had everything to do with republican/right wing types who are hell bent on persecuting gays, polluting, installing a totalitarian dictatorship, shooting people with guns for fun, dropping bombs because they are cool, etc etc etc.

it was made very clear and i think everyone knew it, but plenty of people still for some reason try to deny that thats what it was about.

which is yet another problem i have with him and his political statements. he made it like 90% clear what he was saying in the lyrics, and all of the supplemental stuff that went with the album, but left that little bit of wiggle room for ambiguity just in case it would hurt sales or ever be used against him if he actually just came out and said what he was saying in a more direct way. thats cowardice. i dont like neil young, but at least he had the balls to come out and put what he thought right in his fucking ALBUM'S NAME. if you think something why not just say it? i guess so that if someone ever points out how ridiculous it is that you think one party is driven to destroy the world and the other is here to stop that, even when basically NOTHING has changed in the last 4 yrs, you can still have that little area of doubt to be able to say 'no, it wasn't about republicans'. but it was. he admitted it in the youtube vid, in other places, just not in the actual album. its like evidence he knew that what he was saying is retarded and was being a little non-committal with it. i mean he actually tried to say that 'signs his name with a capital G' had nothing to do with george bush. thats so fucking hilariously ridiculous. why don't he change his name to 'worlds biggest pussy alive'?

this is all really besides the points i was trying to make previously. i dont really care about the political statement itself, i mean i do and i think its full retard, but that's not my main gripe. i care about the contradictory nature of the guy's stances and the fact that he just clearly paints himself as whatever he thinks will sell, without caring if it contradicts what he was last year. if being a christian (full disclosure- i'm not) had been or became fashionable and hip, he would or will become a righteous holy dude eventually.

Archived