IGNORED

Marvel Movies [formerly MCU]

Rubin Farr

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I basically agree with Moore. I don't think he's against the existence of escapist pop culture at all (he still writes League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and a bunch goofy ass Lovecraft inspired comics) so much as crass corporate nostalgia that only sells our childhoods back to us in a louder, more expensive package.

Edited by doublename

Umm, you know it's Alan Moore being quoted there right?

Perhaps he's intellectually so closeted now, disconnected, but i am a little shocked that he would be so cruel. It's just not magical cricket, mr. moore.

Of course he's got more of a right to comment on super heroes than your average guardian pleb, but not on the quality of films being released currently. Did you see the abomination that he wrote and produced? Most feral. heh.

Umm, you know it's Alan Moore being quoted there right?

Perhaps he's intellectually so closeted now, disconnected, but i am a little shocked that he would be so cruel. It's just not magical cricket, mr. moore.

Of course he's got more of a right to comment on super heroes than your average guardian pleb, but not on the quality of films being released currently. Did you see the abomination that he wrote and produced? Most feral. heh.

Umm afaik he's disassociated himself with any of the major projects that got put out with his name attached. That's simply the rights holders screwing him over. Which one are you talking about?

his heavy heart, jimmy's end and act of faith. I think we mentioned them on watmm at some point. I don't dislike moore, i just really didn't like that statement. He's a complicated man, (no this isn't anyone's convoluted and clichéd get out clause), filled with contradicting opinion, some of which i admire and when i've heard him talk, which he's very good at, the man is quite engaging. Still though, i've had enough of this platitudinal etendue (heeh), it's tedious. There are better cauldrons into which should flow your boiling bile.

/goes back to check the article in question, in case he's digging himself into that cauldron here. Ahh yeah i did read that piece. context is everything, and the quote alone is kind of out of. /gets out of hole in ground, brushes off flakes of bronze and strides off to beddee bed.

New animated series Guardians of the Galaxy Origins fills in the cracks until the next movie, not to be confused with the upcoming animated series on Disney XD.

I basically agree with Moore. I don't think he's against the existence of escapist pop culture at all (he still writes League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and a bunch goofy ass Lovecraft inspired comics) so much as crass corporate nostalgia that only sells our childhoods back to us in a louder, more expensive package.

his comments resonate pretty strongly with me, especially when you combine them with other elements of vacuous tentpole movies. I have to admit I don't remember so many generic big budget super hero/scifi movies having such forced in emotional heartstring tugging moments in them. The Marvel movies especially are filled with these emo moments and to me they've always felt calculated by some kind of shitty focus group in a way that i didn't feel maybe 10 years ago. Having movies based on characters designed to excite 12 year old boys in the 1950s combined with 'adult' manufactured/superficial emotional catharsis to me is a very alarming trend overall. Its putting even more a sheen of unreality/fantasy on our actual lives not just the way we escape in the movies.

"wow i just felt something while watching Antman that I never actually feel in my real life because I spend all of it playing call of duty and iphone puzzle games" <-- very fucking disturbing

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Deadpool is a terrible character.

edit: lol 14 year olds don't remember 1997, so none of these jokes will land anyway.

Edited by doublename

Not like this is life changing news, but an interesting read I agree with on how Blade was actually the beginning of the modern Marvel MCU, X-Men and all, and how fucked up it is the movies dictate what the comics are now.

http://io9.com/a-look-back-at-the-marvel-movies-influence-on-the-comic-1704762261

That's just the costume he wears before the Avengers give him a real one, right?

That seems to be the case, Tony Stark builds him a functioning suit, making him "Team Stark" as they are referring to it. I've never read Civil War so I'm just quoting what I've read on nerd blogs so far.

Pretty lame spidey suit.

I'm guessing its another spider man origin story and he doesn't have his proper suit yet.

Can't wait.

Pretty lame spidey suit.

I'm guessing its another spider man origin story and he doesn't have his proper suit yet.

Can't wait.

Apparently they're not doing the origin story this time, so no uncle death and no spider bite scene. He is going to be a teenager that can't relate to and is shunned by his peers though, which sounds a bit dire given that the people making these things usually don't have a clue what this is through the perspective of their perfect lives. This was all from an interview with the director.

Guest Enter a new display name

I was watching The Avengers out of boredom on the airplane and this movie was total shit. I could not watch any more of it after 30 minutes. This movie is actually praised? I probably would have liked it if it came out in the early 00s when I was still a teenager.

Marvel movies are really just light, inoffensive comedy occasionally interrupted by insipid violence. I wish they would just let someone do 90 minutes of superhero bantz, or a stealth remake of Manhattan with Hulk in the Woody Allen role.

• 2 weeks later...